Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: "Battery Coolant Heater" not included in battery warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2015 Model S has about 104k miles on it. The HV battery failed and was replaced under warranty last March and it failed again and was replaced in September. Last week the car began displaying a "service required, car may not restart" message so we took it to the SC today, expecting that the HV battery had failed again. This time, though, the preliminary diagnosis is a failed "battery coolant heater." The quoted repair cost is about $850 and, according to Tesla, "only the battery pack itself is covered under the battery warranty."

I would have expected that this would be covered under the battery warranty but, alas, it is not. (Just like I expected that the motor/axle seals that leaked last year would be considered part of the drivetrain, but they weren't.)

You've gone through two batteries now, suspect it was the battery coolant heater that ruined both of your prior packs and they only now caught it. I might mention that to them, as well as the wasted time and inconvenience of having gone through two battery replacements over an issue that was only now diagnosed. Make some noise.

Me too should got to replace this part on my Model S. The car is from 2014 june with 60000 miles on it. It goes without saying that this is not a heat pump and cannot function as a cooler, right? How bad is it for the battery if the heating system fails? Permanent battery damage?
Battery heating system affects the available power from the high voltage battery, but is that system covered by a monitoring system? Don't think at all, because you will not be notified at all.

How did you figure out that the heater was bad?
When my battery heater went bad, I got the specific warnings below. I had limited acceleration and zero regen.
20200214_150750.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
How did you figure out that the heater was bad?
Very good question!
They actually haven't given me an explanation yet. Another problem is that the staff sometimes have no clue about it. Well, during the last year, when I supercharged the power started much lower, it also declined faster, which is also what I read here on this forum. As a result, it took 2 hours and a half to charge from 10% to 90%. Has been passed on to Tesla Assistance several times to annoying. You just had to know how much time it takes you to explain this too, with the lengthy queue times ... while most operators are clueless. Finally, after almost a year and an explicit insistence from me, they made an appointment for a service visit.
But they wanted to investgate remotely, they still wanted some more information, and I had to provide them with data such as times, percentages, etc. However I had previously passed that data to the Tesla Assistance several times over several charges over months. This way you will find out that they actually do nothing with it. Besides, the service advisor from the Service Center in the area said they can only look back eight days. Do you have to take this seriously?( after all those calls, should have had a smartphone that registered them ... ) After a few seconds I understand from that man that he is not technically skilled ... . Because he came up with a number of things, the first was that the AC DC ratio was not favorable and therefore the supercharging was smothered. No fun, if you want to make a trip of 600-700 miles. With this change I would have to count an extra day for this trip compared to normal supercharging. The development of the charging capacity had also changed according to an update from Tesla sometime in early 2019. I was particularly perplexed by that AC DC ratio, actually discriminating and never informed before, the way they want to determine the use of your car. I still have a another, company car that I use every day for work and the Model S is more of a pleasure car to go on holiday or discover.
Many times I tried to point out that it could be something with the temperature management.
After I called him to ask what the investigation revealed he kept insisting that everything is normal, checked, "and pay attention, sir, if you want to come to the service center anyway, if our people don't find anything, you pay all the hours they would have spent."
Consequently, I judged the recent interaction with Service Advisor poor. More than 3 weeks later (March 26, 2020) I suddenly get a Tesla Service Estimate in which they present the replacement of the battery heater. Then I called that guy and had to hear again an evasive explanation that the so-called from above found the defect. Not happy at all with such a statement that you can't even call it, I replied that I am fed up and I am going to file a complaint.

I recently had to pay for my battery heater to be replaced out of warranty on my 2015 85D. Technically the high voltage junction box also failed. I did not get any alerts, the only thing obvious to me is the car wouldn't charge when it was cold out.

I feel the battery heater is a more common failure thing than people realize because seemingly a lot of times the driver is not alerted.

• Informative
Reactions: brucet999
Our 2015 Model S has about 104k miles on it. The HV battery failed and was replaced under warranty last March and it failed again and was replaced in September. Last week the car began displaying a "service required, car may not restart" message so we took it to the SC today, expecting that the HV battery had failed again. This time, though, the preliminary diagnosis is a failed "battery coolant heater." The quoted repair cost is about $850 and, according to Tesla, "only the battery pack itself is covered under the battery warranty."

I would have expected that this would be covered under the battery warranty but, alas, it is not. (Just like I expected that the motor/axle seals that leaked last year would be considered part of the drivetrain, but they weren't.)
Wow, that's a big bill; roughly equal to the cost of the 21 oil changes that you never needed.

"battery coolant heater." Did they happen to explain why one would need to heat coolant? :)

Did they investigate and explain why the battery failed twice? I know they have a new battery version now that's supposed to prevent the "Battery Charge Level will be Restricted" issue. Was that the error you encountered or something else, possibly attributed to the battery heater failing? Tesla is always improving and I'm sure they're working to make battery failures a thing of the past.

I recently had to pay for my battery heater to be replaced out of warranty on my 2015 85D. Technically the high voltage junction box also failed. I did not get any alerts, the only thing obvious to me is the car wouldn't charge when it was cold out.

I feel the battery heater is a more common failure thing than people realize because seemingly a lot of times the driver is not alerted.

Great, I als watched your "5 years of Endless Tesla Problems" very informative video, honest and truthful! I really appreciate this.

The tricky part is that when it comes to a 2014 Model S 85, no notification appears. I was still able to charge and it was just a lot slower in the last year. One day I left at a temperature of 32 °F (the car is always under the carport) and I had no regeneration at all for the first 15 miles. For example, yesterday at 55 °F. Preheating for 45 'brought the regen from just under 30 to above 60kW.
As said before, calling Tesla Support no longer helped as before until 2017 when people were still properly assisted. Especially when they don't explain the actual problem in the beginning and try to keep you on the lead with, for example, that DC charging is way too high compared to AC. The car has 91000 km and they talk about 2863 hours AC and 5060 hours DC, I do not understand that hours are relevant? Supercharging at 120kW or 80kW, then 80kW is worse because you have to wait about twice as long. In other words a vicious circle, can you follow? Let alone the reason why they discourage DC charging ...

Reactions: InternetDude
Did they investigate and explain why the battery failed twice? I know they have a new battery version now that's supposed to prevent the "Battery Charge Level will be Restricted" issue. Was that the error you encountered or something else, possibly attributed to the battery heater failing? Tesla is always improving and I'm sure they're working to make battery failures a thing of the past.

They didn't appear to investigate any further than diagnosing and replacing the heater. This far, knock on wood, the car seems fine. Granted we're not driving it as much as we have in recent months, with us all trapped at home like veal these days.

52,000 miles, 3 years 11 months, and I'm told the 4-year warranty is also limited to 50k miles. I didn't remember that. And, the drivetrain/battery warranty doesn't cover the heater.
For me, I told the car to drive to a supercharger and it automatically went into pre-heat mode for faster charging.
As soon as I plugged in the super-charger, poof - warning: car may not start, and acceleration is decreased, with no regenerative braking.

Bill is $700 plus tax. And, they charged me another $160 for something related to my tires, which I never requested as I'm getting them replaced next week.
I suspect Tesla has switched into regain profit mode.

Yes, cars are expensive, but Tesla was being better about realizing they are still learning, at our expensive expense.

52,000 miles, 3 years 11 months, and I'm told the 4-year warranty is also limited to 50k miles. I didn't remember that. And, the drivetrain/battery warranty doesn't cover the heater.
For me, I told the car to drive to a supercharger and it automatically went into pre-heat mode for faster charging.
As soon as I plugged in the super-charger, poof - warning: car may not start, and acceleration is decreased, with no regenerative braking.

Bill is $700 plus tax. And, they charged me another $160 for something related to my tires, which I never requested as I'm getting them replaced next week.
I suspect Tesla has switched into regain profit mode.

Yes, cars are expensive, but Tesla was being better about realizing they are still learning, at our expensive expense.
You didn't pay that $160 w/o authorizing it or even knowing what it's for, right?

You didn't pay that $160 w/o authorizing it or even knowing what it's for, right?

It was a labor charge if I wanted to change the tires. The bill wasn't very clear.
The thing about the heater is still questionable in timing. What is the KW rate that should be charging when at a 150kw supercharger? This summer, I was noticing I never got above 60kw. And, there wasn't anyone else at the station. I don't know if I was under 50k miles at that point, but I'm wondering if the car is smart enough to know the heater was not performing, as opposed to when it failed.
So, what should the charging rate be for a 150kw supercharger, when a Model S-90 is at 20% charge?

Just replaced my coolant heater under warranty. 55,000 k, 2015 P85D. Took a week to get the part. Also, they checked each of my tires for wear and alignment which is odd because they sold and installed the tires 2 weeks ago! Now waiting for them to fix connectivity and maps. Could be MCU? First issue in over 3 years, so there's that!

Hmm, they replaced it at 55k miles? (5k miles over the supposed 50k mile warranty)? That's awesome. I've also had the secondary screen (in front of the steering wheel) replaced several months ago. Under warranty, they've been great. This was my first experience out of warranty.
I think they just always check tires.

Do you mind posting the bill so I can share with my service department? Do they have a private message feature here? twitter: @SteveLasker