Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about replacing a Tesla in an written off accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, a curly one and hoping someone can fill me in. I haven't had an accident but the glass half full me always wonders this. If your car gets hit etc and written off, insurance will pay you out (no issues) as I have full cover. Does GIO etc help you get another Tesla quicker than the ordinary purchase waiting time? I need mine for work so if anything happened, waiting 6-9 months (this is a guess as unsure of current wait times) is a massive issue. Has anyone heard of anyone going through a written off car and time to get a replacement?

Reactions: David Sowden
No, you get money form the insurance for the market value of your vehicle then you yourself go purchase a replacement. The insurance has nothing to do with Tesla. You wait the same as everyone else for a new order or buy a used one immediately.

Reactions: demaw
I also think about this time and again.

One reason I go with market value with brand new cars is sometimes they would repair a vehicle if it's only slightly cheaper than agreed value. There is a part of me that want to get a payout lower than its value than have an 'almost written-off' Tesla get repaired. Any vehicle that's been half rebuilt will have poor resale, and not to mention questionable safety / performance from that time.

If in 12 months it gets crashed and get a $60k payout (of a $72k brand new Model Y), I think I might prefer that than getting it repaired.

I also think about this time and again.

One reason I go with market value with brand new cars is sometimes they would repair a vehicle if it's only slightly cheaper than agreed value. There is a part of me that want to get a payout lower than its value than have an 'almost written-off' Tesla get repaired. Any vehicle that's been half rebuilt will have poor resale, and not to mention questionable safety / performance from that time.

If in 12 months it gets crashed and get a $60k payout (of a $72k brand new Model Y), I think I might prefer that than getting it repaired.
No insurer will spend $60k repairing a $72k replacement cost. Just too much risk for them with unknown costs that come up during a significant repair. At that ratio it would be written off to remove risk.

Reactions: Morri