Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

radar unplugged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the newest HW4 cars have the new HD radar, all other model s Teslas do not use radar anymore. They may be disconnecting them or removing them so they don't cause any errors. Telsa went to Vision Only in 2022. They will not use radar in the future. If you want a radar, you need to buy one of the newest hardware cars.

Reactions: Nickos
Although the newest HW4 cars have the new HD radar, all other model s Teslas do not use radar anymore. They may be disconnecting them or removing them so they don't cause any errors. Telsa went to Vision Only in 2022. They will not use radar in the future. If you want a radar, you need to buy one of the newest hardware cars.
ok thanx..2017 model s may not even have it then

It's controlled by software, so it can be turned on and off easily without physically access it.

In the old days, a lamp needed to be plugged and unplugged but modern lamps can be controlled by software and you don't need to unplug it to turn it off.

It's controlled by software, so it can be turned on and off easily without physically access it.

In the old days, a lamp needed to be plugged and unplugged but modern lamps can be controlled by software and you don't need to unplug it to turn it off.
Why are they spending the time and money to unplug the radar, and some have reported the radar being removed by service without notification to the customer? It must not be optimal, and perhaps it is drawing energy, if it remains plugged in.

Why are they spending the time and money to unplug the radar, and some have reported the radar being removed by service without notification to the customer? It must not be optimal, and perhaps it is drawing energy, if it remains plugged in.
That was the reason Tesla told owners: energy consumption. Tesla never said plugging in or removing the radar would cause "errors."

However, Tesla's reasoning does not make sense. Older radars like Tesla's consumes around 10 to 20 watts. Newer ones like 3-d imaging HD radars uses around 4 watts.

If Tesla wants to take back my free mobile connector that was included in my car to save me extra weight and energy consumption, would you think Tesla is caring about my finances or about its profits?

Reactions: Nickos
That was the reason Tesla told owners: energy consumption. Tesla never said plugging in or removing the radar would cause "errors."

However, Tesla's reasoning does not make sense. Older radars like Tesla's consumes around 10 to 20 watts. Newer ones like 3-d imaging HD radars uses around 4 watts.

If Tesla wants to take back my free mobile connector that was included in my car to save me extra weight and energy consumption, would you think Tesla is caring about my finances or about its profits?

They’re not taking them out of the car, just unplugging it. So yes, it reduces power draw somewhere in the ~10-15 watt range.

I don’t understand why anyone gets upset about it. The part is obsolete. It’s dead. Doesn’t do anything but draw power and emit RF unnecessarily. The car’s software completely ignores it. Completely useless module now.

Has nothing to do with money. Please explain why disconnecting a useless module is somehow a cost play for Tesla. Show your work.

Last edited: