Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Model S CPO warranty (maintenance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I plan to purchase a MS CPO
but I have question about about Model S CPO warranty (maintenance)
1: is the warranty same as a new car warranty (I heard there is a copay of 200 for extended warranty). is it free for a cpo warranty?

2: The new car warranty includes free yearly maintenance, how about the CPO? Do I have to pay for yearly maintenance or is it free?

3: If I forgot to do a yearly maintenance, is that going to void my CPO warranty? (4year 50k mliles)

thank you in advance for answering my question.

Hi
I plan to purchase a MS CPO
but I have question about about Model S CPO warranty (maintenance)
1: is the warranty same as a new car warranty (I heard there is a copay of 200 for extended warranty). is it free for a cpo warranty?

2: The new car warranty includes free yearly maintenance, how about the CPO? Do I have to pay for yearly maintenance or is it free?

3: If I forgot to do a yearly maintenance, is that going to void my CPO warranty? (4year 50k mliles)

thank you in advance for answering my question.
About #3, I was never able to get a straight answer from Tesla corporate about this, would love to know if anyone knows the real deal about this.

No. Not same. No copays. CPO warranty is free and automatically included in your CPO purchase.

There are 2 kinds. You need to read which is which when you choose yours:

1) 4 year or 50,000 miles whichever first starting from your purchase date:

These are exaggerated examples to illustrate the principle:

Your CPO has been 8 years old with 120,000 miles on the odometer, the year and mile start with that 8 years old + 4 year CPO warranty = 12 years old car, 120,000 miles old + 50,000 miles of CPO warranty = good up to 170,000 miles on your odometer.

2) 2 year or up to 100,000 odometer miles. If your CPO is 1 year old and 99,999 miles on the odometer, you'll have either 2 years or 1 additional mile whichever first for your CPO warranty.

...2: The new car warranty includes free yearly maintenance, how about the CPO? Do I have to pay for yearly maintenance or is it free?...

New car warranty does not include free annual maintenance. You have to pay extra in addition to paying for your new car.

CPO warranty is only kind you have. You cannot buy for extra coverage. If it comes as 2 year CPO warranty then you cannot pay to get more than 2 years. Same with 4 year CPO warranty (can't pay for more than 4 year coverage.) Same with miles (can't pay for more mile coverage.)

I would say no.

No annual maintenance needed for basic new car warranty. Annual maintenance is specifically spelled out as required every year (within 1,000 miles or 1 month) during the duration of Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty).

There's no such annual maintenance requirement spelled out in CPO warranty.

thanks for the reply, congrats on your tesla and when did you get your cpo?

I bought a 2014 P85D in October and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. Like most Tesla owners, I’m in and not going back.

Although the “CPO / Used” sales process is bad as you may have read, if your patient and set your expectations knowing about the delays and lack of communication, you should be happy in the end once you finally get your car.

Read up and ask a lot of questions, there are tons of useful threads and members on this forum to help walk you through what to expect.

Hopefully it’s getting better, at them time I bought, I had to put a deposit before even seeing pictures, fortunately that has changed, now if they will improved picture quality and consistency in formatting, you should be able to know ahead of time the condition of the vehicle. It was a roll of the dice for me!

Good luck!

I bought a 2014 P85D in October and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. Like most Tesla owners, I’m in and not going back.

Although the “CPO / Used” sales process is bad as you may have read, if your patient and set your expectations knowing about the delays and lack of communication, you should be happy in the end once you finally get your car.

Read up and ask a lot of questions, there are tons of useful threads and members on this forum to help walk you through what to expect.

Hopefully it’s getting better, at them time I bought, I had to put a deposit before even seeing pictures, fortunately that has changed, now if they will improved picture quality and consistency in formatting, you should be able to know ahead of time the condition of the vehicle. It was a roll of the dice for me!

Good luck!

Tesla does have a refusal policy if the dice doesn't roll right, although I'm not sure how often you can roll

Tesla does have a refusal policy if the dice doesn't roll right, although I'm not sure how often you can roll

Yeah, I know! I turned down the first one after noticing a dent in one of the pictures. I Had the option to move deposit to another vehicle or get a refund. Ended up find a nice one and moved my deposit.

Yeah, I know! I turned down the first one after noticing a dent in one of the pictures. I Had the option to move deposit to another vehicle or get a refund. Ended up find a nice one and moved my deposit.

perfect. I'm checking out one tomorrow. I'm hoping it's the same as pictures or I can move to another one right? CPO insist on ACH before, but I've heard you can do it at delivery, atleast for the M3.

