TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Purple Hov Sticker

Discussion in 'California' started by tfraley, Jun 19, 2019.

Tags:
?

Have you applied your HOV sticker

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. On the fence

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. rickdogg82

rickdogg82 Member

Good points. But I hope officers are seeking out speeders, reckless drivers, and inattentive drivers (cell phones) before determining that the best course of action is to stop potential HOV lane violators.

2. bryan995

bryan995 Member

I have yet to apply. Purchased sept 2018.
    Don’t need a sticker until 2020.

Can I keep waiting and get the 2020 sticker come Jan 1 2020? Good until 2024? :)

3. ibGeek

ibGeek Member

Got my stickers last week. It was a little painful putting stickers on my car, but I'll get over it for the convenience.

4. Tuazon81

Tuazon81 Member

I think I’m going to go with this route. The protection film should be visible enough even if I’m rushing to put them on.

5. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

I bought some paint protection film stuck the sticker to that, then used an exacto knife to cut around the sticker. If you've seen what happens when you try to remove one that was directly stuck on, you would do the same.

Also I only put the right-quarter-panel one on down low like @joebruin77 ... it's still visible from behind. I hope that covers me.

6. shimmelr

shimmelr New Member

As someone who has had stickers for more than ten years on various cars in Los Angeles, I will never go back! It's worth it just for a few commutes a year to Duarte from Santa Monica.

7. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

I cut the white part off of mine:

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  8. TomT

TomT Technical Maven

Nope, the law is very clear that they must be on the car. Not having them on is the same as not having them and you will get a ticket for it. And it is an expensive ticket. First hand experience here! :)

9. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

How LOW can you GO

4D23CC68-4EA4-4AE9-8159-13E8CD7BC3BC.jpeg

• Like x 1
  10. Electra3

Electra3 Member

Agree with going low and using PPF. Looks quite subtle and unobtrusive on a white M3--maybe because the white borders blend in better.

11. Tmoh3

Tmoh3 Member

I’d like to know this too. Purchased mid 2019 but want to wait for the new set of stickers

12. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

Sure. There's no rule that states HAVE to apply when you buy the car. You can apply anytime. Lots of people who purchased in the second half of 2018, mailed theirs in on Jan 1, 2019 for that reason. In fact if you had a 2012 model S that had never been issued a sticker before, you could apply today.

13. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Yes, you can wait according to the current regulations. But given the large numbers of EVs (particularly Model 3s) being sold in CA, there is a possibility that they will eventually shut down the CAV decal program (probably not this year though). Also, the benefits for existing sticker-holders are gradually being devalued over time (e.g. instead of getting free access, in some cases you now only get a small discount for express lanes).

• Like x 1
  14. MD JD

MD JD Member

Did you get a point or just fine?

15. RoBoRaT

RoBoRaT Zero Farts Given!

16. phaheem

phaheem Member

This is a great idea. How strong are the magnets? Haven’t flown off at speed?

17. RoBoRaT

RoBoRaT Zero Farts Given!

People have good feedback for this solution, cling-film:

California Clean Air Vehicle Clean-Cling

I personally used magnetic film which stays well - rain or shine up to 80 mph speed. I probably consider the Cling film for my next CAV HOV decal application.

18. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Very strong. So far so good.

19. bryan995

bryan995 Member

Say I request purple stickers, and then slap them on a 2012 prius... thoughts?
    Tesla is being sold, but would love to keep the HOV benefit ;)

20. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Member

You also get an updated vehicle registration that states the vehicle has been assigned CAV stickers. I believe the registration is the final word on what belongs on the car, so I would imagine a LEO would treat this akin to having different license plates on your vehicle than the ones stated on the registration, although perhaps to a lesser degree.