Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over because of no front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Minnesota where you are required to have a front license plate on. I think it looks bad so I have held off on mounting it. I just got pulled over today for the first time because of it. He said it was required to be on and he checked my tint on my back window and said that needed to come off, I said it was factory. When he came back he said the tint was fine because a model Y is considered an SUV and could stay on. Then his mood totally changed and he asked if he could open my door, I taught him how to do it and I think he literally pulled me over to see what the inside of a Tesla looked like. He let me go with a warning. I think I'm going to take my chances and wait to see if I get pulled over again.

Reactions: VipinLJ
I feel like half the Teslas I see around the Twin Cities doesn't have front plate on. I don't have a problem with having a front plate on but did get a quick bandit to mount mine on the front, which I think looks slightly better than the factory mount.

It sounds more like he used the lack of a front plate as a reason to pull you over and then also tried lying about the tint being illegal on the back to buy more time to keep you pulled over. Was probably looking for something bigger than just a missing front plate and tint. I hope you didn’t open your door and let him look in your car. The cop didn’t give a crap about the Tesla and he wasn’t all of a sudden “cool”. He was trying to get you to agree to a search of your car hoping he could find something else.

In Minnesota the police are well within their rights to pull you over if you don’t have the front plate.
I have also heard of many officers curious about Teslas. Both on a professional and personal level. I am saddened by those that instantly show distrust in officers.

As for the front plate, I also use the quick bandit with my Teslas. It’s stable and easy to remove for car shows or such.

In Minnesota the police are well within their rights to pull you over if you don’t have the front plate.
I have also heard of many officers curious about Teslas. Both on a professional and personal level. I am saddened by those that instantly show distrust in officers.

As for the front plate, I also use the quick bandit with my Teslas. It’s stable and easy to remove for car shows or such.
I honestly think he was interested in the vehicle on a personal level and how the door handle worked. He was a nice guy and I should probably just get a quick bandit. I just think the front end looks really cool and I wanted to see how long I could get away with not covering up the front but I think the jig is up.

Reactions: jmaddr and Zythryn

Yep. bought a Jeep from a police officer and he asked about the Model Y so I offered for him to drive it which he said no just a ride would be good.
I asked if he wanted to see how it accelerates and he said sure so I punched it MYP from near dead stop and he got out the words oh my G.. He really liked all of the camera views and the satellite view and said that would be handy to have in a police vehicle. Nice guy. I bought a quick plate mount but have not mounted it yet since have not been pulled over.

Front plates are required here too. Drove around for over a year with no front plate. Most Teslas and many other cars have no front plate. Never was tagged for that. Got a Quick Bandit and a custom plate. Now I want the front plate on. It's perfect for this car.

I asked if he wanted to see how it accelerates and he said sure so I punched it MYP from near dead stop and he got out the words oh my G.. He really liked all of the camera views and the satellite view and said that would be handy to have in a police vehicle...
I really don't have time for Tesla haters in my life.

So, the instant they begin a conversation about this or that, pros or cons, I just shut them up and get them behind the wheel. A quick trip around the block and they become fans backed by their own personal experience.

No more discussions about China, lithium mines, coal or other misinformation acquired from the web or a certain faux news channel. It's just a good car, period.

Back to the original point, I prefer a grill-attached plate mount, which can be lower than the factory and cleans up the look a bit even if not as smooth as no plate at all.

I honestly think he was interested in the vehicle on a personal level and how the door handle worked. He was a nice guy and I should probably just get a quick bandit. I just think the front end looks really cool and I wanted to see how long I could get away with not covering up the front but I think the jig is up.
If you do put up a front plate, perhaps look into one of the alternate plate designs such as the new black-out plates. MN finally offer sports team themed plates too if you're into any of that. I'm pretty tempted by the Vikings and Twins plates, but I currently have the Loon plate, which I think is one of the best looking license plate design I've seen anywhere, so I will probably hang onto it for a while longer.

(moderator note)

I am going to "advise" (and by that I actually mean "direct") that the discussion stay away from anything to do with police actions, inactions, etc. Those discussions never end well here, since they tend to bring out people very entrenched in a couple of different opposite viewpoints, and quickly turn into quasi flame wars.

Focus on discussion around what front plate to put on, or if you want to put one on, sure. Discussion about police, no.

I still have the OEM front license plate holder as well as a TesFram license plate holder that attaches to the front grill sitting in their wrappings unopened and my front plate in the rear cubby of my car. I’m afraid of putting on the OEM holder crooked and I’m afraid if someone bumps the holder attached to the grill (while parallel parking) that the grill will get broken. At this point, I’ll prob wait until I get a ticket to do something…

I really don't have time for Tesla haters in my life.

So, the instant they begin a conversation about this or that, pros or cons, I just shut them up and get them behind the wheel. A quick trip around the block and they become fans backed by their own personal experience.

No more discussions about China, lithium mines, coal or other misinformation acquired from the web or a certain faux news channel. It's just a good car, period.

Back to the original point, I prefer a grill-attached plate mount, which can be lower than the factory and cleans up the look a bit even if not as smooth as no plate at all.
No time for them...but you take them for a drive? :p

It sounds more like he used the lack of a front plate as a reason to pull you over and then also tried lying about the tint being illegal on the back to buy more time to keep you pulled over. Was probably looking for something bigger than just a missing front plate and tint. I hope you didn’t open your door and let him look in your car. The cop didn’t give a crap about the Tesla and he wasn’t all of a sudden “cool”. He was trying to get you to agree to a search of your car hoping he could find something else.
I agree with you. My alarm bells were going off with this stop. I am understand I am overly alarmed about these type of things. I work in the federal court system 25years+ (incl military time). I see these stops turn into arrest all the time. I agree with no opening my door for him.

We had a case where a cop pulled a guy over for an expired tag light. That turned into "he smelled pot in the car". There was no pot in the car but he had some other stuff. Guy got 8-10 years. For a "tag light" being out. I may have said you can set up a demo drive with Tesla. Thank you for the warning. Good day.

All that being said the last time I got stopped I rolled all my windows door. I like dark tint and I have nothing to hide. I don't need a cop scared of my car or me.

Status
Not open for further replies.