Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick tip: a simple voice command to find places near you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And to complete the story, here's an excerpt from page 41 of the Model X manual.
<quote>
To search for, or navigate to, a location,
say “Where is,” “Drive,” or “Navigate,”
followed by an address, business name,
business category, or landmark. For
example, “Drive to Tesla in Palo Alto,”
“Drive to Starbucks on Homestead in
Cupertino,” or “Where is Stanford
University?” If you have defined a
navigation address for your home or work
locations, you can use a voice command
to "Navigate home" or "Navigate to work."
• To listen to an Internet music service, say
“Listen to,” or “Play,” followed by the
name of the song, album, artist or
combination. To improve voice recognition
accuracy, provide multiple cues in your
command, such as artist plus song (for
example, “Play Yellow Brick Road by Elton
John” or “Listen to Yellow Brick Road”).
</quote>

I would think anyone paying *this* much for one of these cars would RTFM. Especially with the PDF version, that took me 30 seconds to find (index: voice commands).

I would really hate to think what the whole manual would look like as a video... :) Having said that, some of the Tesla videos are informative, but only as a quickie intro to Tesla(s).

I would think anyone paying *this* much for one of these cars would RTFM. Especially with the PDF version, that took me 30 seconds to find (index: voice commands)..

I did not RTFM. I also did not read any manual to learn how to talk to Siri. I also have Amazon Echo and did not read a manual on how to talk to Alexa.

The truth is that Tesla is behind on speech recognition and the voice recognition capabilities are modest at best. So I welcome tips, even those that could be found in the manual.

But that's ok since Tesla still builds the best cars which is why I have two of them.

Tesla owners deserve better cuisine.

For years I have pressed the speech button and say: "Where is fine dining".

Works like a charm to discover some of the best locations to feast in style.

(The results can be different using Google Maps with your computer browser at home. Try "fine dining" instead of "where is fine dining" when typing in your Google Maps search field.)

Note: Denny's may appear in the list, but remember that after midnight, it may be the only one listed that is open.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
Some people have a visual learning style. It's easier for many people to be shown how to do something, than to read text about it.

I think a series of short quick-tip videos is a great idea. Sure, he plugs his channel at the end, but as far as I can tell, I haven't been charged anything for watching.

Elon managed to explain this in 24 words.
Elon Musk on Twitter
Yeah, only because it's hard to operate both a video camera and a record player at the same time after wine and ambien.
fZFGVR8.png

The way this was posted, I regard this as click bait. Based on the title of the thread, it's reasonable to think the quick tip would be in the first post of the thread, but instead, it's a link to a video. By all means, link to the video, but if it's really a quick tip, provide the tip in text, as well. (If that means nobody will click on your link, perhaps you aren't producing compelling content.)