Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PUP tires and rims on a rear wheel drive model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 20" rims that are included with PUP are milled to fit on the the P3D wheel hub, so they're a little different than the normal 20" rims offered by tesla. So, I was wondering if there are anything preventing a real wheel drive model from accepting and using said rims.

I started a thread on this and didn't get an answer. My semi educated guess is that the P3D+ wheels will fit any M3 with a caveat. The they-will-fit argument goes like this: conventional wisdom is that the P3D+ wheels are different because they have a "step" machined into the inner end of the hub barrel to accommodate a lip at the base of the disc rotor. This step is only a few millimeters deep, and leaves the rest of the hub barrel unaltered which allows adequate length for the hub to center the wheel on the hub, its primary function. The other difference of the P3D+ wheel, of course, is the larger back side to clear those red larger rear calipers, which isn't germane to this question.

The caveat is that the package that Tesla sells to fit the 20" wheels to M3s not equipped from the factory includes a set of rear upper fore links, and they specify the wheels be installed by a Service Center. Due diligence suggests additional research.

I started a thread on this and didn't get an answer. My semi educated guess is that the P3D+ wheels will fit any M3 with a caveat. The they-will-fit argument goes like this: conventional wisdom is that the P3D+ wheels are different because they have a "step" machined into the inner end of the hub barrel to accommodate a lip at the base of the disc rotor. This step is only a few millimeters deep, and leaves the rest of the hub barrel unaltered which allows adequate length for the hub to center the wheel on the hub, its primary function. The other difference of the P3D+ wheel, of course, is the larger back side to clear those red larger rear calipers, which isn't germane to this question.

The caveat is that the package that Tesla sells to fit the 20" wheels to M3s not equipped from the factory includes a set of rear upper fore links, and they specify the wheels be installed by a Service Center. Due diligence suggests additional research.

Agreed, I'm actually on the phone to the service center to find out what they know. Which may or may not give me an accurate answer.

The Premium Upgrade Package, or PUP, which appears to be automatically included with all Long Range Model 3s,
Includes:

• Premium heated seating with 12-way, power adjustable front seats
  • Center console with covered storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
  • Premium audio system
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • Custom driver profiles
  • LED fog lamps
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
    • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
    • In-car streaming media
    • Over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular

The Performance option:
Model 3 Performance includes:

• Quicker acceleration: 0-60 mph in 3.5s
  • Top speed: up to 155 mph
  • Premium Black Interior
  • Additional upgrades, exclusive to Performance
Tesla All-Wheel Drive has two independent motors. Unlike traditional all-wheel drive systems, these two motors digitally control torque to the front and rear wheels—for far better handling and traction control. Your car can drive on either motor, so you never need to worry about getting stuck on the road. If one motor stops working, you can safely continue to your destination with the second.

The Performance Upgrade Option, or PUO, is the package that adds the 20" wheels, larger brakes, red calipers, suspension tweaks, possibly other things.