TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Quebec, Vermont collaborate on EVSE network

Discussion in 'North America -' started by clea, Jun 18, 2013.

1. clea

clea Member

2. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

I just hope they're not all 30 amp chargers...

3. clea

clea Member

Hopefully ... if they are, one would have to wonder who the governments are using as consultants for the deployment. If they believe that the EVSEs used for the circuit electriques network deployed mainly in the city will be useful for the inter-city travel reqs then they need to get better consultants ...

4. patp

patp Member

Pretty sure they will...

5. fcharland

fcharland Member

Well more and more EV are getting higher power chargers... crossed fingers they planned accordingly

6. pbrulott

pbrulott Member

Guys, governments are using standards and the standard right now is J1772 and 30A (240V or 208V). Better than nothing but not quite DC chargers. That's why we need to work with HQ and the government to change the mindset. We're coming at it, part of the mission of the Club Tesla Québec. You will hear from us soon

No more Rona/Metro deployments
    Kill the fix $2.50 Circuit Électrique fee and replace by a time based rate/fee
    Deploy in places where people park for hours or rest areas
    Deploy new more powerful DC standards (ChaDeMo or ???)

7. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Pat,

I chatted briefly via email with the Circuit Electrique people and they are doing a beta test on Chademo at a St. Hubert in Boucherville... since there's no Chademo adapter for the S, it doesn't help us. I mentioned to them what we'd like (40+ amp chargers) but I haven't heard back from them.

8. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> we'd like (40+ amp chargers) [zax123]

Make that 80 Amp (or more) per station and much more for overall capacity at each location. They need to seriously oversize their planning NOW, otherwise it will become obsolete very soon. Like the Level IIs.
    --

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

40A is slow - bare minimum. Suitable for overnight charging.

70A or 80A is really needed for practical road tripping.

10. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Yeah I was just being considerate to those that have single chargers. :)

11. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Actually I think they are smarter than that this time. I have spoken twice in the last year with some of the VT officials working with QC and they were aware of the need for at least 70A in places where you are not staying overnight. They already knew that this was appropriate for places like rest areas, restaurants, etc where you aren't waiting a long time. I've been hounding some of the decision makers in VT at our largest utility for some time about this (I can get access to them because they are soooo much smaller than Hydro Quebec). I think in QC they also learned from the example that SCH set.

12. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I fear that if the governments are doing this, they will try and serve the greatest number of EVs possible. Right now, "mainstream" EVs like the Volt and Leaf have greatest market penetration and they cannot, at present, take advantage of high-power chargers. The bean counters will likely see it as an unnecessary expense to employ high-power chargers when only a small fraction of the EV population (ie: us) can use them to full effect.

My gut tells me we'll be getting 40A chargers, yet again, unless there are actually some knowledgeable, forward-thinking people on these committees (HAHAHAHAsnort..... sorry :redface:)

I hope I am proven incorrect in the end.

13. pbrulott

pbrulott Member

Thanks zax123, I'm being one of those. if only governments and hydros would move to DC charging 50-120 kWh instead of AC 6-20 kWh that'd be great. Agileone posted pictures of the ChadeMo trial in Boucherville a while back.

14. clea

clea Member

Why was this thread moved to the Canada sub-forum? This involves members from Vermont as well. Wouldn't it be better placed in the parent North America forum?

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Okay, I'll bump it up a level.

I left a "Permanent Redirect" from the Canada forum. Out of my mod territory now!

16. clea

clea Member

Thanks ...