Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for those with free supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, there are still idle fees. Remember that charging rates at superchargers drastically slow down after reaching 70-80% charge. I charged to 100% once and it was painfully slow towards the end. If a car gets there with under 20% charge, it can easily stay there for 1 hour without reaching 100%. If it does reach 100, then there is a 5 minute grace period before idle fees start. Also, if the station is less than half full (at least half the stalls are still available) then there are no fees.

Yes they still charge idle fees. I’ve gotten a warning. And you don’t have to reach 100%. It starts when you reach your set charge limit, whatever that is. Some will increase the charge limit using the phone app When they get the warning to get a little more time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D
I "supercharged" my 2014 85s(G) from 11% to 98%, when charging stopped as "CComplete", even though the limit was set to 100% and that took 2 1/2 hours...At that decremental rate, there could be a whole lotta Teslas lined up charging and waiting to charge in short order.

BTW, the max Kw I got was 53 for a few seconds only.

Thank you very much

FURY

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce
One interesting benefit of the horrible charging speeds of my P85DL is that it takes FOREVER to charge fully. The last time I tried to supercharge from 20-100% while eating a meal, it took over 90 minutes and never went above 97%. At that rate, I’d never accrue idle fees! Also, I was the only car at the supercharger , so I wasn’t too concerned about blocking others. As a comparison, my model 3 at the same charging station took about 45 minutes to fully charge to 100%.

One interesting benefit of the horrible charging speeds of my P85DL is that it takes FOREVER to charge fully. The last time I tried to supercharge from 20-100% while eating a meal, it took over 90 minutes and never went above 97%. At that rate, I’d never accrue idle fees! Also, I was the only car at the supercharger , so I wasn’t too concerned about blocking others. As a comparison, my model 3 at the same charging station took about 45 minutes to fully charge to 100%.

Model 3's can charge to 100% quickly on Superchargers? Actually stop charging 0kwh and say full?

I understand that the idle fees accrue only when the charger is 50% or more occupied. I doubt I would need to overnight at a supercharger, except once every 2-3 years -- but, I would like to do so, when it is clear that it is so late that 0 (average) Teslas are going to roll in for a charge while I sleep. Having said that, how can Tesla determine that 50% of the site is occupied? The telemetry they currently use is about as accurate as predicting the weather 14 days in advance -- as can be seen in the in-car Center Console navigation.

I am conscientious about avoiding idle time. I have one of the earlier Models S cars with free supercharging. If I did overstay my welcome, how would they charge me idle fees? They do not have a credit card on file for me.
Supercharger Idle Fee

How will I be billed?
We recommend you save a payment method on file in your Tesla Account for automatic, seamless billing. If a payment method is not set up, you will receive alerts on your touchscreen and via email. If outstanding charges accumulate past a set amount, your Supercharger access will be restricted until the outstanding balance is paid. Supercharging can be immediately re-enabled by paying the balance on your car’s touchscreen or in your account.”

I’ve personally never heard of anyone getting cut off, but it appears they reserve the right to do it and wouldn’t be surprised if they did just that in egregious cases

Reactions: Peter Lucas
Hi TGA!

Finally someone asked. It is my nomenclature to describe:

what, on the one hand is what has happened to my car 85S to 85SG (Gated)

and on the other what a differentially suited appellation might be 85SG (Golf Cart)

Thank you very much

FURY

YES, they charged me $8 in November. Excuse was I was at heavy use spot. Last week I was in orange City spot. They throttled me back to 80 percent fill up cause it was HIGH use spot. I was ONLY one there at 7am. They r watching our every super charge. They also have installed software that reports where we r every charge. They have throttled me back so much. Last week I started at 17k.

Reactions: Teacherspet