Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Model 3 in March with EAP, free HW3 upgrade or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to clarify:

The current EAP costs $5k. The FSD costs $3k on top of that? (And will have a free upgrade to HW3 when it is available?)

Vs.

When HW3 is standard on all cars, it'll only be $5k for EAP and no need to pay for FSD since we have the HW3 on our car already. And God knows how long before you can actually get FSD?

So the decision is $8k or $5k and wait a few months. Let me tell u, for someone that could buy any time from now to whenever. I'm incentivized to wait until HW3 is standard.

Just to clarify:

The current EAP costs $5k. The FSD costs $3k on top of that? (And will have a free upgrade to HW3 when it is available?)

Vs.

When HW3 is standard on all cars, it'll only be $5k for EAP and no need to pay for FSD since we have the HW3 on our car already. And God knows how long before you can actually get FSD?

So the decision is $8k or $5k and wait a few months. Let me tell u, for someone that could buy any time from now to whenever. I'm incentivized to wait until HW3 is standard.

The FSD is actually $5k as a post delivery software option if not purchased upfront.

While FSD may need HW3 to be fully functional the cost of FSD may be the same ($3k/$5k)in the new cars if the pricing structure is tied to the enhanced functionality and the software upgrade... not the change in hardware. Who knows?

Just to clarify:

All correct so far...

Vs.

Nope.

The first FSD features will be released same time HW3 is, according to multiple statements from Tesla/Elon. (otherwise there's literally no reason for them to have bothered with HW3, since it's explicitly not needed for EAP)

You only get them if you paid for FSD. If you don't the HW3 is of no benefit to you anyway.

See above- that's not correct.... (not to mention waiting past June 30 to take delivery costs you another $1875 in tax credit beyond the $3750 you lost not taking delivery before Dec 31)

Nope.

(not to mention waiting past June 30 to take delivery costs you another $1875 in tax credit beyond the $3750 you lost not taking delivery before Dec 31)

What is the cost for taking delivery now for a FSD (assuming I pay for FSD up front).

Also I assumed the HW3 is projected to be before the June 31?

I really appreciate your analysis. Go a step further for me: I have a car that drives just fine now. My next car will be a Tesla (most likely model 3 LR AWD with aero wheels). I could afford to buy at any moment but obv the HW3 is the elephant in the room.

What is the cost of buying now vs cost of buying after HW3 is installed?

• Informative
Reactions: sammyfan711
I’m speculating that at some point they will not be shipping the same hardware on all cars.
If they can save $1k on cheaper equipment and cover EAP or safety features,
it seems to me like they have to do it. They can still design for an easy swap.
Everything can be made modular in a way that EAP can be designed as a subset of FSD.
So, it's possible that there might be a need for some additional components, like radars...
Otherwise, the difference would be mosttly to use a more performant or an additional CPU and more memory.
Also some markets might not authorise or certify FSD yet. See for example 'sumon' which is available in Canada.

I'm looking at purchasing a Model 3 with EAP for delivery mid-March.
Does it get automatically upgraded to HW3 at some point in 2019?
Or does than only happen to buyers who paid for FSD?
I don't see the option to purchase FSD on the car configuration on Tesla's website.

If it doesn't get upgraded to HW3 for free, I'll just wait until mid-summer to purchase with HW3 included.
How likely is HW3 to be available mid summer this year?

Sorry for all the questions, very new to Teslas....
Wait at list until the presentation of the Model Y and know its availability time frame.
This is what make me postpone any buying decision at this point.
The Model 3 is a very nice car, I just wish it was a hatch back like the Model S.
HW3 will be then included with the model Y.

Last edited:
I’m speculating that at some point they will not be shipping the same hardware on all cars. If they can save $1k on cheaper equipment and cover EAP or safety features, it seems to me like they have to do it. They can still design for an easy swap.

the HW2.5 computer and HW3 computer cost the same to Tesla, so no reason to use 2.5 at all once 3 is production ready- it costs more to have 2 different parts in the MFG and supply chain anyway.

What is the cost for taking delivery now for a FSD (assuming I pay for FSD up front).

FSD is 3k if you pay before you take delivery (you have to ask for it since it's no longer sold "on menu" and 5k if you pay for it after delivery.

It's possible this price will be higher once they start delivering HW3 cars and enabling FSD-exclusive features, but that's just speculation right now.

