Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to justify Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve installed quite a few hitches on various cars. Being a DIYer, it only takes a couple hours and I know it’s done right.

As for what to use it for, I have a small utility trailer that I take to the dump or for materials frequently, or used to when I didn’t have a truck. now the bike rack gets more usage.

Since I have a truck with a hitch, this time I’ll probably just get a hitch only with no wiring, just for the bike rack. Those $300 aftermarket hitches typically require a separate purchase for wiring.

Guys I will be ordering a 7 seater and I want a tow hitch for a bike rack and maybe to carry extra cargo when needed. Do I still go for a factory hitch even though I have no plans to tow ?

I had considered this when I ordered my MYLR7, my first option was with Uhaul because I had my other car's hitch installed by them in the past. Uhaul quoted $850 for just the hitch and wiring harness, incl Labor fees. Now I was reading more about the "tow mode software" and that Tesla will not activate or install it if you have aftermarket hitch... (not sure if this is true) but If the difference from the OEM is only $150 and you have a better chance of the car not beeping when your towing something. (possibly better resale value of the car if you go OEM ???)

Reactions: EdSt
I had considered this when I ordered my MYLR7, my first option was with Uhaul because I had my other car's hitch installed by them in the past. Uhaul quoted $850 for just the hitch and wiring harness, incl Labor fees. Now I was reading more about the "tow mode software" and that Tesla will not activate or install it if you have aftermarket hitch... (not sure if this is true) but If the difference from the OEM is only $150 and you have a better chance of the car not beeping when your towing something. (possibly better resale value of the car if you go OEM ???)
if you know you are going to tow, it’s likely best to order the Y with a tow hitch. Comes pre-installed, and the tow mode software you mention makes it a no brainer. If you already have your Tesla, and are just wanting it for a bike rack, then $1300 sounds a bit steep…

Reactions: Daekwan
We ordered our 7-seater without the hitch because it let us drive one off the lot in a neighbouring city just two days later, instead of being on a months-long waiting list. Then we had a Tesla service centre add the hitch and wiring to our Model Y after the fact. Sure that cost more than just ordering one with the hitch, but the money we saved by not gassing up the old Santa Fe XL for the 10,000 km we'd have driven it while sitting on the waiting list more than made up for the difference. We'll be hitching up our Seadoos up to it in another few weeks...

Reactions: Shevek and gt2690b
We ordered our 7-seater without the hitch because it let us drive one off the lot in a neighbouring city just two days later, instead of being on a months-long waiting list. Then we had a Tesla service centre add the hitch and wiring to our Model Y after the fact. Sure that cost more than just ordering one with the hitch, but the money we saved by not gassing up the old Santa Fe XL for the 10,000 km we'd have driven it while sitting on the waiting list more than made up for the difference. We'll be hitching up our Seadoos up to it in another few weeks...
What's a km?

I put hitches on almost everything I own, even my bicycles :)

I initially ordered wo/a hitch, and when I went to change it was told it would affect my delivery timing. I didn't want that, so I installed 3rd party. Draw-tite is the strongest of them. I paid $150 for the installation., but of course I don't get tow mode. NBD, I'm told all it does is disable the rear USS's, and since I don't have any....

For $1k I'd do factory, for anything over that I'd DIY,

Reactions: gt2690b
I put hitches on almost everything I own, even my bicycles :)

I initially ordered wo/a hitch, and when I went to change it was told it would affect my delivery timing. I didn't want that, so I installed 3rd party. Draw-tite is the strongest of them. I paid $150 for the installation., but of course I don't get tow mode. NBD, I'm told all it does is disable the rear USS's, and since I don't have any....

For $1k I'd do factory, for anything over that I'd DIY,
Who did it for $150?

Who did it for $150?

