Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA for folks getting a new solar install - ask for a map of your panel/optimizer layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, yeah, I would have called them QR codes, but I know what you mean. Scanning them is definitely easier than entering them by hand. But keep in mind that the only way you will be able to enter them at all is if you have solaredge transfer your site away from tesla to your own installer account and accept all of the caveats that come with that. The standard monitoring account doesn’t have access to create or modify a site map.

Ohhhhhh ok so I’ll still have to give up the Tesla app’s usefulness. Hmm. Will consider.

FWIW, QR and data matrix are different. Doesn’t matter to most people, I only know because I work with them

Ohhhhhh ok so I’ll still have to give up the Tesla app’s usefulness. Hmm. Will consider.

I believe the tesla app will continue to work, as long as you keep using the zigbee gateway. However, the bigger concern is that it’s not entirely clear how tesla will handle warranty or service issues if they are no longer the installer associated with your site. If you need to have warranty work done there could potentially be problems if you have the site transferred to your own installer account. At the very least I would wait until after you have PTO to do the transfer just so it doesn’t cause any issues with your PTO.

FWIW, QR and data matrix are different. Doesn’t matter to most people, I only know because I work with them

Well, I learned my one new thing for today.

• Love
Reactions: run-the-joules
BrettS if one is relying on the Tesla zigbee gateway to transmit the production data to both the Tesla and SolarEdge backends, do you think the Tesla zigbee gateway will continue to send the data if the account at SolarEdge is transferred away from Tesla to me the system owner?

Today I had Tesla setup a monitoring account at SolarEdge and I am getting data in both the Tesla app and the SolarEdge monitoring portal using just the Tesla gateway and no ethernet. I'd like to keep this connectivity setup but also be able to organize my layout in the portal to match the way the panels sit on the roof.

Our installation in underway and I asked for panel layout. To my pleasant surprise one of the guys working on the roof pulled his phone out and showed me my roof setup (all 4 sections) in logical layout. He said, we are going to scan panels as we installing them and you will get your setup when it all done.

Last edited:
BrettS if one is relying on the Tesla zigbee gateway to transmit the production data to both the Tesla and SolarEdge backends, do you think the Tesla zigbee gateway will continue to send the data if the account at SolarEdge is transferred away from Tesla to me the system owner?

I can tell you with confidence that it does still work as that is how my inverters have been set up for the last month or so. Transmitting through the zigbee gateway even though I transferred the inverters to my installer account.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I requested a solar edge account from Tesla, and was granted access. However I can only see the “logical” layout and do not have the option to edit the “physical” layout to reflect the actual installed arrangement.

Are there different types of solar edge access and I don’t have the right one?

I emailed solar edge support and they referred me back to my installer (Tesla), so I can see this going in circles...

I requested a solar edge account from Tesla, and was granted access. However I can only see the “logical” layout and do not have the option to edit the “physical” layout to reflect the actual installed arrangement.

Are there different types of solar edge access and I don’t have the right one?

I emailed solar edge support and they referred me back to my installer (Tesla), so I can see this going in circles...

how long did it take for Tesla to setup your solaredge account? Tesla created a ticket for me this morning and wondering how long to wait.

do you have the ability to edit the physical layout?

Editing the physical layout requires an "Installer" account, which means that Tesla no longer has access and they are no longer listed as the site "installer." I opted not to go down this road as I don't want to mess with any future warranty/repair work. Plus, I can always identify the panels via my own serial number mapping.

Took 2 weeks for me to get SolarEdge monitoring access.

Editing the physical layout requires an "Installer" account, which means that Tesla no longer has access and they are no longer listed as the site "installer." I opted not to go down this road as I don't want to mess with any future warranty/repair work. Plus, I can always identify the panels via my own serial number mapping.

Took 2 weeks for me to get SolarEdge monitoring access.

Does SolarEdge allow an export of the panel level data with the panel serial numbers? Or does their API expose this?

My inverter is down right now, but if someone has an export of data I could play with, I could take a stab at making a panel layout visualization tool (in R or maybe a web app).

I'm interested in seeing this data myself eventually, but I'm also wary about removing Tesla as the site installer. When my inverter died, Tesla had to make a warranty claim to SolarEdge and have a new one shipped before they would schedule the repair.

Does SolarEdge allow an export of the panel level data with the panel serial numbers? Or does their API expose this?

My inverter is down right now, but if someone has an export of data I could play with, I could take a stab at making a panel layout visualization tool (in R or maybe a web app).

I'm interested in seeing this data myself eventually, but I'm also wary about removing Tesla as the site installer. When my inverter died, Tesla had to make a warranty claim to SolarEdge and have a new one shipped before they would schedule the repair.

The MySolarEdge app shows optimizer serial numbers when you click on them, but I don’t know if you can export the data for all of them.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller

Got it, thanks! Guess I will make a manual map of my layout.

Awe crap. Do you think this is what Tesla is going to do with the request/ticket that I called in?

I asked for "SolarEdge portal access layout view with panel-level access" and they read me disclaimers and request would be submitted for supervisor approval.

Awe crap. Do you think this is what Tesla is going to do with the request/ticket that I called in?

I asked for "SolarEdge portal access layout view with panel-level access" and they read me disclaimers and request would be submitted for supervisor approval.

Tesla will give you a monitoring account with access to the “logical panel layout”, which simply shows all of your panels in a line in random order. You can get the per panel data, but it doesn’t show a physical representation of where the panels are actually installed.

With Solaredge support, I got the physical layout on my account without going thru all the BS 'installer' account

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark