Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions; New to Tesla and just took delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just took delivery of my new Model X and so far I'm pretty let down by my experience. I'm not sure if these are common or if this is typical so I thought I'd ask here first. I'll start with the running issue log;
  • Rear trunk doesn't close flush with the rear fender, it's raised about 1/8th and almost looks open. The dealer said get a remote appointment to fix.
  • Panels not aligned all over. Some are barely noticeable, others are much worse. Dealer states they are within tolerances but they look sloppy, especially on a 90k vehicle.
  • Paint issues in 2 places. Dealer says mobile tech
  • Falcon wing door doesn't close consistently. Dealer says mobile tech
  • Drivers side door window goes up super slow.
  • Drivers side window wouldn't close all the way till my wife tried 10 times. Only happened once so far.
  • Passenger door opened and smacked a beam in my garage. Previously it was fine but this one time it's not. It's not a huge deal since we have padding on the beam but the inconsistency is concerning when the door swings open automatically.
All of these issues seem easily fixable but what frustrates me the most is my earliest appointment isn't until the 17th and I took delivery on the 31st. I have a 7 day window to return and nothing will be fixed or even looked at till well after. I don't expect the need to return but I like having options with all of these little issues.

My question for the group of owners; Are these issues common on receipt of new and is this something I should be worried about? I've never had this many issues with a car day 1 and it makes me think lemon and run but then I think it's a Tesla, smaller volume, less QA probably, etc.

Gaps: typical; other items: random and uncommon. Worry level: minimal but might take a paint shop visit if bad. Mobile service can take care of just about everything that does not need to go up on a lift so all these things can be fixed in your garage except the panel gaps and maybe the paint issues. If you return it there is no guarantee the next one won't have a different set of panel gaps but if the appearance will ruin the experience then do not keep it. Sometimes trim alignment makes gaps look worse but trim can be moved so maybe some issues can be improved even if they are not going to be perfect.
How is the ride?.

Rear trunk doesn't close flush with the rear fender, it's raised about 1/8th and almost looks open. The dealer said get a remote appointment to fix.
This one might be an easy fix you can do yourself. On the bottom lower corners of the car where the trunk is you will find two plastic stands. First make sure they are twisted all the way down tight.

Then look on the trunk lid where it touches these stands when it closes and you will find two rubber "studs" or bumpers. You can twist these by hand and make them go in/out of the trunk. Try twisting in or out as needed to bring your trunk up or down when closed.

In severe cases I have seen where you need to shim the plastic stands with washers but that is unusual. Make sure you do a little bit at a time and check both sides as you go.

While thse issues are minor, they point to the car being assembled with a little less care maybe than the next. When I took delivery of my X I went over it with a checklist and it was almost spotless. I still had smaller issues develop over time, but at least I started out with a well assembled product. I would return it for another car even if you have to wait a little to get it. This is not a good sign to start your Tesla joy with!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I'm really on the fence since I only have 2 days left before the 7 day window. Most seem like easy fixes but when looking at fit and finish with panel alignment, is it typical that Tesla aren't the best when it comes to this? I was surprised when the tech at delivery said "oh this is in within spec since we measure it". It made it seem like he regularly hears this and based off past forum posts it seems fairly common. I don't want to be too harsh but I'd say there's about 4-5 spots where the panel gaps are inconsistent or lines from door to door panel aren't even.

If I return this one, will I just be getting another with panel alignment issues?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I'm really on the fence since I only have 2 days left before the 7 day window. Most seem like easy fixes but when looking at fit and finish with panel alignment, is it typical that Tesla aren't the best when it comes to this? I was surprised when the tech at delivery said "oh this is in within spec since we measure it". It made it seem like he regularly hears this and based off past forum posts it seems fairly common. I don't want to be too harsh but I'd say there's about 4-5 spots where the panel gaps are inconsistent or lines from door to door panel aren't even.

If I return this one, will I just be getting another with panel alignment issues?

Tesla should be able to fix most of these issues except the alignment. You will likely not have the trim/panels align perfectly (especially the FWDs). If you are not comfortable with this, then you should return the car.

Yes. Trim/door alignment issues are common.

Tesla service centers have become the masters of re-aligning body panels. Probably the common first service requests. The panels have some adjustability, and it is usually enough to get a better alignment. Biggest problem is with customers that want perfection in body panels. Usually not going to happen.

My new Raven has the same slow opening drivers side window. I mentioned this in a follow up call from Tesla. Was told it is a known issue, and usually fixes itself.

Door sensors usually prevent them from hitting beams and things. There is a display button that allows you to set to open fully at that location. Make sure someone has not pressed that setting.

Sounds like your issues are easily repairable, and should not be cause to cancel your order. Unusual to see so many items on a new car, but they sound like easy fixes.

My new Raven is much better put together than was my previous 2017.

Love the new smooth suspension.

Reactions: VikH
Hi,

I just took delivery of my new Model X and so far I'm pretty let down by my experience. I'm not sure if these are common or if this is typical so I thought I'd ask here first. I'll start with the running issue log;
  • Rear trunk doesn't close flush with the rear fender, it's raised about 1/8th and almost looks open. The dealer said get a remote appointment to fix.
  • Panels not aligned all over. Some are barely noticeable, others are much worse. Dealer states they are within tolerances but they look sloppy, especially on a 90k vehicle.
  • Paint issues in 2 places. Dealer says mobile tech
  • Falcon wing door doesn't close consistently. Dealer says mobile tech
  • Drivers side door window goes up super slow.
  • Drivers side window wouldn't close all the way till my wife tried 10 times. Only happened once so far.
  • Passenger door opened and smacked a beam in my garage. Previously it was fine but this one time it's not. It's not a huge deal since we have padding on the beam but the inconsistency is concerning when the door swings open automatically.
All of these issues seem easily fixable but what frustrates me the most is my earliest appointment isn't until the 17th and I took delivery on the 31st. I have a 7 day window to return and nothing will be fixed or even looked at till well after. I don't expect the need to return but I like having options with all of these little issues.

My question for the group of owners; Are these issues common on receipt of new and is this something I should be worried about? I've never had this many issues with a car day 1 and it makes me think lemon and run but then I think it's a Tesla, smaller volume, less QA probably, etc.

You have 7 days to return it. RETURN it, you will thank yourself and this forum later.

You can search my old posts here about build quality issues for lessons learned!

Reactions: rjdoc74
If we are on good notes, you could also post pictures of your Scud :)
Good eye!
h49UFoi.jpg

Reactions: VikH
I have had my new Model S for less than 3 weeks and it is already going back to Service for the 2nd time around. I was about to have a ceramic coating applied when they guy noticed an area near the rear hatch where there had been a piece of tape or something when they applied the clear coat because that area is missing it. I had to go back to the delivery center and get a Due Bill from them before service would address as a warranty issue (which they are going to do).

Prior to that I had taken back a week after getting because on of the vents was not blowing air and while taking care of that I had them realign the rear hatch as it was not aligned to the rear panels and I had some trim already coming off.

I love my car but the eye to the details on these are not what you would expect. You can return the car but expect your replacement car to have issues as well. That is my 2 cents.

I would return it. We have lots of issues with ours, have trim issues, noise, panel gaps, we bring it to SC and they break other items fixing it from day 1, got mine on Sept 18. Love the car, nothing in the market could compare. SC techs fix misalign trim by cutting, filing and using hot glue to fix misalign trims, I have nothing but issues with them. They need better trained techs, it might be they are too busy and over worked to care. Service is 2-3 weeks out minimum and parts are over 1 month on very common parts. currently filed lemon law with lawyer..