Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quarter glass. None in stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why doesn’t Telsa have any driver’s side quarter glass pieces in stock??? I’ve been waiting two weeks now since my glass guy ordered one from Tesla in Fremont.

On the very same night that my brand new Model 3 was delivered, it was broken into. Some punk broke throw the driver’s side quarter glass, pulled the lever on the back seat and pushed it down, apparently to peek into my trunk just to SEE if I had anything valuable (I didn’t. I only had the car for 30 minutes before I parked it, where it was broken into).

So my brand new tesla has been sitting in my garage for two weeks now with a hole in the quarter glass.

Attachments

• 7F04DD42-6E59-41B0-A340-A4A625583D89.jpeg
    7F04DD42-6E59-41B0-A340-A4A625583D89.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 112
982A614F-7CF1-4D8A-868D-D648FBC0036E.jpeg A44DD615-A8B1-4357-82C7-BDC85090A15A.jpeg

I waited 2 months for my quarter glass, 1st parts arrived shattered, 2nd time it’s scratched, now I’m waiting for 3rd one while my car been installed with scratched glass.
Lack of parts and such careless inspection will destroy Tesla’s credibility I have to say.

I’ve seen story after story about this. Appears to be quite the epidemic in CA. Perhaps they’re low on stock for that piece of glass due to all of the break ins?

I wish Tesla would do something to help address this. Some sort of broken glass sensor that triggers all the AP2 camera to record video would be at least a start. I believe the EU spec cars have ultrasonic sensors inside as part of the alarm, wish they existed on US spec cars.

Hey, maybe just wire the seat lever to the HV battery.

I wish Tesla would do something to help address this. Some sort of broken glass sensor that triggers all the AP2 camera to record video would be at least a start. I believe the EU spec cars have ultrasonic sensors inside as part of the alarm, wish they existed on US spec cars.

Even with the video, law enforcement wouldn't do anything unless s/he is a super obvious known suspect.

Sorry to hear. What a horrible way to end the day when you get a new car. You are now part of a larger club in the bay area unfortunately. Advice would be don't keep anything in your car, keep your back seat down when you leave the car and think twice about getting window tinting. If they can't see in chances are they will breakin in if given the chance. Lots of other nice crossovers etc out there with dark tinting in their rear section for them to take a chance on instead of your car.

BTW we were hit in San Jose last year in the Black Angus parking lot. Where did your breakin happen?

Last edited:

Need a thin braided steel wire loop that goes around the inside of the window frame. If someone breaks it and sticks their hand in, the loop closes and tightens up hard on their arm and holds them in place until the police (if they are lucky) arrive, or the owner does (if they are unlucky). They can choose to wait and face consequences, or fight it and deglove their hand and leave it as a souvenir for the owner.

Reactions: DOCAL

Instead of Tesla doing something about this maybe CA state and city legislatures step up to the plate?

Instead of Tesla doing something about this maybe CA state and city legislatures step up to the plate?

I don’t think anyone in that group is intelligent enough to do anything that wouldn’t make things worse. Our state legislature is a jobs program for the mentally disabled, and the city governments make the state workers look brilliant.

Sorry to hear. What a horrible way to end the day when you get a new car. You are now part of a larger club in the bay area unfortunately...BTW we were hit in San Jose last year in the Black Angus parking lot. Where did your breakin happen?
I live in San Jose, but this occurred in Milpitas at the parking lot of the Sonesta Hotel. I was volunteering at a fundraiser, of all things. Ironically, I even moved my car from the front of the hotel to the back, right behind where I was standing all night. The back window was behind me and my car was visible from where I was. But at dark, I couldn’t see it. So basically the break-in occurred right behind me. So infuriating.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
There is a break in's map for Cali created by SF Bay Area group on FB. Help others by logging yours here. Mine happened in a highly visible and foot traffic area in the Rockridge/College Ave area of Oakland.
Last month there was a special recorded in SF - .....every 17 minutes..... Inside the Wave of 'Smash-and-Grab' Car Robberies Plaguing San Francisco , temp fix was to use clear packaging tape horizontal and vertically and then I covered it all up and cut some leftover black vinyl wrap I had, good luck and stay vigilant. (just noticed this was two weeks ago after I typed this out, hope it helps anyways)

Attachments

• 39132663_10155552734985143_1723639151196110848_o.jpg
    39132663_10155552734985143_1723639151196110848_o.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180815_200922.jpg
    20180815_200922.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180813_214006.jpg
    20180813_214006.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 59
There is a break in's map for Cali created by SF Bay Area group on FB. Help others by logging yours here. Mine happened in a highly visible and foot traffic area in the Rockridge/College Ave area of Oakland.
Last month there was a special recorded in SF - .....every 17 minutes..... Inside the Wave of 'Smash-and-Grab' Car Robberies Plaguing San Francisco , temp fix was to use clear packaging tape horizontal and vertically and then I covered it all up and cut some leftover black vinyl wrap I had, good luck and stay vigilant. (just noticed this was two weeks ago after I typed this out, hope it helps anyways)

THEY said hide it in the trunk!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
The reason this is such an epidemic in the Bay Area and especially SF is that juries tend not to convict for these simple crimes of opportunity, video evidence or not. This is a well-known fact amongst the perpetrators of these crimes. The police stop caring unless there's a pattern (e.g. car theft ring) since their work isn't rewarded with convictions, and prosecutors don't want to bother with cases they know the juries don't want to convict on.

So if this kind of stuff bothers you, when you get SUMMONED for jury duty, take it seriously. Most people do their damndest to avoid it.

Last edited:
The reason this is such an epidemic in the Bay Area and especially SF is that juries tend not to convict for these simple crimes of opportunity, video evidence or not. This is a well-known fact amongst the perpetrators of these crimes. The police stop caring unless there's a pattern (e.g. car theft ring) since their work isn't rewarded with convictions, and prosecutors don't want to bother with cases they know the juries don't want to convict on.

So if this kind of stuff bothers you, when you get SUMMONED for jury duty, take it seriously. Most people do their damndest to avoid it.

There’s no jury needed if there is no arrest and no prosecution.

San Francisco has their priorities messed up. Ban drinking straws but you see discarded hypodermic needle caps everywhere.

Places that have soft laws on petty crime and transients tend to have more of these proyin my experience.

Those places also become a magnet for criminals and the homeless.

Cherry on top are citizens who know if they protect their property they will be the ones going to jail and being prosecuted.