Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proper way to use climate control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes my kids nap in the car and I’d just park in the garage and leave the doors open. However, after 20-30 mins the AC would shut down as if it thinks no one is in the car. So I would set the climate control to ON but inevitably after a while the AC would start blasting to level 8 or 9 which is super cold and loud causing the kids to wake up. What’s the proper way to set it?

If doors are open the HVAC will try to cool (or heat) your garage.

Either shut HVAC off and leave doors open. Or use Dog Mode and shut the doors and Windows.

I do love my dogs and Dog Mode and set a timer for every 10 min to check it when I use it. I’m not sure I’d trust the technology on a my kids.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: BulletToothWoo
The problem is we don’t want to close the doors because it often wakes the kids up. The doors need some force to close. Any other suggestions?
Our current practice is to check on the kids every 20 mins or so and adjust the temperature slightly to keep the car thinking someone is still in the car.

Last edited:
Bite the bullet and bring the kids in the house.
Or if you are really desperate go drive around some more.

Totally agree.

dont leave children in the car

You must be lucky to have kids that are good nappers, older kids where it doesn't matter, or no kids at all. My kids are at the age where they still need at least one nap a day. For example, if they nod off in the car for as little as 5 minutes while driving home after lunch and we wake them up to move them inside, it's enough of a recharge to keep them from falling asleep for their afternoon nap. That leads to really tired and fussy kids the rest of the day. I don't leave them alone in the car with the HVAC running a la Dog Mode, but if one or both are asleep when we get home, my wife or I will sit in the car with them until they wake up. A 20-30 minute nap in the car seat is better than nothing and I'm not going to drive them around aimlessly when the same can be accomplished with the car parked in the garage.

Sometimes my kids nap in the car and I’d just park in the garage and leave the doors open. However, after 20-30 mins the AC would shut down as if it thinks no one is in the car. So I would set the climate control to ON but inevitably after a while the AC would start blasting to level 8 or 9 which is super cold and loud causing the kids to wake up. What’s the proper way to set it?

The problem is we don’t want to close the doors because it often wakes the kids up. The doors need some force to close. Any other suggestions?
Our current practice is to check on the kids every 20 mins or so and adjust the temperature slightly to keep the car thinking someone is still in the car.

The interior of my garage easily gets to >100F this time of the year, but even with one door partly open it doesn't need to turn up the blower to 8-9 to maintain 72-75F in the cabin. You could can always just set it on manual with the leave AC on function enabled. And you are checking on the kids, right? Or they being left in the car completely unattended?