Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to justify Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the towing software really necessary if you don't have parking sensors though? The towing mode offers the following:
  • Disable rear parking sensors
  • Increase cruise control following distance
  • Disable steering intervention
The last two can be done manually.

The Kia EV6's Tow Mode locks the car in 4 wheel drive mode.

I don't think there is a way to do something similar to manually activate the front wheel motor of a Model 3/Y.
I noticed that when the battery get pre-heated before reaching a Supercharger, the front engine is making noise
but I don't know if the front motor is really activated.

Kia Tow Mode .jpg

Last edited:
The Kia EV6's Tow Mode locks the car in 4 wheel drive mode.

I don't think there is a way to do something similar to manually activate the front wheel motor of a Model 3/Y.
I noticed that when the battery get pre-heated before reaching a Supercharger, the front engine is making noise
but I don't know if the front motor is really activated.

View attachment 908875
I believe AWD EV6 have physical front motor disconnect to help with efficiency. Model Y front motor is always connected so I don't think the setting is needed.

Went aftermarket with an eco hitch instead and DIY install. Fairly straight forward. Using it for bike/ski racks as i did not want a roof rack on the car full time given the impact to range. Another option ($300-$400) versus the factory $1k+ hitch.

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues between the 2021, 2022 and 2023 models right? There's a listing on ebay for a $160 hitch that looks identical to the Draw-Tite version but listed for 2021 and 2022 model only.

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues between the 2021, 2022 and 2023 models right? There's a listing on ebay for a $160 hitch that looks identical to the Draw-Tite version but listed for 2021 and 2022 model only.

The rear castings are different between all 3 models. Sandy Munro showed them in a video. The 2020 model is a traditional built rear end using stamped metal. 2021 was a double casting that were welded together. 2023 at least in Texas and possibly Fremont uses a full rear casting. From there, there's 2 rails and a crash beam that attaches to the casting in different ways. However, I have no clue if that means the hitch bolts line up differently.

I would look at the Tesla Parts website to see if the Tesla OEM hitch is the same part number for all 3 years.

Reactions: Daekwan and YW555
id get the tow hitch, its really nice and you add a ton of utility (albeit short range)

get tesla to install or DIY, thats a toss up. At $1K I would prob have tesla do it. At $1.3K idk ... if you are remotely handy the install is pretty easy 2 hours max. I wont say its fun but hey if you can save $1K they 2 hours of time is possibly worth it to you.

I used to think tesla disabled AP with their tow software once a the hitch harness was plugged in. That misinfo biased my opinion so i opted for a DIY drawtite. However Ive since learned that tesla only disables AP when the trailer brake is active, like when you are towing a big trailer. Towing a big trailer with this car would be pretty silly since you would get about 100 mile range safely and unless you are towing to home depot and back, probably beyond what you would do with this car.

So I would prob lean toward the tesla install if new, and 50/50 if not new. And 100% get the hitch. While this car cant tow far, its so strong it will go 100 miles towing a house and thats kinda of useful. Ive loaded it up with 3500 lbs of mulch at home depot and you barely notice its back there. Have to be careful not to lose the load pulling out of the parking lot lol. plus I throw dirtbikes on a hitch rack, mtn bikes on a 1UP, carrier baskets, skis, whatever. Its really nice to have. If the range didnt take such a tremendous hit, it would be an aweosme tow rig but thats just where we're at in the EV world today

DrawTite is same model for 20-23.

Ecohitch for '23 was in testing as of last week, wasn't yet confirmed to fit.

Ecohitch is substantially weaker in tongue weight supported, and they charge (IMO) too much for their magnetic cover. Similar is available for $40 elsewhere.

As Tesla posts very weak lateral numbers on their AND lower tongue I went Drawtite. And will probably never use it.

DrawTite is same model for 20-23.

Ecohitch for '23 was in testing as of last week, wasn't yet confirmed to fit.