No. Not same. No copays. CPO warranty is free and automatically included in your CPO purchase.
There are 2 kinds. You need to read which is which when you choose yours:

1) 4 year or 50,000 miles whichever first starting from your purchase date:

These are exaggerated examples to illustrate the principle:

Your CPO has been 8 years old with 120,000 miles on the odometer, the year and mile start with that 8 years old + 4 year CPO warranty = 12 years old car, 120,000 miles old + 50,000 miles of CPO warranty = good up to 170,000 miles on your odometer.

But the new warranty is 8 years and Unlimited miles. If you buy a 2015 CPO with say 50k miles you should have 4 years unlimited miles left on the existing warranty, right?

If you add another 4 year 50K miles warranty, that doesn't make sense to me, because the car has an 8 year unlimited warranty already. SO I get 4 year and 50k miles only??? OR even worse 8 years 50K, how does that make sense? This is worse! Why would I buy a Tesla CPO if that is the case?

Thanks for clarification on the warranty, I assumed the 2 year / 100,000 mile warranty meant I had either 2 years or an ADDITIONAL 100K miles for the warranty, not to when it gets to 100,000 miles. Saved me some heartache. I drive about 30K miles a year anyway so I was going to choose the 2 year 100,000 mile warranty anyway since I would blow thru 50K miles in less than 2 years.

Thanks for clarification on the warranty, I assumed the 2 year / 100,000 mile warranty meant I had either 2 years or an ADDITIONAL 100K miles for the warranty, not to when it gets to 100,000 miles. Saved me some heartache. I drive about 30K miles a year anyway so I was going to choose the 2 year 100,000 mile warranty anyway since I would blow thru 50K miles in less than 2 years.

i think the 4 yr is better for most people also since they're on low mileage cars to begin with

...But the new warranty is 8 years and Unlimited miles...

Only for main battery and drive unit depending on which car and model. Those with 40 kWh, 60 kWh or Model 3 do not qualify for that!

Note that the 2 above coveragea are very restrictive and not expansive. That means if something attached or buit into the battery pack like a contactor is broken, it's not covered because it's not battery itself. Same principle with coverage for your drive unit.

Sorry to bring up this thread.
I am deciding if we will be buying a used Tesla through their website. - Non CPO, but used.
In their 4yr 50,000 warranty, I was reading about the limited warranty and was curious if it is the "bumper to bumper."
I guess, the concerns I have of buying a used Tesla (Even new), are the door handles, MCU, 12v and main compressor. Would these be covered under that 4yr/50k warranty with a purchase without a deductible?
Thank you for the advice.

Sorry to bring up this thread.
I am deciding if we will be buying a used Tesla through their website. - Non CPO, but used.
In their 4yr 50,000 warranty, I was reading about the limited warranty and was curious if it is the "bumper to bumper."
I guess, the concerns I have of buying a used Tesla (Even new), are the door handles, MCU, 12v and main compressor. Would these be covered under that 4yr/50k warranty with a purchase without a deductible?
Thank you for the advice.

CPO/Used/Non-CPO sold by Tesla with a warranty would cover pretty much as if it's new warranty without deductibles. That means:

Road Assistance/towing
door handles, MCU, 12v and main compressor...

But NOT bumper-to-bumper even for a brand new car such as:

No tire/brake pad warranty
Mobile Connector Kit warranty (comes with its own warranty, not with 4/50,000 warranty)

You don't get to choose. Tesla decides which warranty comes with the car.

CPO/Used/Non-CPO sold by Tesla with a warranty would cover pretty much as if it's new warranty without deductibles. That means:

Road Assistance/towing
door handles, MCU, 12v and main compressor...

But NOT bumper-to-bumper even for a brand new car such as:

No tire/brake pad warranty
Mobile Connector Kit warranty (comes with its own warranty, not with 4/50,000 warranty)

Thanks - that makes complete sense.
The main concern is just covering those things that have been known to cause some problems. I see it as, I am prepared to set my expectactions with a used Tesla to obtain that 4yr/50k warranty then go 3rd party.
Other option would be to buy private, under 50k and extend the ESA.

For Tesla CPO with 2 years and 100,000 miles the warranty expires when the car reaches 100,000 miles. My experience with Tesla and everyone at Tesla telling me this that my car when purchased had 85,000 miles and now my car has 102,000 miles. They have refused warranty on my car which is still under 2 years from the date of delivery.