TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Proximity sensor just went inside the bumper

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by RyanA, Jun 22, 2018.

1. RyanA

RyanA Member

Ugh - my proximity sensor just went into the rear bumper at 1k miles. Bleh. Anyone knows how to fix or I need to service this?

IMG-8149.JPG

(I also need a carwash)

Now it always tells me to stop when I am reversing because the sensor is saying no more room in the back and there's a big hole in the rear bumper

2. Mbrockus

Mbrockus Member

I'd get the service center to correct that.

• Like x 1
  3. mekberg

mekberg Member

Pulling the rear bumper cover requires removal of ~20 fasteners including the tail lights.

If it's the side or corner sensor you can get away with a couple push clips, torx T25, and felt nut in the wheel well.

4. mekberg

mekberg Member

If you want I can make you a quick video of these locations. I'm quite familiar as I installed a hitch last weekend.

• Informative x 1
  5. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I had that happen in the front when I hit some road debris. There was no other damage, just that. Service center fixed it while I waited. I think they said there was a broken clip. I was not charged anything.

• Informative x 1
  6. RyanA

RyanA Member

Thanks guys! made appointment to service center for next Friday.

7. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

this used to upset me on my old e46 compact so much. used to happen all the time. Major undertaking to get to them.

8. RyanA

RyanA Member

Got this fixed today for free and got a free carwash. There are slight scratches from the carwash though.. normal when it is a free car wash. just fyi if you are ocd and looking through the sun in an angle.. you know what I mean.

wait time: around 2 hours

9. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

Yeah if you don’t like swirls on your clear coat, don’t let the service center or any other dealership wash your car