Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purple Hov Sticker

Have you applied your HOV sticker

• Yes

Votes: 36 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • On the fence

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somehow I can't imagine an officer feeling too kindly to drivers who have stickers but keep them in their glove box. Apart from the fact the display of stickers if what allows you to travel single in the HOV lanes, he had to take time out to stop you when he shouldn't have had to just because you don't want to put them on your car. He might have been needed elsewhere but instead was forced to stop you for lack of displaying stickers, write you a ticket and I assume now having to show up in traffic court. I would think having to deal with court would be an undesirable use of their time.

Good points. But I hope officers are seeking out speeders, reckless drivers, and inattentive drivers (cell phones) before determining that the best course of action is to stop potential HOV lane violators.

I bought some paint protection film stuck the sticker to that, then used an exacto knife to cut around the sticker. If you've seen what happens when you try to remove one that was directly stuck on, you would do the same.

Also I only put the right-quarter-panel one on down low like @joebruin77 ... it's still visible from behind. I hope that covers me.

I cut the white part off of mine:

Attachments

• 20190219_111109.jpg
    20190219_111109.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: kellymc
Nope, the law is very clear that they must be on the car. Not having them on is the same as not having them and you will get a ticket for it. And it is an expensive ticket. First hand experience here! :)

I suppose you could keep your stickers in your glove box and if stopped, show them to the officer with a "haven't had to time stick them on yet" and you would probably be free and clear.

I’d like to know this too. Purchased mid 2019 but want to wait for the new set of stickers
Sure. There's no rule that states HAVE to apply when you buy the car. You can apply anytime. Lots of people who purchased in the second half of 2018, mailed theirs in on Jan 1, 2019 for that reason. In fact if you had a 2012 model S that had never been issued a sticker before, you could apply today.

I’d like to know this too. Purchased mid 2019 but want to wait for the new set of stickers
Yes, you can wait according to the current regulations. But given the large numbers of EVs (particularly Model 3s) being sold in CA, there is a possibility that they will eventually shut down the CAV decal program (probably not this year though). Also, the benefits for existing sticker-holders are gradually being devalued over time (e.g. instead of getting free access, in some cases you now only get a small discount for express lanes).

Reactions: mblakele
If you don’t frequently travel on the freeway by yourself there is no need to permanently attach the HOV stickers to your car. I just bought some magnetic sheets from Amazon and applied the stickers directly to the magnets. I attach them to the trunk and side panel when I’m planning on driving on the freeway, and otherwise they stay in my glove compartment.

This is a great idea. How strong are the magnets? Haven’t flown off at speed?

Say I request purple stickers, and then slap them on a 2012 prius... thoughts?
Tesla is being sold, but would love to keep the HOV benefit ;)
You also get an updated vehicle registration that states the vehicle has been assigned CAV stickers. I believe the registration is the final word on what belongs on the car, so I would imagine a LEO would treat this akin to having different license plates on your vehicle than the ones stated on the registration, although perhaps to a lesser degree.