Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quikr Mach 2 hitch rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Watts_Up - Thanks so much for your detailed post with photos and instructions, it should be really helpful to other owners.

Unfortunately I have a Model Y so my trailer light plug is almost inaccessible with the bike rack installed (as per a previous post showed in their photo) and I'm not skilled enough to DIY modify a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter to make it shorter to fit.

I did notice that you used a standard U-lock and it fit inside the rack arm holes, that's a great idea that I may try along with a cable lock to secure my bikes.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Ever so slightly off topic, I have the Rockymounts Guiderail and it's much like the 1UP. It's a nice fit on my Y and secures the bikes very well. The integrated chain lock is pretty useful too. No affiliation but it was available to order for me in Canada for those looking for this style of rack. Quickr doesn't ship to my area, and 1UP will ship but it's costly. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_4881.jpeg
    IMG_4881.jpeg
    875.6 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Watts_Up
Nice bike rack. What I noticed is that you cannot install separately a single rail

View attachment 960147

Also I don't think you can fold the rails, so it would not be easy to store it into your trunk.

View attachment 960148
You're totally right. It doesn't fold to fit in the trunk and it comes as a double with the option of adding a third rail. It does all the other good stuff though, plus the integrated lock.

...A few tips for new owners - adjust the captive pin post to the right-side, then shorten it to the shortest length by turning the knob and pushing the other end. I found that the closer it is, the easier it is to reach and release with your fingers.

Slide the rack forward so you can see 1-2mm of the rear tightening pad, then tighten. In this position, the captive pin post is behind the receiver flange (as a safety redundancy) and the rack can sit in the vertical position with about 1-2mm clearance from the bumper. You're also able to open the trunk hatch if with just 1 rack in the vertical position.

To remove, untighten and then push the rack in by 0.5 cm, it's a tight uncomfortable squeeze, but I'm able to reach my fingers through the gap and pull the captive pin post and pull the rack out of the receiver at the same time.
I wasn't able to figure out what you mean by "shorten it to the shortest length by turning the knob and pushing the other end."

My captive pin knob looks different from the one in Watts_Up's pic. After quite some time being frustrated by it being so hard to grip, only being able to get it to release by prying with a 13mm wrench, I replaced it with this knurled knob I purchased from McMaster:
A picture of it, along with the red original knob (which I mangled with vise grips while trying to remove it--lots of thread lock on the screw!), is attached.

Overall, I think the rack is fantastic, but the design of this pin mechanism leaves a lot to be desired. In addition to the bad knob, the unthreaded portion of the screw is too short, which means if you apply any side pressure while pulling the pin out (as you're bound to do in the confined space beside the Model Y hitch), the screw threads create a lot of friction on the post hole.

This is my only issue with the rack, though. It's otherwise beautifully engineered, and it hugs the back of the Model Y as if they were designed to work together.

Attachments

• PXL_20231013_184940544.jpg
    PXL_20231013_184940544.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 24
The bikes are quite far away fom the back of the car:

View attachment 959977

View attachment 959978

Note: I have a Model 3 StealthHitches but the 2" receiver was too low to the ground,
and I was hitting my driveway, so I raised it using the trailer carrier ball and welded a 2" receiver on top of it:

View attachment 959993

View attachment 959994

I noticed that the bikes were shaking a little bit when passing above a bump, so when I had to drive on freeway at higher speed,
I felt more secured to keep everything more tight by adding some straps and quick loops on each side of the car:

View attachment 959980 View attachment 959979

View attachment 959976

View attachment 959975

Curious how this has held up long term. Those bikes are VERY far away from the actual hitch mounting bolts. I'm not an engineer, but am curious what the torque loads are with the bikes bouncing around. I also am curious if you've had any trunk issues, using straps to lift the bikes to lighten that torque load.

Also, received my Mach2 + 2 add-ons today. While it isn't going on the tesla, it's VERY well built. I've closely inspected the 1up racks at the trail, and I'm glad I went with the Mach2. I do think they could've packed it better, I have a tiny paint chip in the rack from shipping, but I'm going to email them and am confident they have some touch up paint.