TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question on TPMS

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by kwang, Dec 26, 2015.

1. kwang

kwang Member

Hello, need help from more experience members here. I'm a noob and just pickup a new 90D. Will be taking a used after market wheel from a friend and was told the pressure sensors are compatible with 1st generation car.

Did Tesla change the sensors through different generations of Model S? Would the existing wheel TPMS work on the current 90D?

Thank you for your feedback!

2. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

this is true, newer Tesla's will not read the older sensors.....

3. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

You're informed correctly about the TPMS sensor incompatibility. If the sensors are 1st generation, they will not work correctly on your new car. The car requires 2nd generation sensors.
    You need to get a set of 2nd generation sensors mounted, either after market or OEM Tesla Motors. These days there's hardly a price difference.
    Maybe you can recoup a little money on the used sensors.

4. kwang

kwang Member

Thank you all so much for your insights, really appreciate it!

5. Cowby

Cowby Member

i believe the new ones are 433Mhz

6. green1

green1 Active Member

Tesla charges $50 cad per sensor here, suspect it would be less in the us based on exchange rate. That's why I didn't buy the tire track ones with my wheels at the time, and despite the warning on the tire rack site, the Tesla tpms sensors worked fine with the rial wheels

7. Cowby

Cowby Member

nope....they charged me $50/piece as well....shoulda had my sister buy some and bring it down for me....woulda been buy 3 get 1 free at this exchange rate! lol