Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality at home charging, are charge ports really needed to be installed at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am trying to get my ducks in a row before i purchase a used Model S 2016+

I had an electrician come out to my house and he advised i would need a NEMA (or whatever its called) port installed in my wall near the fuse box. I plan on charging the Tesla outside in my driveway and away from my house(wife is paranoid of electricity and possible fires). I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on charging equipment I don't really need, but I also want my charging to be safe and proper. My anticipated charging rate will be level 2, but if the car will be outside in the elements as its charging I also don't want to have to worry about potential downpours of rain, sleet, ice or snow to become a problem.

Are the Tesla wall chargers or Chargepoint brand really needed in order for me to charge safely?

Wall connectors can be installed outside.

One the weakest links in charging is the infamous 14-50 outlet (that Tesla no longer supplies with your new car).

Depending on distance it may be a bit more costly than an outlet next to the fuse box. But a Wall Connector is WAY safer and more robust. Safest setup is short cords and hard wiring. Make it effortless to plug in.

If you can install the the wall connector just out of direct weather, like under and overhang I think that is better but not required.

A lot people will spend $100k and insist it’s worth saving a few $100 using an antiquated Oven/Camping outlet because the plug came with their car and therefore the best solution. And how much money they saved doing themselves with the wrong gauge wire, wrong outlet, wrong breaker. They will claim their house has not burned down for years or electrocuted anyone and therefore it’s good.

14-50 made sense 8 years ago. Not today.

Many electricians don’t know better either.

There is a reason why they call it a “mobile connector” and why they dropped including the 14-50 adapter.

Wall connectors can be installed outside.

One the weakest links in charging is the infamous 14-50 outlet (that Tesla no longer supplies with your new car).

Depending on distance it may be a bit more costly than an outlet next to the fuse box. But a Wall Connector is WAY safer and more robust. Safest setup is short cords and hard wiring. Make it effortless to plug in.

If you can install the the wall connector just out of direct weather, like under and overhang I think that is better but not required.

A lot people will spend $100k and insist it’s worth saving a few $100 using an antiquated Oven/Camping outlet because the plug came with their car and therefore the best solution. And how much money they saved doing themselves with the wrong gauge wire, wrong outlet, wrong breaker. They will claim their house has not burned down for years or electrocuted anyone and therefore it’s good.

14-50 made sense 8 years ago. Not today.

Many electricians don’t know better either.

There is a reason why they call it a “mobile connector” and why they dropped including the 14-50 adapter.
So what would you recommend for an EVSE?

If you have a Tesla you might as well use all Tesla hardware. The Tesla Wall Connector is the highest quality and most appropriate solution for your circumstances.

The reason why it's called a "connector" is that the actual charging equipment is inside the car. This just checks that the power is good and tells the car what kind of power it's going to get.

Both the Tesla Car and the Tesla Wall Connector are very safe. They are intelligent and will not let you do anything wrong that they can control, particularly one of them being responsible for a fire. You can also put a smoke detector in the garage if your wife is still unsure. Your gasoline car is much more likely to catch fire in the garage, or kill you with carbon monoxide.

Both the Tesla Car and the Tesla Wall Connector are very safe. They are intelligent and will not let you do anything wrong that they can control, particularly one of them being responsible for a fire. You can also put a smoke detector in the garage if your wife is still unsure. Your gasoline car is much more likely to catch fire in the garage, or kill you with carbon monoxide.
FWIW it is recommended to put a heat/rate of rise detector in garages as smoke detectors are highly subject to falsing due to humidity and dust. I agree with all here, put in the Tesla wall connector. NEMA 14-50 outlets are not rated for multiple plug in/out cycles. Leave the mobile connector in the car just in case !

FWIW it is recommended to put a heat/rate of rise detector in garages as smoke detectors are highly subject to falsing due to humidity and dust. I agree with all here, put in the Tesla wall connector. NEMA 14-50 outlets are not rated for multiple plug in/out cycles. Leave the mobile connector in the car just in case !
They are far more likely to false with ICE cars in the garage. I put a smoke detector in my garage. I have one plug in hybrid and one EV. So ICE has yet to run in the garage. I think my house is more dusty than my garage. ;)

So get a Tesla Wall connector and have it hard wired into the breaker box?

Is this the right one to use?

1649288700587.png

1649288755705.png

So get a Tesla Wall connector and have it hard wired into the breaker box?

Is this the right one to use?

View attachment 790791
View attachment 790792
Gen 2 or Gen 3 is fine. Gen 3 has Wi-Fi and can do the locking.

Gen 2 came in 8ft and 24ft. Gen 3 came in 18ft and lot of folks not happy. Now Gen 3 comes in 24ft again. Gen 2 can go up to 80A (only older S/X can use that). Gen 3 can only do 48A (same limit as all cars shipped today)

Watch out early Gen 3 had lots of issues. I bought a Gen 2 (new on EBay) for that reason. I also needed that 24ft.

Not sure if early issues on Gen 3 were firmware issues or hardware. Be careful buying 3rd party.

That looks like early Gen 3

Those pics were taken from a lady on NextDoor who said when she moved in to her house, the previous owner left it there. Maybe I should steer clear of it?
The early ones made for the first year overheated and shut down, and they will send you another one. Hey, if it is free or low cost, maybe not much to lose. I am not sure of the revision number of the newer part that fixed the overheating. You may have some problems without a receipt or purchase proof from Tesla for any issues, however.

Reactions: mswlogo