Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my Model Y collection earlier this week from Staines - verdict is wow. I didn't have a chance to do my own test drive (too young!) so whilst a Tesla staff member took me on a drive in March, I hadn't had a chance to drive myself.
  • Collected with 6 miles (not the 30 on the invoice), ~50% charge
  • Handover process was very straightforward - they confirmed all payments were complete (I'd swapped from HP to cash the Friday beforehand as the agreement wasn't great), handed me the cards and just went "any issues, pop back in!". The car appeared on the app straightaway and asked me to allow bluetooth access. There was also no rush to leave - I was left alone to take a look around / get everything set up.
  • It came with the boot cover / usb stick (in the glovebox, took me time to find it!) / carpet floor mats. Mobile connector & charging cable were in the front.
  • Tyre pressures were correct, no need to adjust them
  • Only items of note with the car were:
    • Drivers side highlight unit - one corner was slightly sticking out like a few others have reported. Scheduled for a mobile service next week
    • Tiny bit of blue tape on the top of the boot door - presume it was some protective thing for transit so I've removed it
    • Sticker residue on some trim - the car is getting washed tomorrow so I'll deal with it then!
  • Otherwise the rest of the exterior / interior is great
  • Autopilot - wow! Once it'd finished calibrating (just as I joined the M4) I used it most of the way back home. It likes to sit more left/center of the lane than I normally do (especially passing lorries) but otherwise worked great
  • Regen braking - very very strong, I've done ~400 miles since the start of the week and I've barely gone near the brakes!
  • Efficiency - ~260wh/mi with a mix of motorway / A road driving - I do have it in chill mode however! Interested to see after today with ~300miles of motorway driving to complete...
  • Comfort - less bouncy than my '11 Lexus CT. My partner loves the seats, and my family enjoyed having decent leg room when I took them out. My 2yo niece also loved the glass roof, and that Cbeebies works on the screen 😂 Her child seat was also so easy to fit - there's so much space to move around!
  • Visibility - apart from the rear window it is excellent. Being higher up with a massive windscreen is superb and parking is so easy with 3 cameras + sensors...
  • V5c form arrived 4 days later in the post
The main issue we've had is our Zappi charger broke on its second use - apparently there was a faulty batch of RCD boards towards the start of the year and mine was affected. Thankfully there's ample superchargers in/near Reading that I'll be using until it's fixed later this week...
Too young for a test drive? I have to ask..... How much is your insurance?

I picked up my Model Y two weeks ago, having traded-in my 2019 M3P. No issues with the paintwork, panel gaps etc.

However, the car is riddled with loud creaks and rattles coming from several different areas – somewhere in the centre console / behind the screen, around the passenger seat and all across the rear back seats (not a seatbelt / seat buckle issue). Very disappointed and I am somewhat regretting trading-in my M3P (which was 100% rattle-free for the three years I had it!). Service centre booked for next week, though I’m not expecting miracles.

Collected my Y from Glasgow yesterday. They had charged it to 90% as requested, no paint or build issues, and then a spectacular 255 mile drive home via Fort William. Still working my way through the various "quirks and features" Doug DeMuro style. One problem straight away - the mud flaps are so long that they briefly scrape the stones on my gravel drive...

I noticed today that RHS/driver side mirror does not adjust any further to right than - looking back at the mirror - pass driver and rear door handles. LHS/passenger mirror on the other hand extends almost infinitely to the left.

Did anyone notice the same difference with their MY mirrors?

I noticed today that RHS/driver side mirror does not adjust any further to right than - looking back at the mirror - pass driver and rear door handles. LHS/passenger mirror on the other hand extends almost infinitely to the left.

Did anyone notice the same difference with their MY mirrors?

Not noticed mirrors are set where I'd want them I can try and see if they'll move further out for you on mine if needed

Gave effe a quick was and polish today just using that tcut colour stuff obviously in grey as I couldn't find my high def 🤦‍♂️ it's come out very well in fairness and due to the amount of glass isn't the hardest car to polish 😂

Attachments

• 5A640375-0CB4-4B40-8600-B795CD9A9442.jpeg
    5A640375-0CB4-4B40-8600-B795CD9A9442.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Love
Reactions: Benotomy
Not noticed mirrors are set where I'd want them I can try and see if they'll move further out for you on mine if needed
Would be great if it is not any trouble for you please? It seems as if RhS’s movement is limited outwards (perhaps due to having WiFI antenna?) and does stop almost where I want too but for some reason if you wish to see further out it does not adjust pass the door handles as much as the LHS does…many thanks in advance.

