Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

protecting against break ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you live in an area where car break ins are common if not epidemic, you are right to be concerned. For us:
Model S - leave parcel shelf off
Model 3 - leave back seats down when parked
Try to plan our daily trips so nothing of value is left in car when we need to park. Either drop things off at home after buying and before heading out let’s say for dinner where will be out of car for a while. Or carry a package in with us to dinner.
Not fun to plan around this but at least for time being better than having a broken window or other theft.

We already have a dashcam-2channel on our MS. Had it when that car had the triangular window broken (nothing in trunk). Having the video was pretty much useless as far as any police investigation. Better use is for recording accidents. Based on this experience not sure Sentry cam on Model 3 coming up will be any more useful to preventing break ins on that car. Again feel it will be be more useful for accidents.

Seen these seat locks a few people have been promoting but not sure perps will notice before breaking window or won’t look at that as driver has something to protect in the car. Hard to say.

I’d say be smart and plan ahead if you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: C141medic
I have thought about bonding a piece of Plexiglas to the outside of the rear triangular windows. Strong enough to prevent breaking but thin enough and weather resistant to last the lifetime of the car. Unfortunately I found out this morning that the local TAP Plastics store closed some time ago. There's another one in town but it can't get there until this weekend.

If something like this is workable then I'd do that in addition to adding rear seat locks and a sticker on the window saying the seats are locked. That might result in the thief breaking the rear door window(s) but I think it's worth a shot.

Trunk Monkey.

You need to one-up that sh%t to the next level with a tactical trunk monkey.

MSM-P-00001_alt1

I have thought about bonding a piece of Plexiglas to the outside of the rear triangular windows. Strong enough to prevent breaking but thin enough and weather resistant to last the lifetime of the car. Unfortunately I found out this morning that the local TAP Plastics store closed some time ago. There's another one in town but it can't get there until this weekend.

If something like this is workable then I'd do that in addition to adding rear seat locks and a sticker on the window saying the seats are locked. That might result in the thief breaking the rear door window(s) but I think it's worth a shot.

Lexan would be pretty break proof if trying to replace the whole little window. I’ve been to TAP plastic before so your post got me to pull up their website. OMG were you talking about the location on Blossom Hill near Almaden (also down from the Black Angus parking lot where our MS had its window smashed)? I don’t see that location listed for San Jose any more. :( It was so convenient to other shopping for me. At least I won’t get surprised next time I plan to drive there for project items. The things you can learn from this forum...priceless!

Just need to plan ahead. If you’ll be parking somewhere in public, do not leave anything in your trunk. Do not leave anything in sight. Not even an iPhone cable. Leave your rear seats folded down. (Mine are folded down 95% of the time now). Park as closest as you can to the front entrance (not somewhere far away to avoid door dings). Have the rear face the entrance if possible. Until Tesla relocates the rear seat hatch, that’s probably as much as you can do. And until someone actually gets caught with the upcoming sentry mode, I’m not counting on it as a true deterrent.

Lexan would be pretty break proof if trying to replace the whole little window. I’ve been to TAP plastic before so your post got me to pull up their website. OMG were you talking about the location on Blossom Hill near Almaden (also down from the Black Angus parking lot where our MS had its window smashed)? I don’t see that location listed for San Jose any more. :(
Yup, that was the one. I live about two miles from there in Almaden Valley. The other one is on The Alameda. I've also been to the Black Angus and Fish Market many times but not so far with the 3.

It would probably be more effective to replace the entire window but if it's possible to use some sort of (transparent) acrylic glue and bond it to the window, that would be easiest. I'll try to get to the store on The Alameda Saturday and see what they say.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I’m surprised local police haven’t started a local Tesla sting operation... should be very easy to troll thief’s preying on Tesla’s.

They don't even bother trying to arrest these folks when people have video of who did it- not worth their time since CA passed a law that would only let them charge misdemeanor theft instead of a felony.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911