Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: "Battery Coolant Heater" not included in battery warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2015 Model S has about 104k miles on it. The HV battery failed and was replaced under warranty last March and it failed again and was replaced in September. Last week the car began displaying a "service required, car may not restart" message so we took it to the SC today, expecting that the HV battery had failed again. This time, though, the preliminary diagnosis is a failed "battery coolant heater." The quoted repair cost is about $850 and, according to Tesla, "only the battery pack itself is covered under the battery warranty."

I would have expected that this would be covered under the battery warranty but, alas, it is not. (Just like I expected that the motor/axle seals that leaked last year would be considered part of the drivetrain, but they weren't.)

Ask anyone with a 5 year old 100k mile Mercedes or BMW how much money they have had to spend on repairs and maintenance. The expectations are a little skewed around here. The battery is fine, what does a cooling system have to do with it? Does an ICE manufacturer fix your radiator for free because of your catalytic converter warranty? You need both for the engine to run right but it doesn't follow that one warranty covers everything in the entire powertrain.

Reactions: outdoors
I would have expected that this would be covered under the battery warranty but, alas, it is not. (Just like I expected that the motor/axle seals that leaked last year would be considered part of the drivetrain, but they weren't.)

Your car has an 8 year unlimited mile "drive unit" warranty - not drivetrain warranty. An important distinction as you discovered.

Much the same for the "battery" warranty, which is not a "battery system" warranty.

Your car has 100k miles on it. Stuff breaks. You know how many BMW's have had failed cooling systems out of warranty???

My issue wasn't that something broke. I had just assumed that a battery pack heater was an integral component of the battery pack and would therefore be under warranty. I posted this to inform anyone else who might be under the same incorrect assumption. That's all.

Our 2015 Model S has about 104k miles on it. The HV battery failed and was replaced under warranty last March and it failed again and was replaced in September. Last week the car began displaying a "service required, car may not restart" message so we took it to the SC today, expecting that the HV battery had failed again. This time, though, the preliminary diagnosis is a failed "battery coolant heater." The quoted repair cost is about $850 and, according to Tesla, "only the battery pack itself is covered under the battery warranty."

The battery heater is outside the battery pack so it’s not on the battery warranty

You've gone through two batteries now, suspect it was the battery coolant heater that ruined both of your prior packs and they only now caught it. I might mention that to them, as well as the wasted time and inconvenience of having gone through two battery replacements over an issue that was only now diagnosed. Make some noise.

Hmmm. Good thought. I hadn't considered that possibility.

You've gone through two batteries now, suspect it was the battery coolant heater that ruined both of your prior packs and they only now caught it. I might mention that to them, as well as the wasted time and inconvenience of having gone through two battery replacements over an issue that was only now diagnosed. Make some noise.
I think that's highly unlikely. The heater is closely monitored by the software and the underlying error code throws the "service required, car may not restart" message immediately. The effect on the battery would be that the battery temperature would be too low to charge or to provide full energy and the BMS would prevent damage to the battery under this condition.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
This thread apparently jinxed me. Got the same error/warning msgs even though car continued to drive and charge just fine. Service just responded and said review of the logs shows the battery coolant heater needs to be replaced. In next week... under warranty still thank goodness.

Also had this happen 10 days ago and just took it to the SC today (27k miles, Oct 2016 build). My driving efficiency (miles/wh) seemed lower in recent months and curious if this is related or if reduced efficiency is due to recent software updates. Recently had air conditioner serviced and I thought battery was cooled using the air conditioner and also wondering if this is just a coincidence ???

I replaced pump number 2 this week. If the heater fails I will change it,. Get them off Ebay. Pump 1 and 2 take 5 minutes to change.
Heater will take longer. Oh, my antique has 3 pumps and 4 diverter valves.
I wonder why you have gone thru so many heaters??? Mines a 2012, 156k miles. Weird. Something else is wrong.

Blue, the AC does cool the battery coolant. There is a heat exchanger under power steering pump that has freon pumping thru it when sensor says fluid is to hot, a diverter valve also opens directing coolant thru it.
I'm having distance and charge rate issues, related to battery coolant temperatures.
I downloaded instructions off you tube with great diagrams. Everyone needs to read this

Blue, the AC does cool the battery coolant. There is a heat exchanger under power steering pump that has freon pumping thru it when sensor says fluid is to hot, a diverter valve also opens directing coolant thru it.
I'm having distance and charge rate issues, related to battery coolant temperatures.
I downloaded instructions off you tube with great diagrams. Everyone needs to read this
Thanks, my range has really suffered even though it has been a mild winter in the northeast. I'll repost once I get my car back to see if there's any noticeable difference .