Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folowing the Q2-2023 results I've updated my longer term model to include a rosier picture for energy margins, and a continued restraint on overheads. Thus - in this scenario - it now has truly outstanding volume performance, and truly outstanding margin performance through to 2030.

It is hard to justify those margins unless one assumes they are software-enabled, i.e. continually improved FSD/ADAS in the vehicles and an equivalent in the storage. By the way this also is such a stunning performance scenario that it assumes Tesla solves solar, which takes a very active imagination indeed.

What is excluded from this is any revenues from RoboTaxi or Optimus. It was 2014 that Tesla first offered pre-purchase of Autopilot and I feel Musk wishes to claim mission-accomplished by the 10-year milestone. Whilst it may by then be a very good ADAS system of some level I think that it will be at least another 10-years before a full-on Robotaxi of any commercial importance might be viable. Similarly so for Optimus. I'd love to be wrong. In any case this is already such a high-end scenario it does not seem necessary to gild the lily any further.

View attachment 958313
View attachment 958314

If one then takes the above and runs it through a variety of ways of calculating fair value for share prices this is the result:

View attachment 958315

Which in graphical terms is this:

View attachment 958316

It almost seems to me that in the short term the real issue in the share price is what is the correct discount rate to apply. It is hard to justify 2023 shareprices nearing $300 unless one is contemplating superlative business growth and continued improving profitability, and in a near-risk-free manner (i.e. current discount rate of say 5% rather than a risked discount rate of say 10%).

At the moment the EPS-driven valuations tend to underwhelm as 2023 EPS is likely to be below 2022 EPS. Looking forwards the 2025 year is when a real tension will exist between those who value using EPS will be motivated to buy - especially if by then the Cybertruck and Highland are pushing prifitability back towards GM of 30% - versus those who would be somewhat more restrained if using NPV-driven valuations.

Personally I'm not brave enough to trade or use leverage in any way, as the irrationalities in this share price; combined with the outright manipulations and gaming of the market place; plus the information asymmetry that exists all make me very cautious.

Fair value at the moment looks awfully like $210-$220 when one looks at the quarterly data and applies a 10% discount rate made up roughly of a approx 6% equity risk premium, and 4% 10-year bond rate.

It may well be that many other companies are irrationally overvalued in the market by such an approach, but that is a different matter.

Nevertheless am I missing anything ?

This may be the last 5+ year estimate anyone has posted here. It's, unfortunately, going to need a lot of revision.

Simple first run at earnings:

(Have not broken out leasing revenue)

IMG_1042.jpeg

You have Energy & Storage losing ~$200m. I think those days are over.

I am in that range for GAAP EPS, but most of the media runs with non-GAAP, which backs out stock based comp.
Thanks for that - had reduced my revenue for energy after the P&D report, but forgot to adjust the COGS for energy.

Updated as follows:

IMG_1043.jpeg

Thanks for that - had reduced my revenue for energy after the P&D report, but forgot to adjust the COGS for energy.

Updated as follows:

View attachment 1035668

Some very minor notes:
-Without looking at the leasing breakout, you have ASPs going up ~$1k/vehicle delivered vs 4Q23. I don't think that occurred because a) the number of CTs delivered was small (I've read anywhere from 1k to 4k) and b) continued inventory discounting.
-You have Energy & Storage revenue increasing 4.3% QoQ but COGS up 1.4% QoQ. I know many have touted the future margins of Megapacks, I'm just not sure we see it that drastically this quarter. We'll see.
-You have revenue for Service & Other up QoQ ever so slightly but COGS down almost $200m. Maybe they got more efficient, I don't know.
-You have the COGS/vehicle going up ~$1k/unit. Is this due to the CT line starting or the underutilization of the factories (thus, the fix costs per unit are a bit higher)? The company said on the last call that the were reaching the natural limit of bringing costs down -> right around $36k/vehicle sold by my calculations.

Like I said, very minor and I do think you'll end up pretty close (pending unexpected deferred FSD revenue recognition or something like that).

