Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for Tesla Model 3 Uber Drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He’s in the UK where gas is around $5.50 a gallon and a LR is around 47,000GBP ($63,000) I think. I’m not sure what electricity costs are there or rebates but I suspect this will change your math substantially! Remember this when you’re complaining about how expensive our Model 3s are in the US people!

I grew up in the UK and when I moved to the US I could not believe how inexpensive cars and gas were. I think it’s all just the tax system over there.

Yeah 20% tax on pretty much everything we buy, but it's included in the price so we don't really notice, unless we go to wholesalers.

However where I am from its cheaper than London prices in terms of diesel/petrol.

I still love driving my E class, but I keep looking at Tesla videos and can't help wonder how amazing it would be.

Maybe I'm hyping it up, hence why I'm here to get proper owners views and opinions on it :)

i imagine the Model S is a more appropriate taxi than a Model 3, for the same reason you run an E class instead of C class (passenger volume, cargo volume, etc)

also has longer range and better-shaped seats

I was looking into model S as some are like 10-15k cheaper than a new model 3 with only some having 40k-60k miles, I'm just not sure on the interior, the model 3 interior looks a lot nicer, I'll look more deeper into model S though, thanks :)

When I look at a currency converter, pound sterling is roughly 1.26 US dollars, which makes whatever fuel OP is talking about less than $2 a gallon. I always thought fuel was significantly more expensive in Europe than in the US. Do I have the wrong currency I am using "the google" to convert from, or is fuel really less expensive where OP is than where I am (significantly so if this number is correct)?
I think the OP is quoting the price per liter. So to put it into normal US thinking of gallons, multiply the $1.26 by 4 (actually 3.78 but you get the idea).

They price fuel in Europe by the liter. Looks more reasonable that way. And I agree with others that the Model S is closer size-wise to the E-Class. An uncluttered interior is good, when it comes to cleaning and not having dirt collect in spots. And, the downtime is easier in a Tesla with the large display and access to the internet, etc.

Also, fatigue when driving long-distances or long days in a Model 3 is lower than in other cars I've owned. Obviously, AP plays a role, but that's mostly on motorways. In the city, it would be less of an advantage until AP continues improving beyond beta.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I think the OP is quoting the price per liter. So to put it into normal US thinking of gallons, multiply the $1.26 by 4 (actually 3.78 but you get the idea).

They price fuel in Europe by the liter. Looks more reasonable that way. And I agree with others that the Model S is closer size-wise to the E-Class. An uncluttered interior is good, when it comes to cleaning and not having dirt collect in spots. And, the downtime is easier in a Tesla with the large display and access to the internet, etc.

Also, fatigue when driving long-distances or long days in a Model 3 is lower than in other cars I've owned. Obviously, AP plays a role, but that's mostly on motorways. In the city, it would be less of an advantage until AP continues improving beyond beta.

That's the UK for you. They measure fuel consumption by the gallon (imperial gallon, not US), and fuel at the pumps by the litre.

Thanks all, I knew I was missing something that was simple.

When I look at a currency converter, pound sterling is roughly 1.26 US dollars, which makes whatever fuel OP is talking about less than $2 a gallon. I always thought fuel was significantly more expensive in Europe than in the US. Do I have the wrong currency I am using "the google" to convert from, or is fuel really less expensive where OP is than where I am (significantly so if this number is correct)?

They use liters like pretty much the rest of the civilized world...so...

say $2.00/liter * 3.78541 = $7.57/gallon

This thread is becoming more like one of those nightmare maths questions you'd get in a high school exam!

EDIT: When the UK used gallons there were a different size to US gallons...how screwed up is that!

• Funny
Reactions: Olih93 and KenC
And just to get more OT....

USA drivers quote / measure their ICE fuel efficiency as in miles per gallon (MPG), where higher values are better. While Australia uses liters per 100km (L/100km), where lower values are best. Us math-challenged US drivers have a hard time relating the two (at least I did the two times I've been to Oz). I think UK drivers can use either method.

Fuel in the UK is sold in liters, not gallons.

@Olih93 is quoting £1.11-1.26 per liter, which is about $6 USD per gallon.

EDIT: sorry for the late response - I fired this off without realizing there was a whole second page of dialogue.

• Funny
Reactions: Pemple and Olih93
Would a simple update transform the model 3 or S to a robo taxi in the future? Surely it'll be a brand new Tesla model for that?
The stated intention by Elon has been that when full self driving (FSD) software is perfected, any Tesla with that feature enabled (i.e., paid for) will be able to operate as a robo-taxi. Regardless if the vehicle just came off the assembly line or has been on the road for the last 7 years. Yes, maybe by then the Model Too will have been released (a smaller, urban car) and it would make more sense to use that type of vehicle than an S.

Note: Urban vehicle is only a conjecture on my part. Being named a Too would completed Elon's model lineup as Too S3XY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olih93

I think you're assuming litre prices are gallons. The quoted £1.11-£1.26 will be per litre.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and ucmndd