Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on DRL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my friend drive my car behind me the other day and I noticed that the headlights were entirely off including the LED DRL surrounds on the car. This was in broad daylight with headlights set in Auto, so the main headlights are indeed supposed to be off and they were. But arent the DRL LED eyebrows or whatever supposed to be ON always?

They only seem to come on when the actual headlights turn on during lower light situations, in broad daylight, the entire headlight unit is off. I can swear this was not the behavior before the 8.1 update but maybe I am mistaken

Has anyone noticed this, and know if its a change in behavior or the way it has always been, currently I dont seem to have a way to turning ON the LED surround lights by itself while driving. Granted its not easy to verify, but any insights?

2016 MS60 with 8.1

Ah, I had been looking for a way to keep the lights off while the car is on. Not when I am driving, but when I am parked and just want to run the AC and take a nap inside. I wish there is a mode where I can go dark, not auto power off, even when there is no weight on the front seat as I am napping in the folded down back seats.

Ah, I had been looking for a way to keep the lights off while the car is on. Not when I am driving, but when I am parked and just want to run the AC and take a nap inside. I wish there is a mode where I can go dark, not auto power off, even when there is no weight on the front seat as I am napping in the folded down back seats.
Just shut off your lights and DRL's from the big screen (Controls). I've done it when napping. You can also hit "Car Power Off" if you want the entire car to shut off including all screens.

Reactions: boaterva
I can't seem to turn off all light while keeping climate control on. Here is my ideal sleeping in car setup...

Climate control on
Car in park
No external lights
No internal lights as much as possible (screen in clean mode)
Doors locked
Climate doesn't auto power off

Anyone know how to do that?

I can't seem to turn off all light while keeping climate control on. Here is my ideal sleeping in car setup...

Climate control on
Car in park
No external lights
No internal lights as much as possible (screen in clean mode)
Doors locked
Climate doesn't auto power off

Anyone know how to do that?

I believe some apps can do that. Tesla itself has not made an effort to allow users to config fully. I'm still waiting on the ability to turn on heat seaters from their app (or anyone's).

Reactions: JohnnyG
Here's a camper mode thread, which is what you want, I believe... I think you need an app (Remote S, for example); does the Tesla one have this functionality? (Can't play with these without a car, :( )

Camper Mode Question
Thanks, that's exactly the type of function that I am looking for. Now if they built it into the car as an official mode, it would be a great bonus feature.

Interesting... the manuals don't even agree, from what I see. No mention of lights in the S 8.0 manual (last I see produced on 'paper'), and the X manual says this, with the mention of 'signature lighting'. That's not in the same blurb in the S manual. Bug or feature?

upload_2017-5-6_16-0-10.png

For some reason the refresh cars use the LED bulbs in the centre of the light housing rather than the bezel surrounds, (which I believe are actually CFL and not LED), for DRL. Anyone know why they would have changed that?

FYI my car is Canadian spec so DRL are always active, can't turn them off.

For what it's worth, on my 2015 AP1 car with 8.1 range mode doesn't cause my DRL's to turn off. There is an option to turn them on or off on my controls screen, though.
Yeah, that's normal for pre-facelift Model S vehicles. They still have the button for DRL on/off (in the US at least)

After they facelifted the Model S with the LED headlights and new style DRLs, they removed the DRL on/off button in the controls screen and instead have it linked to range mode for some odd reason. Model X has it this way as well.

The quickest way I have found to turn off the exterior lights when I am parked and waiting in the car is to open and close the charge port. Fewer navigation steps on the screen to do it that way vs. turning the lights off and on again.
Great tip! To further expand on this, for those that don't know; opening the charge port door turns the car off. That's why all exterior lights become extinguished.