Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain and KWh per mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely. It's a significant effect. On one long drive between Superchargers it started raining just as we left, with maybe a 25%-30% margin estimated by the nav using the previous dry conditions. We had to slow below the speed limit most of the time in order to arrive at our next stop with 10% remaining. Of course some of that slowing was required just due to the rain, but we had to slow more than that, and follow behind trucks to keep our 10% margin.

Pretty much as others have said, along with inclines, wind and temperature, rain has one of the largest impacts on range. It's effectively because the tires/wheels have to push the denser water out of the way on the road before moving forward. As an aside, summer tires will suffer more than all-seasons because the tread is smaller. Also air with high humidity has greater density than dry air.

It's hard to quantify how much, it depends on other factors, but if you're typically getting 250Wh/mi, light rain alone might increase that to 260 - 270Wh/mi and heavy rain more so. If you combine that with cold, you could end up adding 50Wh/Mi quite easily.

I average around 125Wh/km on my home-work trip in the 3 weeks that I have my car now. I drove 2 times in heavy rain, and the average of those drives came to 175Wh/km. I have to mention that the training days were also colder than the dry days, which would have lead to increased use of the heater since I just put that in auto on 20,5C.

Yes. Well, technically it's that the road is wet that hurts efficiency. A wet road is "stickier" when it comes to rolling resistance, which means the motor must use more power to turn the wheels.

Actually wet roads are less sticky (that's why tires have less traction when wet).

In case the link does not work, in a nut shell, the tire is constantly trying to climb up on top of the water (i.e. trying to hydroplane)
If you're not driving to fast, the tire fails to get on top of the water and has to push the water out of it's way to reach the pavement.

See the 2nd answer here.

Does a car consume more fuel when it's raining?

It's a big impact. Even more so if the temperature delta outside is bigger. A cold temp will suck heat away from the car (water being a great thermal conductor), which will mean more heat is needed.

From my experience, I had almost a 50% increase in consumption when I had the following conditions:
~35-45F weather
Torrential downpour type rain

Counterintuitively, air is apparently LESS dense when it's humid...

Science of Baseball

Well I never knew that. Additionally, rain is often associated with low pressure systems (which I did know) so even less density - I learned something new, thanks.

As that article says, it only makes about 1% difference typically, so far less than temperature or the additional tire resistance. Interesting nonetheless.

Any amount of water on the road increases rolling resistance. The tire must pump tread width times distance times water depth for each tire.
Example for Model S at 65 mph:
Equivalent mpg:
Smooth dry asphalt, no wind, no hills: 110.81
Light rain: 95.26
Medium rain: 88.83
Heavy rain: 83.90
At 35 mph:
Smooth dry asphalt, no wind: 166.37
Light rain: 133.81
Medium rain: 121.53
Heavy rain: 112.55
Numbers courtesy of Vehicle Energy Use Simulator Main

Well I never knew that. Additionally, rain is often associated with low pressure systems (which I did know) so even less density - I learned something new, thanks.

As that article says, it only makes about 1% difference typically, so far less than temperature or the additional tire resistance. Interesting nonetheless.

Yeah, it came up during a recent baseball game I was watching, and was a surprise to me, too.

Also note baseballs really carry at altitude (thin air) - anybody out there living at high altitude? You should be getting good KWh/m numbers at faster speeds, except of course you're probably dealing with big hills, which would be a negative!