Ecohitch is substantially weaker in tongue weight supported, and they charge (IMO) too much for their magnetic cover. Similar is available for $40 elsewhere.

As Tesla posts very weak lateral numbers on their AND lower tongue I went Drawtite. And will probably never use it.
does the extra tongue rating of the drawtite mean i can also put more than 160lbs of bike/rack back there??

does the extra tongue rating of the drawtite mean i can also put more than 160lbs of bike/rack back there??

Yes/No/Sorta: The arm of the bike rack extension tube has to be considered. So does any rise/drop of the tow bar. All are leverage/arm. How much? I don't know. I don't expect the Tesla frame to be the limiting factor, so my ASSUMPTION is that the stronger hitch translates into more strength.

I would expect a bike rack MFG to have insights into how much weight their rack can hold relative to say a 250lbs tongue rating, 500lbs, etc.. Having dealt with this, bed extenders, and etc,I tend to work around 1/3rd of the tongue weight rating. BTW, when I was doing this I used bike rack tethers helping to hold the load up from the top of the trunk/hatch lip. Do that well and I'd personally goto 50%, or 250lbs total load.

If you want the math I THINK it's this: Tongue weight rating assumes 8" of arm. If you're adding 24 inches of rear extension to that, well:

320/(8/12)/((24+8)/12)
426 at the hitch mounting bolts.
161lbs 32" back.

Same thing at 500lbs:
666 at the hitch mounting bolts.
249lbs 32" back.

Now: Am I right?

u can rent trailers from uhaul or home depot if you ever need to haul things that either don't fit or don't want to dirty the interior. there is no mileage charge and at $15/day for a 4x7, much cheaper than renting trucks.

do they help connect trailer for newbies?

Will U-haul connect a trailer to your car for you? Yes. Should you be towing if you don't know how to connect a trailer? No! To insult intended, just the reality of the thing. Got any friends that can talk you through this a few times, take you with on a few trips, etc... This isn't really a great "On the Job Training" opportunity.

As a homeowner, I can't believe people live without a tow hitch. I also have a utility trailer that works better than a truck bed. It has a ramp gate so I can drive right into it, or use my appliance dolly to walk right up. Picking up furniture, appliances and large bulk items is a breeze, just hitch up and go.
THIS. A utility trailer will let you do 90% of what a truck will so for the average person at a timy fraction of the cost. I've pulled such a trailer behind snall cars and it's not a problem at all. That's why I ordered a MY with trailer hitch.

To make everyone's heads explode, I'm putting together another trailer with a gas tank and pump so I can get premium unleaded for my airplane instead of having to use leaded avgas. That's right, I'll be pulling through the Costco gas line in a Tesla :p

Will U-haul connect a trailer to your car for you? Yes. Should you be towing if you don't know how to connect a trailer? No! To insult intended, just the reality of the thing. Got any friends that can talk you through this a few times, take you with on a few trips, etc... This isn't really a great "On the Job Training" opportunity.

I know how. I like the "service" like I go to DT for air checks.

Reactions: dafish
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh
I don't think you need to justify it, but if so, it's a very practical choice. I got it because I wanted the option of towing without borrowing/renting another vehicle.

Turns out, I saved money hauling this flooring to the dump rather than paying the construction people to do it. In the long run I will have saved money by adding the tow package.
20230314_075103.jpg

I don't think you need to justify it, but if so, it's a very practical choice. I got it because I wanted the option of towing without borrowing/renting another vehicle.

Same here. I'll probably only ever use to carry my bike rack. But its absolutely awesome knowing if I need to bring home some stacks of drywall or help someone move.. I can run right to Uhaul and grab a trailer for $20. No need to struggle to try to get that stuff inside my car, scuffing up the inside or leaving terrible smells and spills. IMO this IS part of the difference between a car & SUV. SUV should have a beefier frame with atleast the ability to tow reasonable sized accessories.

Was actually looking at a 86" TV at Costco just last week. Price marked down to $1,200. And this is exactly how I would get it home:

1683665677982.png