Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions About the Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have the LR AWD version, but I just added T Sportline springs(1 inch drop), bought OEM perf brakes in red, upgraded wheels to 20 inch but lighter than stock performance wheels.

So other that software)meaning no 0-60 in 3.5 secs), is there anything else I will be missing?. Just a curiosity thing I am not trying to completely emulate the perf model.

Lastly, any chance Elon allows us to buy software in future so we can get the perf acceleration???

Just curious as to why you didn't buy the real performance 3 in the beginning rather than now trying to do it all yourself and now wondering if you'll get a chance to buy the software update.

Also, last I heard, he won't because the motor are different since they're binned and put on more rigorous testing for the actual P3

Reactions: Alketi
Just curious as to why you didn't buy the real performance 3 in the beginning rather than now trying to do it all yourself and now wondering if you'll get a chance to buy the software update.

Also, last I heard, he won't because the motor are different since they're binned and put on more rigorous testing for the actual P3

Last you heard was over a year ago. :)

Tesla has radio silence yet on if they are still doing that.

Common sense reasoning dictates now that they should all be the same and controlled entirely through software.

Mass production and differentiation are contradictory objectives.

I wanted the P3D- but settled for 3D because I thought 11k was too much for software. They ended up giving $5k back to those who bought into the P3D-. Had I known that would happen I would be a second faster. If they offered an upgrade for 6k I would take it.
I'm curious is there will be people who could hack the software after the warranty is up to uncork it.

Reactions: JBT66
So I have the LR AWD version, but I just added T Sportline springs(1 inch drop), bought OEM perf brakes in red, upgraded wheels to 20 inch but lighter than stock performance wheels.

So other that software)meaning no 0-60 in 3.5 secs), is there anything else I will be missing?. Just a curiosity thing I am not trying to completely emulate the perf model.

Lastly, any chance Elon allows us to buy software in future so we can get the perf acceleration???
No, otherwise there would be no market for the P.

If you want top performance, car manufacturers demand that you pay for performance.

I strongly doubt there will be an offering from Tesla to unlock, and a hack would bring its own problems with OTA updates. But hey, I didn’t think they would give Track Mode to P3D- so what do I know?

By the way, 0-60 is 3.2 seconds - not 3.5s. Just saying.

Reactions: astrowunder
1. Long story but I bought my car cause I got a great great deal on it.. like 7k off of msrp... there were no good deals a month ago on perf m3’s... other reason was cause I have deposit down for model Y perf so I was only going to drive this car for 2 years

2. Had my salesman look for perf model 2 weeks after I bought car but no decent deals so decided I was going to keep this one and mod it since I do love this car and now I’m going to let my wife take my model Y order

3. Bought oem perf front brakes on eBay for 1500 with 2k miles on it... full perf brakes on eBay new right now for 3k right now

at least one of the sway bars (I think the front?) is slightly larger on the P, but I mean very slightly

No, otherwise there would be no market for the P.

If you want top performance, car manufacturers demand that you pay for performance.

If they sold a P software unlock to AWD owners for $6000 then they WOULD be paying for it.

They would, in fact, be paying literally exactly the net extra amount P3D- owners paid over a new AWD model 3 at the time the P3D- was available.

And the P3D+ would still have cachet above that to those who put any value on the 20" wheels, red brakes, and 0.39" lower suspension

So nobody answered my question .. other than software , it’s just springs, brakes and wheels right ??... I heard the motors were the same on perf and non perf cars

Depending on when the car was made, i believe some other parts in the suspension are different (i.e some of the rear links). Also the motor and inverter might be different/cream of the crop, but we really don't know for sure.

You have no spoiler so you're already emulating most other Performance 3's. Only other things from the top of my head are different pedals and the performance avatar.

If you really want to pose as a P3, make sure to SuperCharger with your windows rolled up with music blasting or talking loudly on the phone so everyone can still hear you.

You have no spoiler so you're already emulating most other Performance 3's. Only other things from the top of my head are different pedals and the performance avatar.

If you really want to pose as a P3, make sure to SuperCharger with your windows rolled up with music blasting or talking loudly on the phone so everyone can still hear you.

Haha...so you're that guy!...:)...,too old to pose...considering Ive had 6 M3/4's, S4, Carrera 4S, Lotus Elise...dont need to pose, but I do like performance and handling...wheels and tires I got will look better and be lighter hence less unsprung weight...springs will reduce body roll..the non-performance brakes on this car is pretty bad so for safety need better brakes.

Sure Id love to have 0-60 of 3.5 sec, but thats not too critical as my car is plenty fast(certainly feels faster than it prob is).

so serious question for everyone, are there any decent options for rear brakes???...hard to find only OEM rear performance brakes online ...any decent after mkt options other than standard Brembo or Stoptech which prob cost 2500???...anyone know the cost of rear perf brakes if you order from Tesla parts???

Also the motor and inverter might be different/cream of the crop, but we really don't know for sure.

I mean, we do though, because they have the same part numbers regardless of the car being AWD, P, or RWD.

(this may not continue to be true in the future- but it has been true up to basically now (minus one report from March 2019 of a single european car with a different PN motor for which no pics were ever provided)

Upgrading your brakes isn't really going to change the safety of the car, it's just going to prevent them from overheating as quickly if you're on a race track.

Normally I'd agree with you 100% as previous M3's and S4's didn't stop any faster with BBK's but they help a lot with brake fade...but on this car I am wondering if it actually will, cause the OEM non-P brakes dont seem very responsive and not a lot of bite with even modest pedal pressure...wondering if its the weight of the car or inherent in the brakes itself...I will report back after I put on my perf front brakes and see if I notice any difference.