Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for UK Model 3 LR AWD Owners

If you own a UK Model 3 LR AWD would you buy a Performance if you could choose again

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reason for my question.

I have ordered a Model 3 LR AWD. I did not order a Performance due to concerns about rim and tyre size, and ride comfort.

If I had a Performance I would not want to have to buy another set of wheels to either replace the stock wheels or for use in winter.

I am concerned that I may experience buyer’s regret due to the better speed, acceleration and handling of the Performance.

Fastest car I ever had before this was an Audi Mk1 TT which did 0-60 in 6.4 seconds.

all personal to me (probably very different for others)

prefer the extra range
price doesn't justify the benefits
rim tyre size potential for damage and I find the ride hard enough on 18s
my goal was dual motor + increased battery size over SR+
personally not interested in top end speed / acceleration unless utilising for track days which I wouldn't have the stones to do in a £52k vehicle
got my LR + lots of extra kit used at an incredible deal thanks to a very generous man I can't thank enough £42k with 3.5k miles
interior upgrades (albeit subtle) were important to me in contrast to the SR+ but the performance doesn't offer anything spectacular in this respect

overall I guess I'm after the practicality over performance and imo the m3p distinguishes itself by offering primarily a higher top end + acceleration + performance braking amongst other small differences, none of which I'll utilise in any quantifiable measure for the additional cost, I'd rather sink the money into FSD

I do however think the additional m3p additions are just about worth the extra £5k if you're so inclined to want them for your vehicle. I think they do distinguish the m3p from the LR enough to make them well worthy enough for a completely separate trim level.

Yes.

LRAWD here, ended buying the 20' performance rims + tyres, bough aluminim pedal covers and probably going to get calipers painted. I'm undecided on the buying the spolier at the minute.

Add the cost of all that up and your not far away from the price of a performance model.

• Helpful
Reactions: pharwood
I've yet to receive my LR so unsure how useful my comments are... but..

I'd rather sink the money into FSD

This was pretty much it for me.... I had a budget, and chose to have LR + FSD over the Performance version without FSD.

A decision made slightly easier thanks to the 19" sport wheels re-appearing a few days before my order, which I love the design and look of.

I rarely floor it and abide by speed limits, so whilst the P would have been fun every now and then, for my usage I think I will get much more out of FSD, cant see me regretting it.

• Helpful
if it's about "being fast", any of the models will blow your socks off - electric motor drive is completely different to combustion engine.

the LR AWD is pretty much a sweet spot, rapid yet the highest range capability

the handling will be "better" in some situations in the Performance but then there is a tradeoff on cost and range.

as with a lot of buyers, all of the models will feel a whole world away from any previous cars.

I wouldn't worry about it - unless you plan on spending your whole life doing 0-60, or you want the "cachet" of having some extra bits glued on the outside, bigger brakes etc. The Performance interior is no different like on some other cars where you get the extra feeling of special when you buy the fastest version.

Saying that, if you really want the Performance - go for it! But then you may be asking the opposite question, without reference points it is a bit of an unknown all round.

• Informative
The LR is easily the fastest car I have owned already. if I had a P it would give me nowhere to go in future :).
I drive a lot on rural roads with a lot of pot holes and I don't trust the 20" under those conditions
I like the additional range.
The only thing from the P I might like is the suspension. I like my suspension hard and the LR is a little soft for my taste on A roads ( great on motorway). Not driven a P but the firmer suspension might have suited me.

• Helpful
I originally ordered a LR AWD but was incredibly lucky to be offered the P- so I suppose best of both worlds and do not regret it one bit, I have got a spoiler (waiting for better weather to get it installed) never driven the P so cant compare suspension etc but would I change to P no.

• Helpful

prefer the extra range
personally not interested in top end speed / acceleration unless utilising for track days which I wouldn't have the stones to do in a £52k vehicle

I was going to explain my vote but this covers it perfectly :)

Had I been looking to order now and happy to wait until June, then 100% yes, as the the P is on special offer. The range is similar and it's 1.2s faster. However, at the time I placed my order via NHS FS the P was a lot more expensive than even the LR so it wasn't worth it for me.

Three main factors for me - I don’t like the cosmetic adjustments, don’t think the extra performance justifies the cost and I have to drive down an unmade up road which Is basically all pothole to get to my parking so didn’t want the lower suspension/tyre profile.

I did get FSD instead, but to be honest I wouldn’t do it again. The parking is just awful - hardly ever finds a space and takes forever when it does, summon is kinda fun but a gimmick (smart summon is useless) and while navigate on autopilot is fine I only go on the motorway a couple of times a year. I also suspect that when it actually works properly they’ll move it to a SaaS model pretty quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: speedyranger74

prefer the extra range
got my LR + lots of extra kit used at an incredible deal thanks to a very generous man I can't thank enough £42k with 3.5k miles
interior upgrades (albeit subtle) were important to me in contrast to the SR+ but the performance doesn't offer anything spectacular in this respect

overall I guess I'm after the practicality over performance and imo the m3p distinguishes itself by offering primarily a higher top end + acceleration + performance braking amongst other small differences, none of which I'll utilise in any quantifiable measure for the additional cost, I'd rather sink the money into FSD

I do however think the additional m3p additions are just about worth the extra £5k if you're so inclined to want them for your vehicle. I think they do distinguish the m3p from the LR enough to make them well worthy enough for a completely separate trim level.

Ditto the above.

If 4.4 seconds 0-60 isn't your jam, can just plonk £1.5k and make it 3.8/9.

Performance is a fun drive, but as a daily driver preference went to the build of the LR for comfort (less stiff/18" tyres absorb more of the road).

Not likely going on a track anytime soon and for general braking the regen/magnets will be doing majority of heavy lifting - so on a normal 70mph motorway jaunt the big red 'brakes of doom' don't really come into it.

Your mileage may vary :)

Similar reasoning as everyone for me. If I was just buying the car for me I would have got performance, but I bought it wanting the most comfort (ride and noise levels) for wife and daughter also.

Don't regret decision at all, but would have been cool to catch a stealth.

If they do air suspension on the Model Y, I hope to get a performance Y in the future.

And yes, LR is still brilliantly quick, especially punching it from 40mph. I can imagine the performance being too quick, i.e. I like being able to floor the LR more often. You'll also still be quicker than 99% of cars on road!

• Informative