Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PUP and HIFI Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only a few more days to decide on PUP and HiFi for my first Tesla! I am getting the S60, white, sunroof, with cloth seats.

I am not sold on any features of the PUP but was wondering about it for resale value (although my husband said I need to keep this for 10 years lol). I do not like that I am forced to do leather if I get the PUP as I prefer the cloth. Is it worth the $6000?

Also, the sound system sounded find standard but I do currently have XM that I use all the time. I have seen others talk about doing aftermarket is cheaper and better. Thoughts?

Didn't get either and doubt I'll regret it. Upgrade something else with $6K-especially if you're keeping for a long time. From what I hear you can get the "vegan" leather with PUP if you do decide to go that way. Probably even cloth. Overpriced showboat type options IMO. I'd LIKE the liftgate to be electric but not at that price, should be standard as should the lighting, and it's one more thing to break after warranty. Sound system was great as is in our test model and there are lots of aftermarket options if you feel you can't live with it. As we age all that hifi stuff is splitting hairs and worth even less. If and when the competition comes, many of this stuff WILL be standard.

I didn't order either one. The pup is really poor value especially if you don't want leather. You'll most likely notice the difference between the ultra hifi and normal but it probably isn't worth the premium. They both are nice things to have and I don't fault anyone who gets them, but if considered purely through value stand point they don't make sense. Then again, buying a 100k car never makes sense. :D

Are you getting dual motor?

I didn't order either one. The pup is really poor value especially if you don't want leather. You'll most likely notice the difference between the ultra hifi and normal but it probably isn't worth the premium. They both are nice things to have and I don't fault anyone who gets them, but if considered purely through value stand point they don't make sense. Then again, buying a 100k car never makes sense. :D

Are you getting dual motor?
I am not getting dual motor...should I consider it.

Hi @hmgiffor, I have both the upgraded sound and PUP. I'm indifferent about the sound package, it sounds great but not as great as other systems I've heard.

The PUP has definitely been worth it to me but for a surprising reason which is the super filter. There is some confusion with some people about the filter. The filter is always in use in the car, any air that enters the car goes through the filter. I've driven 19,000 miles in our car and have hardly ever smelled any crap from outside the cabin during standard use (only used bioweapon mode like 3 times). The bioweapon mode pressurizes the cabin, but it's hardly necessary. This is so useful, the air in the car is always so clean and fresh even in the city.

What I encounter is that whenever I roll down the window int he car, I'm greeted with terrible smells and I'm like "wow, I was able to live with this before?" I would highly recommend for this reason. Also, have you used a referral code to order?

Definitely a personal choice and whether or not it fits into your budget. I have both and have no regrets but at the same time I don't think they are worth the combined $5,000 price tag (PUP was $3,000 at the time when I ordered). If you're not an audiophile and looking to save a bit then I would drop the HIFI. Maybe stop by a Service Center and ask to hear both. Be sure to play around with the equalizer settings for a more meaningful comparison.

As for the PUP, this is my first car with a power liftgate and I will say I am finding lots of utility with it and glad I have it (though I think it really should have been a standard feature.

Just my two cents...

For Hifi, play your favorite music in both with and without Hifi and you will know. I and my wife did that and in 5s of listening, we knew we wanted the Hifi and would regret not getting it.

Didn't get the PUP - didn't seem like it provided enough value (and didn't want perforated seats because of kids).

I usually keep my cars 10-15 years and my regrets with my previous car were not spending a few grand extra to get the options I was on the fence on. So if you are on the fence regarding some options, just get it.

PUP: I definitely wouldn't get it again. I hardly notice most of the features except for the power lift-gate, and I can live without that. The slightly improved appointments are just not that much of an upgrade.

Hifi: I probably wouldn't get it again. To me, the improvement is probably worth at most, half the price at which they're offering it. Seeing as you can pick up a custom-fit subwoofer and amp for ~1k, I'd go that route.

Then again, you're spending anywhere from 60-150k on a car, so what's 5k more, in the grand scheme of things?