Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 2017 Earnings Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i should have been more clear. i meant tesla energy margins excluding solarcity (mostly the battery storage etc.)

Energy generation&storage revenue was $286,780,000. This included :

2017Q2 10-Q said:
These increases were primarily due to the inclusion of revenue from SolarCity, which we acquired on November 21, 2016, of $271.1 million and $479.7 million for the three and six months ended June 30, 2017, respectively.

So Tesla energy storage revenue was $15,680,000. On the cost side, generation&storage carried costs of $203,762,000. This included :

2017Q2 10-Q said:
These increases were primarily due to the inclusion of energy generation and storage costs from SolarCity of $174.0 million and $319.4 million in the three and six months ended June 30, 2017, respectively

So Tesla energy storage cost was $29,762,000. Gross margin on Tesla Energy storage product : -$14,082,000. Or -90%.

Interestingly, Elon told potential bond investors on a conference call that they don't expect Gigafactory battery production costs to drop below generic Panasonic import before the last quarter of this year. I must assume the same holds (or maybe even worse given the lower volumes) for energy storage cells which explains the extreme negative margin on their powerpacks so far. Up untill today it seems Tesla is buying energy storage market share on their shareholders dime. Fortunately, the market is rather small.

I didn't see this... can you provide a source?

Tesla Gigafactory is already producing more batteries than any other factory in the world, says Elon Musk

Electrek reporting said:
Furthermore, Musk again refuses to disclose the battery costs of Model S, Model X and Model 3, but he insisted that they are significantly ahead of the competition. He did disclose though that he expects the cost of Model 3 battery packs produced at Gigafactory 1 to drop below the cost of Model S and Model X packs starting in Q4 2017, when the volumes are expected to increase.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

Ah... ok.

Furthermore, Musk again refuses to disclose the battery costs of Model S, Model X and Model 3, but he insisted that they are significantly ahead of the competition. He did disclose though that he expects the cost of Model 3 battery packs produced at Gigafactory 1 to drop below the cost of Model S and Model X packs starting in Q4 2017, when the volumes are expected to increase.

Yeah, ok. Model 3 battery packs have been hand made thus far. This doesn't say anything about cell pricing.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden