Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quietest and best riding 22" tire for 2018 MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 MX here. Managed to squeeze 36K miles out of the original Pirelli Scorpion tires. But the tread depth is nearing the wear bars so I am starting to research my next set of tires.

I've been reading this forum (and others) and the opinions on tires are overwhelming and often contradictory.

There are only 2 things I'm concerned with: Ride quality and noise. I couldn't care less about performance. I only drive the car in the SF Bay Area and on the coast so no need to consider rain or snow capabilities.

Some background: I find my Tesla MX to be extremely noisy on the highway (California 101, 80, and 5) - especially on concrete sections or where the asphalt has significant wear. The interior noise at 75MPH can be deafening. I've even installed additional weather stripping, filled my A-pillars with foam, and purchased $300 super thick floormats to try and reduce the sound. It's ridiculous that Tesla cut so many corners on sound dampening in their cars but, whatevs.

I also find the ride to be a bit on the harsh side. I keep my Pirellis at 42psi.

So, all that said, can someone recommend the quietest, softest riding tires for my 2018 MX with 22" wheels? Money no object. Thanks for any help here.

Last edited:
2018 MX here. Managed to squeeze 36K miles out of the original Pirelli Scorpion tires. But the tread depth is nearing the wear bars so I am starting to research my next set of tires.

I've been reading this forum (and others) and the opinions on tires are overwhelming and often contradictory.

There are only 2 things I'm concerned with: Ride quality and noise. I couldn't care less about performance. I only drive the car in the SF Bay Area and on the coast so no need to consider rain or snow capabilities.

Some background: I find my Tesla MX to be extremely noisy on the highway (California 101, 80, and 5) - especially on concrete sections or where the asphalt has significant wear. The interior noise at 75MPH can be deafening. I've even installed additional weather stripping, filled my A-pillars with foam, and purchased $300 super thick floormats to try and reduce the sound. It's ridiculous that Tesla cut so many corners on sound dampening in their cars but, whatevs.

I also find the ride to be a bit on the harsh side. I keep my Pirellis at 42psi.

So, all that said, can someone recommend the quietest, softest riding tires for my 2018 MX with 22" wheels? Money no object. Thanks for any help here.
I second all your observations and I will look forward to the suggestions from our fellow members

Reactions: markinsf
The best tires for this problem don't seem to fit on 22" rims. But I understand not wanting to buy the 20's, especially if you're accustomed to the dark wheel look it's hard to find Sonic Carbon 20's. Although SF is probably the most used-tesla--parts-saturated market in the world...

For me, the main noise problem the car has was/is an air leak at the vertical window trim/seal near the front driver's mirror. I managed to wedge something ebtween the door card and the seal to tighten it up and it really made a huge difference in noise. It really was infuriatingly loud in windy conditions or on grooved concrete before that, so I feel your pain. I seem to have finally really killed the problem because I can drive next to tractor/trailers etc. now and there's not a huge uptick in cabin noise. See if you can work that angle, push on stuff near the window seals and see if you can improve it by pushing in one particular spot or another while on the highway, because the 22" equipped cars I've driven weren't appreciably louder inside, the ride was just worse and the turn-in was sharper

Last edited:
Thanks all, for your replies. I researched the options and there really weren't that many. The thought of blowing $2K on tires for a car that I hope to rid myself of by the end of the year (lowest quality car I've ever owned in my life excepting the 70s and 80s American-made beaters I had when I was a kid), is not very appealing.

I went with KUMHO CRUGEN HP71 XL from Tire Rack. They were $1K all in. Apparently, they are a South Korean tire company founded in 1960. They have a 65K mile warranty on them. Had them mounted at my local Big O for $100. So far, they have a softer ride than the Scorpions. Though, as new tires with a lot more tread than the spent Pirelli tires, that is to be expected. Road noise seems to be less though I will be taking a road trip down to SoCal soon. So that will be the real test.

As I have the new tires on, I decided to detail my car over the weekend, and, as to be expected, several pieces of weather stripping were just hanging off the doors. What a crap quality car. I suppose I'll have to fetch some adhesive and reattach the stripping before it falls off completely. While I was at it I applied some Gummi Pflege to the gull wing door weather stripping before it deteriorates (again - this is the 2nd set). I noticed as I applied Gummi to all the weather stripping, that the plastic panels and fasteners were lose and rattled. No wonder my car creeks and rattles like a 1984 Oldsmobile instead of a $130K luxury car.

Now, I just have to see about getting the half shafts replaced (again) as I can sense a slight shudder. Is there a class action suit yet? All these problems and just 37K miles on the car. Tesla - never again!

For me, the main noise problem the car has was/is an air leak at the vertical window trim/seal near the front driver's mirror. I managed to wedge something ebtween the door card and the seal to tighten it up and it really made a huge difference in noise. It really was infuriatingly loud in windy conditions or on grooved concrete before that, so I feel your pain. I seem to have finally really killed the problem because I can drive next to tractor/trailers etc. now and there's not a huge uptick in cabin noise. See if you can work that angle, push on stuff near the window seals and see if you can improve it by pushing in one particular spot or another while on the highway, because the 22" equipped cars I've driven weren't appreciably louder inside, the ride was just worse and the turn-in was sharper
Thanks. I will have to check it out. So far I've adjusted my rear hatch, filled the A pillars with expandable foam, and purchased $300 thick floor mats. These actions didn't seem to make any noticeable improvements.

I have a 2019 MX. sound insulation is better than my BMW X3. 2018’s had isies that were taken care of in 2019. But still I have those horrible door rubber gaskets that are hanging loose.
Still the car manages to stay quiet.
On tires, I have a non acoustic Chinese brand tire which was out by the dealer called Triangle. Not bad at all and offers great steering response.
Anyway I would replace it soon with a Michelin or pirelli acoustic tire. Leaning towards Michelin.
My favorite brand of tire is Bridgestone but sadly they don’t have the 22” MX size. hands down I would have gone for the Japanese Bridgestones.
I have had Congo’s, Pirelli’s, Michelins but Bridgestone and contental DWS 06 stand out to me.

The best tires for this problem don't seem to fit on 22" rims. But I understand not wanting to buy the 20's, especially if you're accustomed to the dark wheel look it's hard to find Sonic Carbon 20's. Although SF is probably the most used-tesla--parts-saturated market in the world...

I stopped lurking and registered for an account just so I could say thank you for this post. The noise from the driver-side door was driving me crazy! While picking up lunch this afternoon I pressed on the vertical piece near the front of the door window (based on your post) and as long as I pushed the noise stopped. I'll run to Home Depot this weekend to get something I can wedge in there. I traded in my M3LR for a used MX and the squeaks, rattles and wind noise on every single one I test drove was so much worse than my M3, but I still do love it (especially for the air suspension)...the suspension in my M3 was rattling the fillings out of my teeth.

Reactions: Richbot

can you please take a pic where exactly? I'm having that issue too

IMG_6829.jpeg

Reactions: Loco_Nomad