Breaking out leased cars and assuming ASP and margin carry over from Q4, I get

Auto Sales Revenue: 16.5b, COGS 13.75b
Leasing: 500m Rev, 300m Exp
Reg credits a crapshoot, as usual, so 500m

ASP is helped by CT but hurt by a slight mix shift away from S/X/CT toward 3/Y. Discounting maybe picked up a little, too
Average COGS helped by ongoing commodity price declines, hurt by CT
Net/net I think constant ASP and unit COGS is a good assumption

Energy at 1500m and 1150m sounds reasonable, it's mostly POC accounting now so pretty steady
280m Service gross profit sounds way too high. Q4 was 59m and best quarter was 166m. Used cars are in here, and values keep falling. I'd say 100m.
@Thekiwi 's other numbers look fine, so unless CT costs are through the roof I see ~1.6b net profit

I think Q2 is when earnings reverse the trend. Limiting production to boost gross margin and laying off staff to cut overhead is going to help net profit and net cash flow recover. Eliminating inventory discounts will motivate potential buyers to jump the fence rather than wait for further discounts. FSD revenue will also receive a boost. The long-term impact of these short-term fixes is unclear, but the immediate impact on the bottom line for Q2 will be quite pronounced.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
I think Q2 is when earnings reverse the trend. Limiting production to boost gross margin and laying off staff to cut overhead is going to help net profit and net cash flow recover. Eliminating inventory discounts will motivate potential buyers to jump the fence rather than wait for further discounts. FSD revenue will also receive a boost. The long-term impact of these short-term fixes is unclear, but the immediate impact on the bottom line for Q2 will be quite pronounced.
Doing the layoff in Q2 will add costs to Q2 for severance packages and restructuring. I think deliveries > production in Q2 as they had lots of cars in transit in Q1 which will add a benefit. I have a feeling they will recognize a lot deferred FSD revenue in Q2 as sFSD is no longer Beta.

In all my hunch is that Q2 will improve margins but it will be a messy quarter with lots of pluses and minuses making it easy to argue either side.

Reactions: The Accountant
. I have a feeling they will recognize a lot deferred FSD revenue in Q2 as sFSD is no longer Beta.

Why?

Beta is not a term with any meaning in GAAP (or in the law either). Removing it doesn't permit any additional revenue recognition at all.

The only deferred FSD money is from the following things:

The pre March 2019 buyers who are owed L4 or better-- that's unrecognized and staying that way till L4.

The post March 2019 buyers who hadn't received city streets-- this was already recognized for all NA customers when Tesla allowed all NA FSD owners to request the beta without any other gates so it's gone (recognized)--- this is still owed to outside-NA buyers, but take rates in EU and AP are VERY low so it's not a lot of $... and it's not going to be recognized for sure in the EU this year based on regulations, and unlikely in AP this year either since AFAIK they still lack a ton of local datacenter compute there (and you can't export customer data from China, so FSD in china has to be trained in china)

The post-USS removal people who paid for, but had not received, autopark and summon... this is the ONLY category of revenue that will see recognition-- and it'll be in Q1 for autopark since that went out already in Q1 (late March). Summon might come in Q2. But I don't expect either to be especially large amounts as these were a minority of the features and thus a minority of the FSD cost would go it them.

Why?

Beta is not a term with any meaning in GAAP (or in the law either). Removing it doesn't permit any additional revenue recognition at all.

The only deferred FSD money is from the following things:

The pre March 2019 buyers who are owed L4 or better-- that's unrecognized and staying that way till L4.

The post March 2019 buyers who hadn't received city streets-- this was already recognized for all NA customers when Tesla allowed all NA FSD owners to request the beta without any other gates so it's gone (recognized)--- this is still owed to outside-NA buyers, but take rates in EU and AP are VERY low so it's not a lot of $... and it's not going to be recognized for sure in the EU this year based on regulations, and unlikely in AP this year either since AFAIK they still lack a ton of local datacenter compute there (and you can't export customer data from China, so FSD in china has to be trained in china)

The post-USS removal people who paid for, but had not received, autopark and summon... this is the ONLY category of revenue that will see recognition-- and it'll be in Q1 for autopark since that went out already in Q1 (late March). Summon might come in Q2. But I don't expect either to be especially large amounts as these were a minority of the features and thus a minority of the FSD cost would go it them.
I agree with this assessment. The only thing I would add as an aside is that it is likely that the $199/$99 monthly subscriptions are recognized 100% in revenue and nothing deferred. With outright FSD purchase, I think it is about 60%-65% recognized to income and 35%-40% deferred until FSD is feature complete.

They have a list of milestones when they will have certain % in deferred revenue. Going from beta to no longer beta likely happened as they thought that they had accomplished some goals which likely correspond to the goals for recognising deferred revenue.
You could be correct. I'm leaning toward no significant deferred revenue recognition but there is a bit of judgment in making this assessment. Tesla could make some case for recognition that PwC (their auditors) may sign off on. Tesla has usually been conservative in their accounting.