Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purple Hov Sticker

Have you applied your HOV sticker

• Yes

Votes: 36 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • On the fence

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I'm on the fence about applying the HOV sticker here in Los Angeles.

It's purple and I have a blue model 3

As others would say in LA it would be great to carpool alone.
However, there are so many teslas no it's not like the carpool is that empty anymore.

I have picked up some clear protector cut out for HOV stickers. So I will use these.

I'm just so on the fence because of the clash of colors bla.

Lavender on blue is pretty bad looking. However, the pain of seeing this color combination is significantly less than the pain of sitting in traffic, watching other cars blow by me in the HOV lane, especially if I have stickers in hand. I've seen Tesla Roadsters that still have their old HOV stickers on, and I've seen several other blue 3's with the purple stickers, so I don't feel like I'm some sort of outlier in my decision.

I went the sticker-on-PPF route, as there's no way those things are staying on my car once they are expired. I haven't heard of any LA-area accounts of people peeling stickers off other cars, but that would be the only downside I considered.

Reactions: tfraley and jbadger
There is another thread here where the guy got a ticket for driving with no stickers. He was asked to show proof that he was eligible. In his case he had not applied, had no stickers, and received a ticket. I suppose you could keep your stickers in your glove box and if stopped, show them to the officer with a "haven't had to time stick them on yet" and you would probably be free and clear. The downside is the inconvenience of getting pulled over but it might be worth it. I am considering this option when I receive my stickers.

Reactions: blueskies
There is another thread here where the guy got a ticket for driving with no stickers. He was asked to show proof that he was eligible. In his case he had not applied, had no stickers, and received a ticket. I suppose you could keep your stickers in your glove box and if stopped, show them to the officer with a "haven't had to time stick them on yet" and you would probably be free and clear. The downside is the inconvenience of getting pulled over but it might be worth it. I am considering this option when I receive my stickers.

Nope. I saw a Model 3 pulled over in the Bay Area because his stickers were placed in the window and not on the car. KRON's "People Behaving Badly" has done several stories on this including a Model S being pulled over who tried to pull the 'stickers are in my glovebox!' card....
San Francisco Carpool Lane Crackdown (w/video)

• Love
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Hey guys,

I'm on the fence about applying the HOV sticker here in Los Angeles.

It's purple and I have a blue model 3

As others would say in LA it would be great to carpool alone.
However, there are so many teslas no it's not like the carpool is that empty anymore.

I have picked up some clear protector cut out for HOV stickers. So I will use these.

I'm just so on the fence because of the clash of colors bla.

Here is a pic of my Blue PM3 with the front purple sticker. I personally don't mind the combination. I don't have a pic of the back, but what I did was, I placed the stickers really, really low. They are technically on the correct locations. The DMV instructs you to place them on the back quarter panels behind the back wheels. This is where they are, but just super low. Because of the angle of the sheet metal there, you really do not notice them as much.
TeslaPic-6-19-19.jpg

I thought I cared at first too and said I wouldn't put the stickers. "I'll just keep them in the glove box in case I got pulled over," I thought. Then I realized that CHP is constantly pulling people over in the carpool lanes for something, so it got too nerve-wracking and I just put them on. For the first few days, it ate at me every time I walked up to my car to see those hideous stickers. Then after about a week, I stopped caring. A few weeks later, I realized I didn't even look at them anymore. Now, a year later, I've just kind of forgotten that they are there except when washing the car.

No one cares that your car has HOV stickers on them--only you. Just remember that the time saved by being able to use the carpool lanes is priceless.

Here is a pic of my Blue PM3 with the front purple sticker. I personally don't mind the combination. I don't have a pic of the back, but what I did was, I placed the stickers really, really low. They are technically on the correct locations. The DMV instructs you to place them on the back quarter panels behind the back wheels. This is where they are, but just super low. Because of the angle of the sheet metal there, you really do not notice them as much.View attachment 421013

Thanks for the pick.. It totally helps to get a sense of the color clash and location. Honestly doesn't look horrible.
Any chance you can grab an image of the back..
Thanks.

Somehow I can't imagine an officer feeling too kindly to drivers who have stickers but keep them in their glove box. Apart from the fact the display of stickers if what allows you to travel single in the HOV lanes, he had to take time out to stop you when he shouldn't have had to just because you don't want to put them on your car. He might have been needed elsewhere but instead was forced to stop you for lack of displaying stickers, write you a ticket and I assume now having to show up in traffic court. I would think having to deal with court would be an undesirable use of their time.

With over half the year in, I’d wait to see what the new tag is.

Bet it is something cool like carbon fiber and 25% of the current size and only you need 2 of them.

:D
more likely it will be bright pink and require 8 of them. Someone at work trimmed the white off their purple stickers on their blue car. It does not look too bad, I mean compared to any other color sticker anyways.

If you don’t frequently travel on the freeway by yourself there is no need to permanently attach the HOV stickers to your car. I just bought some magnetic sheets from Amazon and applied the stickers directly to the magnets. I attach them to the trunk and side panel when I’m planning on driving on the freeway, and otherwise they stay in my glove compartment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYGOXU2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: elf9
@OCR1 I thought of that at one point as well. However, the more I thought about how it could scratch my paint the more I disliked it.
So long as the car surface and magnetic surface is clean and clear of dirt/dust, it'll be fine. I use magnetic numbers on track days with no scratch/paint damage (on a RX-8) whatsoever; the magnet sheets don't shift at all.