Reactions: Sparky750
Would be great if it is not any trouble for you please? It seems as if RhS’s movement is limited outwards (perhaps due to having WiFI antenna?) and does stop almost where I want too but for some reason if you wish to see further out it does not adjust pass the door handles as much as the LHS does…many thanks in advance.

You're only bloody right, RHS moved about 2mm further than where I have it set where as the left hand moves loads I've taken pictures to try and show with the phone as my head would be (ignore the messy garage it's on the list 😂)
For reference the garage door visible in the mirrors is 4.1m wide

Attachments

• 9C07B300-82F0-40F1-80D8-725732168062.jpeg
    9C07B300-82F0-40F1-80D8-725732168062.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 245C3B38-B7A9-492E-9D08-4D78F06ABA1C.jpeg
    245C3B38-B7A9-492E-9D08-4D78F06ABA1C.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Benotomy
You're only bloody right, RHS moved about 2mm further than where I have it set where as the left hand moves loads I've taken pictures to try and show with the phone as my head would be (ignore the messy garage it's on the list 😂)
For reference the garage door visible in the mirrors is 4.1m wide
Thanks for checking and confirming! 👍most likely something to do with the wifi antenna installation, unless someone reports otherwise

Reactions: Sparky750
At last, here is my experience after yesterdays last minute it's a no go/its a go for delivery.

We set off very early morning by train to collect from Bluewater.

As many have mentioned, Bluewater pick up was a breeze, just show proof of ID, sign and boom, you are off. Well we took over an hour to fully inspect/setup. Anything you find as an issue you need to raise via app as they have no one to do anything on site.

Initial overview - the car is everything we expected, it looks amazing, period! :D

As from @rb98 great feedback, I too had the same stuff in the car and also 6 miles on the car.

• Tyres: all 42 PSI apart from Drivers side front where it was 41 PSI.
  • Software was up to date
  • Car was at 80% as a gesture of good will based on them cancelling my delivery as the original car I was due was faulty.

What caught my eye:

• A few bubbles in one of the PPF sections but I think I can sort that out...
  • Similar issues as others reported, drivers side headlight protruding ever so slightly compared to the other.
    1663529546408.jpeg
1663529504614.jpeg

• Frunk/Froot seems lower/slightly sunk in on the drivers side than the other side, maybe "normal"?
1663529586509.jpeg

1663529595842.jpeg

• Passenger door corner near pillar B protruding out compared to the drivers door. Booked service.
1663529602326.jpeg

1663529606852.jpeg

After the inspection we foolishly decided to "pop into London" and watch people queuing ! This was a sure way to get used to the car fast and put me/it through its paces.

What worked well:

• Adaptive cruise control in London's start/stop tight moving traffic worked well - it likes to sometimes set off like you are on a roller coaster and sometimes it sets off nice and easy. It also likes to stop quite late but when it does stop, it does it in a smooth and confident way. I can now see the appeal of FSD to navigate though the traffic lights etc. on a start/stop basis as Adaptive control does not take anything else into account when it comes to traffic light status or crossing.

• Autopilot in the same traffic also worked well. As always, you need to be aware of all the traffic and people but overall when you pick the time/place to use it it worked well for me.

• I would say the overall ride was very comfortable especially going over some crazy pot holes through London and this is my view coming from another heavy guzzler with air suspension. Not complaints here. Driving back home at night the lights (which I think are matrix) are so bright. The light show was awesome!

• Like many others have said, the handling and acceleration is so much fun, and the responsive feedback instills confidence when driving it. The standard acceleration was mental, I can't imagine what the acceleration boost would be like.

• Safety with Adaptive cruise:
    When a pedestrian at a crossing (close to the road edge) looked like they were going to cross, while we were driving past them. The car cautiously slowed for a moment but as the pedestrian stood still the car continued onward.

