Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arrows... brilliant! I'm a visual guy by trade and I didn't think of that. So an Arrow on Hold could be just tilted or circled. Nice.

Get this, I'm back to no creep now. The auto-park feature with creep takes about 5 ft of travel, but it's immediate without creep. My habits are really messed up. Joys of unlearning.

FYI, I was told by a Tesla shop guy that 2 of 3 things need to be maintained or it will go into Park. Butt in Seat, Seat Belt latched, and Door Closed. I did not know that.

Sorry, I'm confused. What is the difference in auto-park between creep and no creep?

I keep going back and forth between not using creep - I like that it can almost slow down to a stop without ever using the brakes but not a fan during parking. For delicate parking, I will left foot brake - I have pressed both pedals without any warning from the car - is the warning turned off at slow speeds?

• Informative
Reactions: Les Mann
I am color blind, please, DO NOT USE MAGENTA as it is close to invisible.

I'm guessing you're Monochromatic... quite rare. Ya, Magenta is probably right up there with yellow. I just think it would be cool, especially for folks like you, to have a colorblind selector for your UI. Would be great PR for Tesla as well. Maybe bigger fish to fry.

This was originally about the Hold being subtle vs D and R. I thought of using capsense in the Pedal, so iff in Hold, shakes the wheel a bit or alerts on-screen as your foot gets closer to the pedal, before touching it. Just a get ready thing in case we forget it's not in Park.

Sorry, I'm confused. What is the difference in auto-park between creep and no creep?

In no creep, see my definition for 2/3 sensors, goes into Park immediately. In creep, if you exit the car in Drive while removing your foot from the brake and opening the door (thinking it's in Park) it moves forward about 5' then goes into Park. I did it for some reason in a parking lot just yesterday. Why, I have no idea... need to get rid of all ICE!

Like I said, I'm switching modes way too many times, and using No Creep now. Creep feels artificial anyway and like others have noted, it coasts more.

And I recall in ICE days, not pressing enough on the brakes in stopping traffic and creeping forward. (Not to be confused with the car next to you in a parking spot moving and making you think you're rolling when you're not.) I know, this should be simple, humans aren't though. These habits are complicated, so is unlearning.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Snerruc and TT97
In no creep, see my definition for 2/3 sensors, goes into Park immediately. In creep, if you exit the car in Drive while removing your foot from the brake and opening the door (thinking it's in Park) it moves forward about 5' then goes into Park. I did it for some reason in a parking lot just yesterday. Why, I have no idea... need to get rid of all ICE!

Like I said, I'm switching modes way too many times, and using No Creep now. Creep feels artificial anyway and like others have noted, it coasts more.

And I recall in ICE days, not pressing enough on the brakes in stopping traffic and creeping forward. (Not to be confused with the car next to you in a parking spot moving and making you think you're rolling when you're not.) I know, this should be simple, humans aren't though. These habits are complicated, so is unlearning.

Oh, that auto-park (I was thinking Park Assist was different between creep and no creep).

I'm guessing you're Monochromatic... quite rare. Ya, Magenta is probably right up there with yellow. I just think it would be cool, especially for folks like you, to have a colorblind selector for your UI. Would be great PR for Tesla as well. Maybe bigger fish to fry.
No, yellow is just fine, it is only reds and greens. Magenta just happens to be really bad. Heck, red is better than magenta.

Sorry but to me this is a non issue. If I am in R, then I see the backup camera clearly on the screen. If not in D I do not move or creep when I press the accelerator. In over 5,500 miles never have I confused D for R.

Exactly! There are enough queues that signal R without needing to add additional things that can clutter the screen. I didn't even mention the backup camera in my previous post because it's so obvious, but that's probably the biggest one, even more so than the audible and visual tilting of the side mirrors.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Agree about reverse.

What about D vs Hold. There was actually someone earlier in this post who admitted forgetting to put it in Park but thought it was fine because they opened the door. My suggestion was simply to not minimize the Hold (greyed out ambiguous symbol). Maybe Keep it in "D" with a circle or underline. Forget color, I get it.

That's all I'm sayin'

Agree about reverse.

What about D vs Hold. There was actually someone earlier in this post who admitted forgetting to put it in Park but thought it was fine because they opened the door. My suggestion was simply to not minimize the Hold (greyed out ambiguous symbol). Maybe Keep it in "D" with a circle or underline. Forget color, I get it.

That's all I'm sayin'

I guess I'm not understanding how there can be confusion about being in D vs being in hold, but like I wrote earlier, I always have creep on so if my foot isn't on the brake or if I'm not in hold, I'm moving. If anything needs to change, it should be sufficient to make the hold symbol as large as the P/R/D in black instead of grayed out. Or just spell out HOLD. I strongly disagree that adding a circle around the D or a line underneath the D should signify hold as that would be much easier to get confused than the entire letter changing.

Agree about reverse.

That's all I'm sayin'

I have forgotten a couple times on my old Mercedes having it on hold and leaving without putting it in park and may have done it once on the 3 as well (not 100% sure). It's not that big of a deal as the car will put itself into "P" as soon as you leave. Also, if you have it on hold for 10 minutes without leaving the car, the car will shift to "P" as well.

Sorry but to me this is a non issue. If I am in R, then I see the backup camera clearly on the screen.

Some of us drive with the rear camera on because the rear view mirror is dinky and the trunk top is so high you can’t see the horizon behind you.

I hate the auto tilt mirrors (you can turn those off?), but those and creep are my R/D indicators. (I thought I’d prefer no creep, but turns out it’s handy.)

Just want to explain a couple of the disagrees I've given:

If you can't remember what gear you put the car in (drive vs. reverse), you should not be driving. Heck, you probably shouldn't have a license to drive. The car does not need to have any additional nannies to bring to your attention what gear you're in; you put it in that gear, there is an indicator available should you want to check. Nothing more is needed.

Just want to explain a couple of the disagrees I've given:

If you can't remember what gear you put the car in (drive vs. reverse), you should not be driving. Heck, you probably shouldn't have a license to drive. The car does not need to have any additional nannies to bring to your attention what gear you're in; you put it in that gear, there is an indicator available should you want to check. Nothing more is needed.

completely agree. I have had to read the OP's post twice to find any issues and couldn't find one.

If you can't remember what gear you put the car in (drive vs. reverse), you should not be driving. Heck, you probably shouldn't have a license to drive.
Occasional forgetting on various matters started happening to me at around age 55! ;) I took my wife to the optometrist to have her aging eyes dilated. We returned home and parked in our two car garage. I told her to wait in the car so I could help her inside because she had blurry vision. I got out to open the house doors and went back to the car to help her out. She wasn't there! :eek: Where the hell did she go? :mad: I returned to the wrong car! :confused: It happens eventually to everyone to a greater or lessor extent. You will reach that age sooner rather than later. Youth and arrogance are wasted on the young. They shouldn't have a license to drive. :cool:

Last edited:
Related, there should be an option to disable hold in reverse. I didn't even know hold in reverse was possible until OP pointed it out and I tried it. The only time I ever use hold is at stop lights or drive-thrus. I know if I'm stopped and my foot isn't on the brake the next movement will always be forward. Having the ability to hold in reverse just confuses that and I'm having a hard time seeing the utility in that.

Hey @EVie'sDad and @hacer instead of just disagreeing how about contributing and saying why having the option to turn off hold in reverse is a bad idea? I'm genuinely interested in what instances you use it that makes it an essential part of your driving habits. Even after being made aware of it last week, I've been trying to find times where I'm reverse where I would want to be able to hold. If I'm in reverse it's because I'm actively maneuvering the car, unlike being stopped at a long light or in a drive-thru.

Hey @EVie'sDad and @hacer instead of just disagreeing how about contributing and saying why having the option to turn off hold in reverse is a bad idea? I'm genuinely interested in what instances you use it that makes it an essential part of your driving habits. Even after being made aware of it last week, I've been trying to find times where I'm reverse where I would want to be able to hold. If I'm in reverse it's because I'm actively maneuvering the car, unlike being stopped at a long light or in a drive-thru.

Why add more functions to the settings that are unnecessary? You even said it yourself that you didn't know you can place on hold in reverse. The hold function is an additional step that is required to put the car in hold, it doesn't automatically put the car in hold.

If you don't have a need to place the car in hold in reverse, don't do it. There are already enough options on the settings menu, I don't need more options for a function that already needs to be actively engaged.

For example, if you are backing up a sloping driveway into a garage and you need to wait for the garage door to finish opening or children, etc to move out of the way. You'll want to resume backing when it's clear without rolling back into the traffic on the street in front of you. I have yet to see any explanation where disabling it would actually be helpful. Your examples of using it in forward were all for level roads, but it is mostly useful for stopping on slopes. Given that you didn't even know it worked in reverse, it did not confuse you, so it's never caused you any problems, so why do you want to disable it? I seriously don't buy the "forgot what gear I'm in" argument. If that's your problem you need different help entirely. BTW, I'm 55.

For example, if you are backing up a sloping driveway into a garage and you need to wait for the garage door to finish opening or children, etc to move out of the way. You'll want to resume backing when it's clear without rolling back into the traffic on the street in front of you. I have yet to see any explanation where disabling it would actually be helpful. Your examples of using it in forward were all for level roads, but it is mostly useful for stopping on slopes. Given that you didn't even know it worked in reverse, it did not confuse you, so it's never caused you any problems, so why do you want to disable it? I seriously don't buy the "forgot what gear I'm in" argument. If that's your problem you need different help entirely. BTW, I'm 55.

If you go back and read the thread carefully, you'll see that I'm not the that's having problems forgetting what gear I'm in. You can save that indignation for the OP, who brought this all up in the first place when it seems to be a non-issue for pretty much everyone. You would also see that I'm not arguing to take away the function, but suggesting the option of disabling it. If that helps someone like OP not make the mistake of forgetting what gear is he in, what does it matter to you if disabling it is possible since it seems to be essential to your driving habits?

Last edited: