Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, need help from more experience members here. I'm a noob and just pickup a new 90D. Will be taking a used after market wheel from a friend and was told the pressure sensors are compatible with 1st generation car.

Did Tesla change the sensors through different generations of Model S? Would the existing wheel TPMS work on the current 90D?

Thank you for your feedback!

You're informed correctly about the TPMS sensor incompatibility. If the sensors are 1st generation, they will not work correctly on your new car. The car requires 2nd generation sensors.
You need to get a set of 2nd generation sensors mounted, either after market or OEM Tesla Motors. These days there's hardly a price difference.
Maybe you can recoup a little money on the used sensors.

Tesla charges $50 cad per sensor here, suspect it would be less in the us based on exchange rate. That's why I didn't buy the tire track ones with my wheels at the time, and despite the warning on the tire rack site, the Tesla tpms sensors worked fine with the rial wheels

Tesla charges $50 cad per sensor here, suspect it would be less in the us based on exchange rate. That's why I didn't buy the tire track ones with my wheels at the time, and despite the warning on the tire rack site, the Tesla tpms sensors worked fine with the rial wheels

nope....they charged me $50/piece as well....shoulda had my sister buy some and bring it down for me....woulda been buy 3 get 1 free at this exchange rate! lol