Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions About Hansshow Android 4G 10.25-inch Tesla Model 3 Y Instrument Cluster Heads Up Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for creating this thread. I've ordered the new 10.25" unit with front camera etc. As I understand it, the 4G lead isn't used if you're always using your phone as a hotspot and not using a dedicated SIM card for the Hansshow unit. Similarly, the GPS antenna would only be needed if your phone isn't being used for GPS. I will likely install both leads, but will not be too concerned about receptivity since my phone is always with me in the car. Based on the screen measurements provided by others, I can see that the screen visibility will be compromised by my factory steering wheel since I like it to be quite low for my comfort. I've ordered a yoke wheel to make the screen more accessible. Looking forward to comments posted to this thread as I wait for my unit to be delivered.
BTW, it seems "heads up display" is a little misleading for this product, but seems to have been adopted by most vendors.

Finally got mine working (make sure you don't accidentally yank out another plug while removing the OBD one. I don't know about anyone else but I have a ton of cuts on my hands from working on it.
Only issue I have so far is the carplay pairing when getting in the car, sometimes it pairs but isn't really working. Shows carplay connected on the phone but my location doesn't update and music refuses to play on the screen. Also the Tesla doesn't automatically connect to bluetooth even as a priority device.
Otherwise it's a cool little gadget. I like having the GPS on this screen and the cameras up on the main screen.

I just received mine today but don't know which is the best installation video available on Youtube. Any suggestions to try to have the easiest installation process possible?
Seems like all the videos for install have been with the Intel LR Y. I have a Intel performance and was surprised I had to run through the firewall for power (it was in the instructions). All the videos make it seem like it's straight plug and play. Best thing to do is just search for videos on running through the firewall. There's a blue gasket in the frunk you can use to fish wires through.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Seems like all the videos for install have been with the Intel LR Y. I have a Intel performance and was surprised I had to run through the firewall for power (it was in the instructions). All the videos make it seem like it's straight plug and play. Best thing to do is just search for videos on running through the firewall. There's a blue gasket in the frunk you can use to fish wires through.
I've watched many videos too and have come to the conclusion that Hansshow had made it very confusing by not clearly differentiating various versions of their products. On top of that, they apparently don't clearly describe installation differences between various models of car and different processors. In addition, it seems that most of their install instructions are unclear or ambiguous in some important steps. On top of that, I expect there have been modifications to some of their products that a given YouTube video may have covered. I figure when mine arrives I'll figure out what has to be done to install it.

Installed today. Data plug in my model Y made in Texas is located in the right A pillar as an Open plus (nothing was connected to it).

To pass the power cables to the 12 V battery did it through the rubber plus in the photo bellow (quite easyJet actually).
20221204_120142.jpg
20221204_120136.jpg
20221204_120142.jpg
20221204_120136.jpg
20221204_120220.jpg

Reactions: pookguy
Installed today. Data plug in my model Y made in Texas is located in the right A pillar as an Open plus (nothing was connected to it).

To pass the power cables to the 12 V battery did it through the rubber plus in the photo bellow (quite easyJet actually).View attachment 881490View attachment 881491View attachment 881490View attachment 881491View attachment 881492

My problem now is to configure the unit for Android Auto. Can't make the music/audio to play. And the instructions from Hansshow are not updated and don't work for the unit received.
My unit arrived yesterday. I have mounted it to the dash panel and today I will install everything in the car and make all the connections. Did you run the ground wire into the frunk or was there a grounding point in the lower A pillar area near the data plug? (I have Ryzen and li-ion battery). As expected, the install instructions are terrible, and there was no operating manual included in the box. Taking the best parts of numerous YouTube videos seems to work best for me. I expect the biggest challenge to be setting it up and doing all the correct pairing to make things operate reasonably seamlessly (for Apple carplay in my case).

I'm ready to complete my installation today. Question re Ryzen cars like mine: since the main connector gets inserted into the empty blue one in the A-pillar, and nothing needs to be unplugged from the back of the processor like in Atom vehicles, it appears that there is no need to disconnect the 12v battery or the large connector under the rear seat of the M3. The Hansshow "instructions" don't mention it either. Can anyone confirm?