It certainly won't be cheaper though- which is why waiting makes no financial sense, especially with the declining tax credit.

Sure. Just like advanced summon was projected before Dec 31, but only JUST got approved by regulators. Tesla isn't awesome on hitting dates that precisely for things like this.

I certainly expect it "around" mid-year, but that could very easily be July 15 as it could be May 15th

I really appreciate your analysis. Go a step further for me: I have a car that drives just fine now. My next car will be a Tesla (most likely model 3 LR AWD with aero wheels). I could afford to buy at any moment but obv the HW3 is the elephant in the room.

It's $1875 cheaper (tax credit) buying today versus on July 1 or later (these are take-delivery dates, not place your order dates).

It was $1750 cheaper than THAT if you'd done is before Dec 31 so you already missed the lowest price on any current model.

In all cases if you pay for FSD you get HW3 no matter when you buy the 3 (though may have to have a 30 minute swap done for free to get it)....and if you don't get FSD then HW3 isn't needed for anything else.

Reactions: jjrandorin

You have confused your question, I don't know what you are asking... For my analysis I will assume that waiting will make you only get the $1875 credit...

If you only care about getting HW3 then it is $8k now(EAP + FSD to get the free hardware upgrade later, and you get the $3750 credit), OR $0k later when HW3 is standard on all cars with or without EAP/FSD and you get the $1875 tax credit. You effectively spend $8k - $3750 = $4250 now or you GAIN $1875 later.

If you are planning on getting EAP no matter what but don't care about FSD, then it is $8k - $3750 = $4250 now, or $5k - $1875 = $3125 later.

Yeah, but just because it isn't needed for AP doesn't exclude it from being used for AP.

Well, it kind of does....unless they're going to run 2 entirely different EAP code bases, which given Tesla has a LOT of trouble coming remotely close to hitting any software deadlines with ONE codebase seems unlikely and insane....not to mention the outcry from EAP users who would then ask for free upgrades like the FSD folks are getting. Especially when Elon specifically said EAP doesn't need HW3 and that there's literally no reason to wait for HW3 since it comes free with FSD and thus only FSD people would care about it and get it free either way.

It'd make tremendously more sense for Tesla to avoid all those issues and simply label anything HW3 adds as FSD-specific features and only make them available to FSD buyers (like say, an L3 or L4 version of EAP that is FSD-only- which is kind of my dream feature right now but still a lot easier than the L5 we know isn't coming anytime soon)

Elon Musk said:
Those who order full self-driving get the upgrade at no cost. It isn’t needed just for enhanced Autopilot

Also-

Elon Musk said:
“[It’s] very important to emphasize that the only thing that needs to change between a car that’s produced today and a car that’s going to be produced in the second quarter of next year is probably the autopilot computer. This is a simply change that takes about half an hour to upgrade the computer. Anyone will be able to upgrade their car to Full Self-Driving capability with a simple service visit. Basically anything made in the last two years will be upgradable to Full Self-Driving. So its better important to emphasize that there’s no need to wait until that comes out because its just a very simple plug and play change to get to Full Self-Driving. Anyone who has made for Full Self-Driving option will get it done for free. It really ends up being a discount on future capability.”

Yep. Y'all are right. I was off on my reasoning.

Most likely not I'll get the FSD + EAP now and will take delivery before July 1st. To maximize the tax credit.
Just stopping by to add some clarity to current changes. EAP is no longer an option. To can get AP or FSD now if you haven't ordered your car yet.

This is all very confusing for new buyers. My suggestion is scrap everything you know about EAP and AP and FSD and go start from square one to see what has changed Before you go to order

I bought EAP that I paid $5000 in Jul 2018 and so as others since the model 3 went into market. However people buying today pays the same $5000 gets FSD. IMHO, Tesla should provide FSD to owners who paid $5k for EAP and get the computer swap from HW2.5 to HW3 for free.

I bought EAP that I paid $5000 in Jul 2018 and so as others since the model 3 went into market. However people buying today pays the same $5000 gets FSD. IMHO, Tesla should provide FSD to owners who paid $5k for EAP and get the computer swap from HW2.5 to HW3 for free.
You mean 6000, and only until they decide to raise the price again...
Not to mention that they only ever said FSD folks get the upgrade as a part of FSD, not sure why you would think they should give it to EAP people for free.

Reactions: hcdavis3