On another occasion a pedestrian walking on the road side was figuring out if they wanted to actually cross and once they did the car was already slowing down and then came to a stop while they crossed. Mind blown!

I was in full control all the time and ready to jump in but the car was doing an amazing job.

Although initially stressful to be driving a brand new car in London on a Saturday it actually was a pleasure and over the course of the day I was enjoying silently weaving in and out traffic. :D

Wireless XBOX controller + 500GB SSD in glovebox:

I did not test the central USB C sockets for data capability but I did extend the use of the USB A socket in the glovebox by adding an Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub. This allowed me to add the a MAYFLASH MAGIC NS 2 Wireless Bluetooth USB Adapter which paired wirelessly with an XBOX X/S controller for 2 player gaming of Beach Buggy Racing 2.

At the same time I plugged in a 500GB SSD to the Anker hub replacing the Tesla USB stick. I then formatted it and its now working well along side the wireless controller dongle. No issues with this setup to my knowledge as in the next day Sentry recorded several events when neighbours would walk/peak too close to the car :D

32A Commando socket
This was the true test at the end of the night to see if it would ultimately charge the car. Good news it did and 26KWh/100 mile range increase later and the car was ready for a full days use dropping off and picking up kids. Car at the moment show 17% left and we have done over 200 miles since we picked it up yesterday.

The scheduling on the Tesla app took a bit to figure out but we got there in the end. Would be so much easier to just have start and end time but hay ho!

So overall, yes, it is worth waiting for and feels surreal to actually have it at home, it has not fully sunk in. :D

Hoping to spot some 72 plates out there for a proper salute/nod/wave whatever ;D

All the best everyone, have a good BH!

At last, here is my experience after yesterdays last minute it's a no go/its a go for delivery.

As many have mentioned, Bluewater pick up was a breeze, just show proof of ID, sign and boom, you are off. Well we took over an hour to fully inspect/setup. Anything you find as an issue you need to raise via app as they have no one to do anything on site.

Initial overview - the car is everything we expected, it looks amazing, period! :D

As from @rb98 great feedback, I too had the same stuff in the car and also 6 miles on the car.

• Car was at 80% as a gesture of good will based on them cancelling my delivery as the original car I was due was faulty.

What caught my eye:

• Similar issues as others reported, drivers side headlight protruding ever so slightly compared to the other.View attachment 853989
View attachment 853988
  • Frunk/Froot seems lower/slightly sunk in on the drivers side than the other side, maybe "normal"?
View attachment 853990
View attachment 853991

• Passenger door corner near pillar B protruding out compared to the drivers door. Booked service.
View attachment 853992

View attachment 853993

After the inspection we foolishly decided to "pop into London" and watch people queuing ! This was a sure way to get used to the car fast and put me/it through its paces.

What worked well:

• Adaptive cruise control in London's start/stop tight moving traffic worked well - it likes to sometimes set off like you are on a roller coaster and sometimes it sets off nice and easy. It also likes to stop quite late but when it does stop, it does it in a smooth and confident way. I can now see the appeal of FSD to navigate though the traffic lights etc. on a start/stop basis as Adaptive control does not take anything else into account when it comes to traffic light status or crossing.

• Autopilot in the same traffic also worked well. As always, you need to be aware of all the traffic and people but overall when you pick the time/place to use it it worked well for me.

• I would say the overall ride was very comfortable especially going over some crazy pot holes through London and this is my view coming from another heavy guzzler with air suspension. Not complaints here. Driving back home at night the lights (which I think are matrix) are so bright. The light show was awesome!

• Like many others have said, the handling and acceleration is so much fun, and the responsive feedback instills confidence when driving it. The standard acceleration was mental, I can't imagine what the acceleration boost would be like.

When a pedestrian at a crossing (close to the road edge) looked like they were going to cross, while we were driving past them. The car cautiously slowed for a moment but as the pedestrian stood still the car continued onward.

On another occasion a pedestrian walking on the road side was figuring out if they wanted to actually cross and once they did the car was already slowing down and then came to a stop while they crossed. Mind blown!

I was in full control all the time and ready to jump in but the car was doing an amazing job.

