Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting skis in the back of a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Brand new member, long time lurker. I'm 4-5 weeks away from placing an order on a model S, but wanted to confirm with you guys that my ski bag, which is around 200cm (6' 6") long, would fit in the back of the car.

Sincerely appreciate any input!

Thanks.

I have this same issue with my Subaru WRX hatchback. Skis are slightly longer than the length (when measured in a straight line from the back of the cargo zone to the front seats), but if you go slightly diagonal, ie insert them from the left rear corner toward the front right seat it's no problem. I suspect you can make up the 4" "deficit" in length by going slightly diagonal.

I measured it when we bought our S. It was critical to fit a 200cm long painting, as my wife is an artist. It fits that length fine, and that is without needing to transport diagonal, but you will have to fold down the back seats.

Best, Mick

BTW, when you wait 4-5 weeks you will likely be unable to benefit the $7500 tax credit, per the new tax plans, as you would get it in 2018. Keep that in mind. If your order now, you may still get your new S this year.

2E2C0604-6D22-460D-9B2B-C1D31C972543.jpeg

My skies are 200s

Attachments

• 78CAE287-FA5D-43B6-9079-21A194986ACC.jpeg
    78CAE287-FA5D-43B6-9079-21A194986ACC.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 2,014
You should demo some new skis...technology has changed the game and there is no need to ski 200+ anymore.

I know it! Plus, at my current fitness level I couldn't drive a 200 ski :rolleyes:

Going to hit the slopes this January - first time since kids 11 years ago. And snow boarded for 2 years prior to that. I'll definitely shop around. Not going to bring the old clunkers.

But, as it turns out, 200cm is what the OP was looking for, so good thing I have them :)

My kid races, and when we can get a good chunk of time off in the winter we often try to sneak in a combination of backcountry days for us and frontside days for her, so not infrequently it's 2 pair of skis for all 3 of us; plus boots, clothes, avy gear, armor if she's actually got a race or gate training...etc.

Thank goodness skis are shorter than they used to be. My longest pair of skis are 188s. They fit on a slight diagonal so it's not strictly necessary to put the wide side of the back seat down -- though if we're on a long drive sometimes we do since it makes packing easier. We have a giant racer's bootbag that fits in the frunk, and occasionally we use the "3rd seat" space under the false trunk floor. The car just eats luggage -- I think we can get more stuff in it than the old Outback even counting the topbox we used to use.

I think unless you have SG/DH skis or jumping skis, it'll work fine. At worst you may lose 2 seats from the back instead of 1, or end up with the nose of the ski bag sitting on the front armrest.

It would have been a very different story back in the days when my bump skis were turquoise Rossi 4Ses in 207...