TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Putting plastic/vinyl UNDER your HOV stickers.....?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by FlyErik, Jan 15, 2019.

1. FlyErik

FlyErik Member

I was trying to figure out a way NOT to destroy or damage the beautiful paint on my M3 and wondered what would happen if I took a thick ziploc baggie, cut the plastic SLIGHTLY smaller than each HOV sticker, and then applied it.... This might only leave an outline if I decide to remove the stickers at some later date.
    Thoughts?
    Tried searching this forum and didn't see anything like this posted yet, though it could also be that the search feature isn't finding it.
    Anyone else put anything under their HOV stickers? I definitely don't want to make it easier for them to be stolen, but I also want to minimize future damage.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

I would not bother with the state's archaic rules there for HOV usage. Not worth the hassle to ruin a paint job for a few minutes savings.
    In Canada, each province has a green coloured plate for EV cars. Don't know why California can't do that. They will some day though!
    BC I just remembered doesn't yet but they will.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. RayK

RayK Active Member

I went with the paint protection film (PPF) route. Apply the HOV sticker to the film, use X-Acto knife to cut the PPF, peel off the backing material and put on the car. PPF is not supposed to damage the paint but what may happen is that when the sticker expires and you pull it off the car, the surrounding paint would have faded.

4. smjbh5

smjbh5 Member

Why not just buy some clear vinyl, put the stickers on that, cut to size, stick that onto the car? Thats my plan. Bought some 3m clear paint protector vinyl from amazon

5. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Active Member

It depends on where you live and how many minutes you save. I see it as hassle saved from not having to deal with that one police offer who wants to give you a hard time (since commutes in my area can be very beneficial from HOV benefits). But I do agree with you on the EV Plates, the stickers is pretty silly.

6. Dbregmam

Dbregmam Member

RPM Tesla sells a HOV paint protection kit. The pieces are cut to fit the suckers I bought a set, now just need my registration so I can apply for the stickers.

• Informative x 1
  7. SoCalMom

SoCalMom Member

8. djb2942

djb2942 Member

Can you not apply to glass?

9. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

For some of that would mean spending up to hundreds of extra hours stuck in traffic....

10. strider

strider Active Member

Get scraps of PPF from a tint shop. Like @RayK said, stick the HOV stickers to the PPF, trim the PPF (I used scissors) then apply the PPF. Tons of videos on youtube about applying (and removing) paint protection film.

11. TW14 9LF

TW14 9LF 2nd EV

California DMV is very specific about where the stickers have to be applied, and they are supposed to be applied permanently. I had them on my previous EV, and I could tell they weren't coming off easily. If you can believe it, there are four stickers, one each for the front and rear bumper, and one each on the side of the car in front of the front wheel and behind the rear wheel.

12. Need

Need Active Member

Get a roll of 3M film (6" x 25") is enough for 2 cars at amazon for $12. I had the white stickers on the 3M film on our MX. Last month I had to take them off to put the red stickers on. Peeled them off easily and paint looks great under after a year. Put the red stickers on the leftover 3M film, trim to size, stick, and now they will be there for another 3 years.

13. ninpb

ninpb Member

Got my 3m sheet ready for when the purple ones come.

Any issues with flexibility and ability to mold to different contours of the body with the 2 layers?

14. Need

Need Active Member

Nope. I cleaned the surface of the car really well before putting on the stickers.

15. LoveMX

LoveMX Member

Do these HOV under stickers really protect the paint? Don’t they peel off in heavy rain?

What has been the experience of those of you who have been using these?

16. ent3ndu

ent3ndu Member

I put the stickers on 3m film on my other phev. 2 of the stickers were stolen in less than 6 months, once at a car wash and once in a restaurant parking lot.

17. LoveMX

LoveMX Member

Sorry to hear that, heard these stories from other people too.

Alas, DMV is still in the 20th century, so nothing we can do about that!

18. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

I’ve had mine on for a year and a half. No issues.

• Informative x 1
  19. MacGreiner

I put mine on a piece of magnetic sheeting. The section around where the rear plate is located is ferromagnetic and so it sticks super well. I then just pull it off and store in the glove box when I am not using transit lanes.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. SJC3

SJC3 Member

H
    Are you only using one of the 4 stickers? I had a friend ticketed for only having one on the rear. Read of another pulled over for having it taped to the inside rear quarter glass. Sometimes it’s better just following the rules vs wasting time getting pulled over.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1