Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

radar detector tap 2021/2022 X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a V1 in my 2022 Plaid. I couldn't meter a "proper" ignition up at the mirror, so I just went down to the center console. The CIG outlet is switched, and on it's own fuse. Been working flawlessly since install. Turns on when I open the door, and off when I exit. Here's my write up on the install

Reactions: everydaychris
20221019_103104.jpg

Do you have a photo post install? Curious what it looks like
From drivers seat you can't really see the cord, but from this perspective you can see that it follows the contour of the camera housing. I like to mount the radar up high above the mirror, which you can't do in any other vehicles without this gigantic windshield.

View attachment 865343

From drivers seat you can't really see the cord, but from this perspective you can see that it follows the contour of the camera housing. I like to mount the radar up high above the mirror, which you can't do in any other vehicles without this gigantic windshield.

Does that tint affect the detector? I know people have had issues with FastTrak toll tags in that area

View attachment 865343

Hopefully you see this G
I'm doing a radar detector install video soon. I was curious how you kept the cord hidden on the right with some sort of cable management zip tie?
There's like no space to attach the power supply too so I'm curious how you did it.
I'll probably mount mine either that high or under the cameras so it doesn't get in the way of the sunvisor

Got it done! Just like G.
Tapped into GREEN and black camera power with a mirror tap. It seems to turn off when the car goes into a deep sleep but turning on by itself has been a hit or miss for some reason

Tried to do the same based on your video but with an HW4 MXP. It seems the cables where you connected yours are now black and red, and the connector is black vs white. That cable normally goes around the housing in cable management but if you remove it from it you can see it, very similar to your video, by just removing the first trim piece under the mirror (did have to remove all to get access to it).

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it work and we have the same Uniden R8 with mirror tap. Didn't have much time and will try again.

I wonder if anybody has been able to make the same work with HW4 cars? Did I miss something?

Tried to do the same based on your video but with an HW4 MXP. It seems the cables where you connected yours are now black and red, and the connector is black vs white. That cable normally goes around the housing in cable management but if you remove it from it you can see it, very similar to your video, by just removing the first trim piece under the mirror (did have to remove all to get access to it).

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it work and we have the same Uniden R8 with mirror tap. Didn't have much time and will try again.

I wonder if anybody has been able to make the same work with HW4 cars? Did I miss something?
dang so you're saying both connectors didn't provide any power?

Reactions: Leek4u
dang so you're saying both connectors didn't provide any power?
Sorry I didn't take pictures, didn't have much time, but there is a picture in this post of what HW4 looks like from an MS:

So basically I was only able to find that black connector with the black and red cables which I tried with not much success. I do wonder if I missed something though. Will try again soon when I can dedicate more time, but if anybody finds out, let us know!