Although initially stressful to be driving a brand new car in London on a Saturday it actually was a pleasure and over the course of the day I was enjoying silently weaving in and out traffic. :D

I did not test the central USB C sockets for data capability but I did extend the use of the USB A socket in the glovebox by adding an Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub. This allowed me to add the a MAYFLASH MAGIC NS 2 Wireless Bluetooth USB Adapter which paired wirelessly with an XBOX X/S controller for 2 player gaming of Beach Buggy Racing 2.

At the same time I plugged in a 500GB SSD to the Anker hub replacing the Tesla USB stick. I then formatted it and its now working well along side the wireless controller dongle. No issues with this setup to my knowledge as in the next day Sentry recorded several events when neighbours would walk/peak too close to the car :D

32A Commando socket
This was the true test at the end of the night to see if it would ultimately charge the car. Good news it did and 26KWh/100 mile range increase later and the car was ready for a full days use dropping off and picking up kids. Car at the moment show 17% left and we have done over 200 miles since we picked it up yesterday.

The scheduling on the Tesla app took a bit to figure out but we got there in the end. Would be so much easier to just have start and end time but hay ho!

So overall, yes, it is worth waiting for and feels surreal to actually have it at home, it has not fully sunk in. :D

Hoping to spot some 72 plates out there for a proper salute/nod/wave whatever ;D

Do you have links to the hub and ssd you're using? Also did you format in the car? I plugged in my memory card and it wouldn't let me format and my usbc adaptors for my macbook are all in work 🤦‍♂️😂 however having an ssd and hub sounds like a better solution to me if as you say sentry is still working because if love to get some game controlers in the car for the kids you understand 😂

Reactions: Daedalus

What caught my eye:

• Similar issues as others reported, drivers side headlight protruding ever so slightly compared to the other.View attachment 853989
View attachment 853988
View attachment 853990
View attachment 853991

View attachment 853992

View attachment 853993

What worked well:

32A Commando socket

Some of those alignments are actually pretty shocking.

Is this a different VIN versus the one you were originally assigned? Is it from an earlier batch?

What caught my eye:

View attachment 853988
View attachment 853990
View attachment 853991

View attachment 853992

View attachment 853993

What worked well:

32A Commando socket

Thanks for sharing. If you want a 2nd opinion I would say that the frunk alignment doesn't look normal to me...Worth getting checked out

Do you have links to the hub and ssd you're using? Also did you format in the car? I plugged in my memory card and it wouldn't let me format and my usbc adaptors for my macbook are all in work 🤦‍♂️😂 however having an ssd and hub sounds like a better solution to me if as you say sentry is still working because if love to get some game controlers in the car for the kids you understand 😂
Yes I was able to formated the SSD in the car.

Below are the links to all the kit I used.

Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Hub https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y25XFGK

MAYFLASH MAGIC NS 2 Wireless Dongle which supports Xbox S/X controller. Its one controller per dongle. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09PT92QL1

Storage Crucial BX500 480GB SSD https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G3KGYZQ

2.5 Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-free External Hard Drive Enclosure https://amzn.eu/d/j6Ehe5s

Some of those alignments are actually pretty shocking.

Is this a different VIN versus the one you were originally assigned? Is it from an earlier batch?
Newer, the one I was meant to get was 418 and the one I got is 426. I found out that the battery was dead on the original one but they couldn't replace it at Bluewater so they matched with this one.

I agree, I expected better and not to be picking up on such things.

On the other side, I have been thrashing the car just to put it through its paces and see how it handles heavy usage and there is nothing to report in terms of driving, functionality and charging. Everything is working how I expect it to work.

Only annoyance now is booking the time to get it sorted. Which means I will be going on a little 60mile return mini road trip to the SC, which I don't mind driving there and back. 😊

Newer, the one I was meant to get was 418 and the one I got is 426. I found out that the battery was dead on the original one but they couldn't replace it at Bluewater so they matched with this one.

I agree, I expected better and not to be picking up on such things.

On the other side, I have been thrashing the car just to put it through its paces and see how it handles heavy usage and there is nothing to report in terms of driving, functionality and charging. Everything is working how I expect it to work.

Only annoyance now is booking the time to get it sorted. Which means I will be going on a little 60mile return mini road trip to the SC, which I don't mind driving there and back. 😊
I booked mine in for a trip to the service centre, thinking the same, then they changed it to a home visit.