Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PUP decision. Need expert opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the non-pup come with fog lights at all? I ordered without pup. I didn't like the alcantara dash (sorry, no offense to others), I didn't care for biodefense either. I would of bought it for $2500 if it only gave me the directional lights and the cabin lights (but of course they don't offer that). Though, I thought that fog lights came with the non-pup.

Does fog lights come with non-pup? If not, has anyone missed it?

Visited the showroom last night and checked out the non-pup model x. Here were what I found:

1) Interior "build and feel" - I don't see any difference between PUP and non-PUP at all. the touch and feel seems to be the same. If you choose black or tan leather seats, the steering wheel and arm rests are leather. But when I compared them to non-leather, no major difference to me. if you choose ultra white, this upgrade does not even apply. You get the same material whether you have PUP or not

2) PUP comes with Alcantara upper dashboard accents. Some like it and some don't. I don't even like it myself

3) Ambient light - Nice to have, but it is very weak. Not sure you would even notice once you have it

4) Door - Self presenting door is a wow factor (with PUP). I like it a lot. Without PUP, you can still hit the "brake" to close the door automatically, triple click key fob to close all doors and have the doors locked when you walk away. However, without PUP, the door won't close by itself when you walk away

5) Bio filter, 3 position LED headnight, fog lights, Quick connection phone dock - All these come with PUP (obviously). It is up to an individual to see if they need them

At the end, I decided not to get PUP because I can't justify the cost. None of the options here make the car feel more "luxury" In fact, except "self presenting" door, you may not easily notice you have PUP installed

Just my 2 cents

IMG_3865.jpg
In this case you are 100% incorrect. My model x without PUP. Drivers door DOES close when brake pedal is pressed.

This control panel shows what non-PUP can do

At the end, I decided not to get PUP because I can't justify the cost. None of the options here make the car feel more "luxury" In fact, except "self presenting" door, you may not easily notice you have PUP installed

I did the same myself and went with a non-PUP. I don't think you will regret it.

Keep in mind that many end up disabling the self presenting doors. Some find it annoying when entering the garage, it pops open. Or walking around the car, the door open and closes. Some have had issues with door dings. Your usage case will dictate this.

On a non-PUP car, while it does not self present upon approach; it does self open. From inside the car, if you pull the handle the door pops open on it's own to a set distance. I have found this to be an issue in 2 occasions even on a non-PUP. First, the motor adds resistance, so if you're used to manual doors you end up fighting it a little as it tries to prevent itself from opening too far. Second, if it's windy out, I have had the door open slowly at first and upon stopping it just flings out. A number of occasions almost denting the car next to mine. While I love the self-close, if I could I'd probably disable the assisted open. For now, I just make sure I'm always holding the door when I open it, but I could see this being an issue on self presenting doors.

I tested it and the door does automatically close when you hit the "bake" (without PUP)

When you are inside, you can just "pull" the door lever and the door will either automatically open or close

Correct. When inside you can press brake to close drivers door. You can pull indoor handle to close drivers or passengers door. A quick pull and let go. The motor closes the door. You can also do this when OUTSIDE the car when the door is open. Instead of pushing the door closed you just quickly pull the INSIDE door handle and remove your arm and door automatically closes. Very nice feature and how I close the door when I leave the car most of the time.

You can also do this when OUTSIDE the car when the door is open. Instead of pushing the door closed you just quickly pull the INSIDE door handle and remove your arm and door automatically closes. Very nice feature and how I close the door when I leave the car most of the time.

My DS also showed me a method that I love: with the door open, "pinch" the inside of the door with one finger and another finger on the outside chrome door actuator. I usually use my thumb and index. It works brilliantly! Cheers.

Reactions: Saghost