I finished my install today. I did disconnect all battery power and turned off the screen before connecting the A-pillar connector and the power lead to the li-ion battery. BTW, there is a grounding lug at the top right of the passenger floor-board/carpet. My kit had a shorter ground wire that reached this point fine but wouldn't have reached into the frunk area. (I ordered the Ryzen version of the kit). Similarly, the red power lead was too short to route out through the fender area and back into the frunk. By using the convenient round rubber grommets (inner and outer) in the firewall the red wire was able to reach the Li-ion battery. The display fired up fine upon reconnecting battery power. As I had lately realized, there are subtle changes in these kits as time goes on, so be careful following YT videos that are usually based on a previous version that may be different than a newer one. And there are differences between connecting to a Li-ion battery in a Model 3 than in a Model Y. Hansshow supplies a 10mm nut for securing the power wire to the battery post, but the M3 doesn't have a threaded post. I drilled a small hole near the bottom of the post and inserted a 6/32 screw and nut to fasten the power leads for my Hansshow display and my Hansshow power frunk. See image below. This allows the red cover sleeve to be placed back over the post.

I am having some issues pairing my phone to it and learning my way around all the menus. So far I see my Carplay icons and can select a podcast, but get no sound from anywhere yet.

While I was able to select english for all the displays, the voice assistant only talks Chinese and I haven't yet found a way to change that, assuming it is possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am very impressed with the front camera image.
Post1.jpg

Reactions: pookguy
After a few more hours of YT videos and time in the car going through the settings, I finally got everything paired. I thought it was my phone that wasn't paired, because the BT that you are told to use for pairing it only gets used temporarily until I think the unit establishes another type of connection with the phone and the initial BT then disconnects. Then I found that the car system wasn't paired, which I thought I had done successfully yesterday. Once paired, the carplay audio played through the car speakers.

BTW, the two things I'd like to see added to the firmware are: 1. a way to adjust the display brightness independent of the Tesla screen. The earlier 9" version provided this adjustable brightness feature. 2. instead of showing if the car is using or adding power, show the specific power consumption - ideally instant as well as average for current trip. Even better, also show the car's lifetime average power use (in wh/mi).

Reasons:
1. I find the display a bit too bright for my taste (even in permanent night mode) and to adjust it down enough I have to take the Tesla screen to minimum brightness level, which is a little too low for that display.
2. The gauge showing power consumption/generation may be briefly interesting, but it is really of no value. Consumption rate info would be more valuable by allowing you to see if your power use is higher than normal for you.

After a few more hours of YT videos and time in the car going through the settings, I finally got everything paired. I thought it was my phone that wasn't paired, because the BT that you are told to use for pairing it only gets used temporarily until I think the unit establishes another type of connection with the phone and the initial BT then disconnects. Then I found that the car system wasn't paired, which I thought I had done successfully yesterday. Once paired, the carplay audio played through the car speakers.

BTW, the two things I'd like to see added to the firmware are: 1. a way to adjust the display brightness independent of the Tesla screen. The earlier 9" version provided this adjustable brightness feature. 2. instead of showing if the car is using or adding power, show the specific power consumption - ideally instant as well as average for current trip. Even better, also show the car's lifetime average power use (in wh/mi).

Reasons:
1. I find the display a bit too bright for my taste (even in permanent night mode) and to adjust it down enough I have to take the Tesla screen to minimum brightness level, which is a little too low for that display.
2. The gauge showing power consumption/generation may be briefly interesting, but it is really of no value. Consumption rate info would be more valuable by allowing you to see if your power use is higher than normal for you.

I agree, the display is way too bright at night it's distracting. I couldn't find a way to adjust it either, which is kinda lame.
I don't even use that screen since it's not of much use. I like have Maps up and then having the cameras on screen. In an ideal world it would be amazing to have all the camera views in front of me.

I agree, the display is way too bright at night it's distracting. I couldn't find a way to adjust it either, which is kinda lame.
I don't even use that screen since it's not of much use. I like have Maps up and then having the cameras on screen. In an ideal world it would be amazing to have all the camera views in front of me.
I have a roll of Vvivid light smoke headlight tint film that I never used. I tried a temporary piece of it on my Hansshow screen and it does cut the brightness by a suitable amount I think, so I'll go ahead and install a correctly sized piece of film. BTW, at the bottom of page 4 of the Hansshow "Installation manual" that I received in my package last week, it says "The linkage and brightness between the home screen and the steering wheel screen automatically follow the home screen". That is why there is no brightness control setting on the Hansshow setup menu now.

I have a roll of Vvivid light smoke headlight tint film that I never used. I tried a temporary piece of it on my Hansshow screen and it does cut the brightness by a suitable amount I think, so I'll go ahead and install a correctly sized piece of film. BTW, at the bottom of page 4 of the Hansshow "Installation manual" that I received in my package last week, it says "The linkage and brightness between the home screen and the steering wheel screen automatically follow the home screen". That is why there is no brightness control setting on the Hansshow setup menu now.
On my 9” linux hansshow, if I drag finger from top left of screen to bottom left of screen (straight down) I think it lowered brightness Or perhaps it was righ side. I do not believe this functionality was mentioned in my manual. Worth a try.