Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proof 3P is not just sw unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw attached in the parts catalog. Does this settle the software only argument once and for all? The high voltage electronic controllers are different in LR vs LR Perf variants.

Attachments

• AC1A7104-0FEF-4BB9-84DC-23FBD3193E54.jpeg
    AC1A7104-0FEF-4BB9-84DC-23FBD3193E54.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 165
But what about all the Monroney sticker that performance models get that say AWD (and no mention of performance)?

So far those all seem to be actual performance cars (without the now mandatory extra perf package) that had incorrect software loads. Since there's no way to visually distinguish the cars it makes sense the incorrect software could have been loaded.

The 2 parts that OP highlighted, one is for the mid-range and the other one is for the Performance.

It does not prove that the Performance version is not just a software unlicked version of AWD

I am convinced that the performance and AWD are physically identical, even though Elon said that they screen for special motors to install in the Performance model. My hunch is that during the crazy ramp up period to produce 5000 to 6000 cars per week, they most likely did not have the time to actually screen and test all the motors and decided to just software lock the AWD version. It is just a hunch.

Reactions: Msjulie and P85_DA
I am convinced that the performance and AWD are physically identical, even though Elon said that they screen for special motors to install in the Performance model. My hunch is that during the crazy ramp up period to produce 5000 to 6000 cars per week, they most likely did not have the time to actually screen and test all the motors and decided to just software lock the AWD version. It is just a hunch.

This could be completely true, and if so who cares? As long as you get the performance you paid for (0-60) and it's warranted for the performance it's all the same.

I find it funny in 2018 people are upset they are paying for software (if that is the case).

The 2 parts that OP highlighted, one is for the mid-range and the other one is for the Performance.

It does not prove that the Performance version is not just a software unlicked version of AWD

This goes what everyone else was saying. Same motors (other than a possible burnin) but slightly different battery electronics.

Electric cars are not like gas cars. The limiting factor in the acceleration of an EV is not in general the motor itself. Sure it has to be sized appropriately but you can get more power out of the same motor by increasing current.

The primary difference between the perf and awd isn't the motors, it's the inverters and other equipment between the battery and the motor

Frankly, even if it was all software - most of the cost to Tesla is higher warranty claims due to running the car much harder. The idea that what you purchase *MUST* also be a hardware difference is silly.

Its not silly.

Many people didn't want to pay all of that money for just software. - and now we know that they didn't.

Its spelled out in a much more detailed thread elsewhere in TMC

Its not silly.

Many people didn't want to pay all of that money for just software. - and now we know that they didn't.

Its spelled out in a much more detailed thread elsewhere in TMC

Then don't pay for it. And enjoy a slower car. In the end you are buying a capability. And the rest of us who feel that extra capability is worth the cost for it will be enjoying that.

There are dozens of multi billion dollar companies purely making and selling 'nothing but software'. Doesn't bug most of us one bit.

Then don't. And enjoy a slower car. In the end you are buying a capability. And the rest of us who feel that extra capability is worth the cost for it will be enjoying that.

There are multi billion dollar companies purely making and selling 'nothing but software'. Doesn't bug most of us one bit.

That's not true....it bugs many people here in TMC....hence the other mile - long thread about this subject matter.

How are these comments generated without proof or backup.

The performance model is more than just a faster car. That's why its getting track mode. For one....it has the brakes for it.