Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain - reverse camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Done. Have the camera retract into a housing so it only exposed to elements when called into action. VW, Mercedes have implemented this already. I can’t speak to how well it works or whether it risks for more issues as the plastic motor track get gunked up over time with dust or debris.
Chevrolet uses a spray nozzle linked to the windshield washer reservoir to clean off the camera when it gets gunked up. I never have to worry about wiping down my rear view camera on the Bolt.

Keith

I agree- every car I've driven that has a rear camera has needed periodic cleaning. Road salt in the winter certainly doesn't help. A retractable system like some people have described would help; I don't know if Tesla uses the rear camera at all while driving or not. If it does then retracting it isn't an option.

I agree- every car I've driven that has a rear camera has needed periodic cleaning. Road salt in the winter certainly doesn't help. A retractable system like some people have described would help; I don't know if Tesla uses the rear camera at all while driving or not. If it does then retracting it isn't an option.
Tesla uses rear camera that records especially for dash cam system. So, retractable is not an option.

our y and 3 undoubtedly have the worst rain blur issues we’ve experienced. Once you get reliant on the backup camera, it can be jarring when you need to back up in the dark with rain pouring. Rain x doesn’t help. Wondering if a simple lens roof/lip could help but if it’s water splashing up, then that would be trickier.

if you can invent the camera lens that is exposed to the environment does not do that, you will be a billionaire
I wonder if this guy is a billionaire . Sold out right now but they do exist Superhydrophobic Camera Cover for Model 3 & Y

wideshot_2048x.png