Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality not so bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... must have pretty good luck to look at 14 cars and not spot any issues. I went by the center in my area and they only had one Y out in the parking lot. I don't know the story of it or if it was a rejected car, but it was not in good shape and I left pretty disappointed. The white paint looked good as far as I could tell under the covered garage but the rear trunk and the doors on both sides of the car were not aligned well. There was also condensation in one of the tail lights, which I did not know was a problem for the Model Y and had not read about with them until just now. Maybe I looked at the same car that some above have mentioned based off the taillight with condensation. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with what I saw.

Last edited:
Reactions: raggedy
The poor QC in combination with increasingly poor customer service has earned Tesla scrutiny.

My delivery center is very smug too, which makes things worse. I rejected a car because there was a scratch clean through the paint. They seemed very irritated with me. The sales manager bragged the next day that they sold the car without issue to another buyer on a snowy Saturday. He even said that they used to care when they only sold luxury cars.

Reactions: omegafiler
My delivery center is very smug too, which makes things worse. I rejected a car because there was a scratch clean through the paint. They seemed very irritated with me. The sales manager bragged the next day that they sold the car without issue to another buyer on a snowy Saturday. He even said that they used to care when they only sold luxury cars.
Sounds like employee issue, not Tesla issue

The employees at the delivery center here in SoCal were super nice and accommodating, same at the service center

I took delivery yesterday, minor issues needing alignment, nothing for me to consider not accepting.
July build, a bit splotchy paint. Today is now getting corrected and protected!
But the driving experience was so great.

Glad you had a good experience. What color MY and would you mind showing pics of it? It's the splotchy paint that would bug the S out of me, so that's what I've focused on.

thanks and enjoy!

Sales manager only cares about making his own job easy not the least concerned about customer satisfaction. Utterly lacking any empathy for customers. Should be demoted to sweeping the toilets for 6 months. And I'm saying it with kindness.

I recently visited the local Tesla Showroom, where they have several models in the parking garage. Just a normal walk around each vehicle and I could easily find at least a couple of defects on every one of them. Panel alignments, paint defects, loose trim, etc. On the test drive, wind and road noise is excessive, as are squeaks and rattles. Which mirrored what I saw back in 2019 when I was originally giving Tesla a serious consideration. The more egregious defects being what appears to be the early build Model Y's. All technically fixable, but why would they not already be addressed on a Demo vehicle? Because as we've all noted - most people don't care and/or notice.

I can do the same walk-around and test drive with my wife, and she may only notice 10% of what I'm seeing. At least until I point it out, and even then, she may not care. After all, it's new and shiny, EV coolness, etc.

Which at least for myself, means that the notion of "you'll mostly find negativity on forums and doesn't represent the full picture" just goes right out the window. Yes, there is some truth to that old adage. But I've been on forums for decades with a wide range of vehicles. You can't dismiss these "complainers" when they are this prevalent and I can clearly see these same issues on my own.

With that said, I do like Tesla, and I love what they're doing on the EV front. I want them to improve and continue to succeed. That won't happen if people keep making excuses for them. As their market dominance increases, so too will scrutiny from car buyers who aren't willing to dismiss so many quality issues when there are increasingly more competitive alternatives showing up on dealer lots.

I placed an order for a Tesla Model Y Performance this week. Given the potentially wide discrepancy in quality between each vehicle, a demo vehicle may be nothing like the one sitting in front of the Tesla SC with your name on it. So I'll see how it goes. I'm willing to accept some minor defects if Tesla agrees to fix it. Understanding, this is still relatively early for a new model. If not, I'll return it, and buy something else. Which Tesla is fine with, as I'm sure somebody else will happily accept it, defects and all.

Sorry for my delayed response, I really couldn't find a photo that shows what I called "splotchy", I see it as I walk around it, knowing what is and isn't a shadow/reflection. Just appears to be very thin coat of paint and I can sometimes see ghosting of where the paint is very thin and more white where coverage is good, hard to explain, but I'm fine, nothing is perfect.
I hope your delivery went well and your enjoying the Y.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p6w8AhwV4ozWsnYW8

Sorry for my delayed response, I really couldn't find a photo that shows what I called "splotchy", I see it as I walk around it, knowing what is and isn't a shadow/reflection. Just appears to be very thin coat of paint and I can sometimes see ghosting of where the paint is very thin and more white where coverage is good, hard to explain, but I'm fine, nothing is perfect.

My botched delivery had many paint scratches, but there were also spots where the paint didn't cover things. Delivery called them chips, but it was just paint that didn't cover things underneath. Although the Tesla site says white is a multi-coat paint, delivery said on this cheaper paint they only do one coat. The implication was that because I 'cheaped-out' it was somehow what I should expect. They offered to take the car back after the list of defects was over 20.

• Informative
Reactions: BlindPass

thanks for the response and explanation. that's exactly what I saw on a friend's white MY. I ordered white, but I am considering changing colors now if Tesla is going to continue to paint their white MYs like this. I know some will say to examine it at delivery and reject it if it's not acceptable, and others will say I'm being too picky and to accept it for the wonderful technology.

end of the day we all decide what's acceptable.

Reactions: Reeler
My 16xxx suffers from numerous panel and door alignment and gap issues, splotchy white paint, and an extremely irritating high pitch whine at speeds over > 45 mph. Tesla has had the car for a little more than a week now and is signaling that they aren't going to fix any of these items.

My suggestion to potential buyers is to inspect every gap, panel, and stitch at delivery and document absolutely everything. If the defect is extremely minor (dirty interior trim, malfunctioning coat hook, etc) you can expect Tesla to resolve the issue post delivery, however, if the issue is more serious (hood, hatch, or door alignment issues, paint, etc) do not count on Tesla do what's right because they probably won't. Do not assume they will resolve panel gaps, simply reject the car and wait for the next one. Waiting several additional weeks is far better than repeatedly fighting Tesla service to resolve systemic workmanship and build quality issues.

This not a Honda, Subaru, or Audi you're buying here. If you aren't hyper-vigilant at delivery you may end up like me, owning a $55K car that looks like it's a poorly repaired salvage title.

thanks for the response and explanation. that's exactly what I saw on a friend's white MY. I ordered white, but I am considering changing colors now if Tesla is going to continue to paint their white MYs like this. I know some will say to examine it at delivery and reject it if it's not acceptable, and others will say I'm being too picky and to accept it for the wonderful technology.

end of the day we all decide what's acceptable.

This is anecdotal, but I've inspected over a dozen Model Ys over the course of several trips to the service center and the red cars always seem to be the best, while the white ones tend to be the worst.

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler and MYMY
This is anecdotal, but I've inspected over a dozen Model Ys over the course of several trips to the service center and the red cars always seem to be the best, while the white ones tend to be the worst.

I like the sound of that ... my red MY is due next week. But then again, for the $2,000 premium for red, I'll be extra particular in my inspection.