A local body shop. They bill at $65 an hour on T&M, and he had 2.5 hours at most. E-Trailer quotes 2 hours for the job, and I'd sent him the link w/the how to and the hours. Not to hold him to it, but to let him know how to plan his day. He didn't bill me for a month or two, so I finally dropped in and handed him three $50's in cash and told him to let me know if he needed more. He won't - cash jobs that are all labor are a good thing :)

Last edited:
We went in to test drive the Y 3 weeks ago. The next day, Tesla raised the price of the Y $250. We found a Y under existing inventory that had everything we wanted (7 seater, 20” wheels) but also had the hitch. So we figured we got the hitch for $750 because the existing inventory Tesla base price for the LR AWD was $50,240 instead of $50,490. Took us 2 weeks from test drive to get all financing in order and get the car shipped from Fremont.

I wasn’t initially going to get the tow hitch but now I’m glad I did. Have 2 kids and can easily fit all 4 bikes on a bike rack now instead of climbing up on the roof, and I know damn well I’d drive my car into the garage with bikes on the roof. Also the best part is I can run to Home Depot and go rent stuff like a lawn aerator, or an insulation blower, and rent a trailer for $20. I don’t need to find a friend to use a truck anymore either!

Reactions: gt2690b and gtae07
Renting a trailer for $20 is such a great idea that I didn't even think about prior. We do a lot of Home Depot runs for random things that won't fit inside a normal cabin, and have always wanted to get a beater truck for it. Now I'm sold on adding a hitch and not having to have an extra truck just sitting around 99% of the time.

Reactions: vickh
Thought I'd post a towing experience I had today. While checking in at the local landfill, I was towing a Harbor Freight trailer loaded up with trash. The attendant at the checkin looked at my MYLR and exclaimed; 'I didn't know "one of these" would tow a trailer'. Yep I warmly replied. That's one of the reasons I bought the Model Y. Can tow, take on long road trips, drive around town and much less expensive that a 'gas' auto. It was a nice experience to help someone understand the capabilities of an electric auto. :)

Reactions: vickh and gt2690b
  1. Aesthetic considerations: Some people may find the appearance of a tow hitch on their car less visually appealing, especially if it protrudes from the back. If aesthetics are important to you, consider whether the presence of a tow hitch would detract from the overall look of your vehicle.
ChatGPT fail, the Model Y has a cover over the hitch. You can't tell whether or not it has a hitch until you take the cover off. Otherwise it looks identical with the cover on.

On other SUV's, yes a hitch frame can hand down below the bumper and look ugly after a few years with some rust. But the Model Y hitch is hidden behind a cover.

• Love
Reactions: dafish and gt2690b
I got the tow hitch before delivery because I figured that even though have an old CRV, at some point I'd take the Y to Home Depot and get something that I shouldn't. Either something dirty like a bag of quickrete or something that was too large and ripped a seat. I figured I'd just rent a trailer fom HD or maybe even buy a colapsible one

In two years, I've never actually used the two hitch until . . .

. . . I was coming home one day and I noticed someone had put this out by the kerb

Cargo Carrier 1 no tag b.jpg

Cargo Carrier 2 no tag b.jpg

It looks a lot better now as I took a wire brush to it, then added a coat of primer and two top coats, and then applied some reflector tape

Mind you, having seen the pics earlier in this thread, I'm tempted to go back to their house and ask if they could possibly buy and throw out the aluminum one

• Funny
Reactions: KevinT3141
Funy story: When I saw that cargo carrier, I figured I had to go and get it, but I didn't want it in the back of the Y in case I damaged something, so I went to the CRV instead (the thing's a beast btw, carries way more than you might expect) but the battery was totally flat. I figured it wouldn't last long out at the kerb like that, so I walked over and picked it up. THAT'S when I realise it weighed 54lbs AND was a really difficult shape to carry

I finally got it home, then I looked at my Y and suddenly thought "You djckhead. You could have put it in the hitch and driven it home. Doh!"

Like the guy on the building site and the foreman says "Go and get me a wheelbarrow". He disappears then comes back with two; one inside the other. "I only wanted one" said the foreman and the workman replied "Ah but you didn;t expect me to carry it did you?"