Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puncture precautions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always had one of these in my car - if you get a small puncture you can plug it using the rubber plugs. But honestly you will need to take the wheel off so that will require you to have a jack and compressor in the car.

IMG_2218.png

I was under the impression new Teslas come with roadside assistance for the duration of the 4 year warranty period. Why would RAC membership be required in addition to that?

Steve
Because the Tesla Roadside Assistance (Roadside Assistance) in the UK is more limited than the more complete options provided by the breakdown firms. For example, it says that it only provides 'warrantable assistance' (if the failure is not under the warranty then you get charged), and does not make any provision for your onward journey or taking your car any great distance (and only to a Service Centre). It also limits flat tyre services to 50 miles. Elsewhere I've seen wording to the effect that they try to have loaner wheels available, but don't promise to have them.

I'd read the above Tesla document carefully and decide if that meets your needs. It's not very comprehensive or clear as to what they commit do do.

I'd read the above Tesla document carefully and decide if that meets your needs. It's not very comprehensive or clear as to what they commit do do.
Yes, read it a few months ago. To be honest, 50 miles for tyre service is pretty decent for all but the most far-flung corners of this little septic isle so I'll take my chances. If it doesn't work out, I'll report back and eat humble pie!

Steve

Reactions: MovingSouth
What is the general view on what product/equipment should be carried in a M3 in the event of a puncture, in order to get you to a tyre repair centre?
Maybe I’ve been fortunate, but in the past 20 years I’ve only had slow punctures, screw nails etc. and leaks all of which have been able to be dealt with the a portable compressor whilst you get to the local tyre place. So I just pack one of these in the boot-well.

Anything more serious needs a recovery anyway as you’ve got no spare wheel in any event.

Attachments

• 05842021-DFE0-47C1-AB2E-782D3ABF1788.jpeg
    05842021-DFE0-47C1-AB2E-782D3ABF1788.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: cryo
Yes, read it a few months ago. To be honest, 50 miles for tyre service is pretty decent for all but the most far-flung corners of this little septic isle so I'll take my chances. If it doesn't work out, I'll report back and eat humble pie!

Steve
The service is also massively under resourced and for the cost of AA/Green Flag etc just not worth the saving. Sitting on the hardshoulder waiting for Tesla or spending £50 ish a year for a properly resourced breakdown service? A no brainer for me.

Last edited:
I was under the impression new Teslas come with roadside assistance for the duration of the 4 year warranty period. Why would RAC membership be required in addition to that?

Steve

There was an anecdote on this forum where someone broke down on a Sunday and Tesla roadside assistance asked if they can wait until Monday…..

Not sure how true it was but that was enough for me to get breakdown cover