Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raise your hand if you feel forgotten on the trunk camera harness recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now today I noticed in the service section of the app that they said the parts are in and to request service for the recall. Took long enough! I'm sure they could bring mobile service to me, wish they had a number so I could ask. Thinking about buying a new 12 volt battery as well, since my the battery in my 2018 has never been replaced and I could keep a new one ready. Mobile service could bring that too, or I guess I could drive the two hours to the nearest service center for the recall and battery.

My appointment is scheduled for next Tuesday, Tesla is sending mobile service to my house. I put in the comments that I also needed a new 12 volt battery but they said nothing about it. So I'm sure they won't bring me a new battery. And I'll end up having to drive the two hours there and two hours back to get one. There is no phone number anymore to contact my nearest service center and I hate that about Tesla now. Sometimes we need to talk with an actual person and not do everything though the app!

My appointment is scheduled for next Tuesday, Tesla is sending mobile service to my house. I put in the comments that I also needed a new 12 volt battery but they said nothing about it. So I'm sure they won't bring me a new battery. And I'll end up having to drive the two hours there and two hours back to get one. There is no phone number anymore to contact my nearest service center and I hate that about Tesla now. Sometimes we need to talk with an actual person and not do everything though the app!
There is a message option with the appointment. Ask.

Finally was able to connect with Tesla Service and asked if they could also bring me a new 12 volt battery. They agreed to but then I noticed the invoice showed a labor cost, so I told them that I was planning on installing the battery myself and if they could remove that fee. They agreed and stated that in the future they don't deliver parts via mobile appointments. My plan is not to replace my 12 volt battery until the car gives me a notification. On another ICE vehicle the battery lasted for 8 years and only went bad because it would go weeks without driving it, so the battery was in a low state charge often. I will keep this new battery on a battery maintainer until it's time to install it.

Reactions: Transformer
I just scheduled my recall with mobile service. I didn't know you have to schedule it. I thought they will notify you when it is available but that's not the case. I don't know how long it has been "available" already.
The letter they initially sent me specially said I didn't have to do anything and that they would contact me, clearly this was not true. Apparently Tesla lies as much as Elon does.

The letter they initially sent me specially said I didn't have to do anything and that they would contact me, clearly this was not true. Apparently Tesla lies as much as Elon does.
The letter everyone got said the same thing. Even after scheduling the mobile service, my app's Service menu still say to top "Rear Harness Recall" > You do not need to request an appointment at this time. You will receive a notification in your Tesla App when parts are available for your vehicle.

I just received message back from Tesla Service and they said they will order the parts for me now and if the parts are not available, they will reschedule my appointment. So, unless you order mobile service, they are not going to attempt to source the parts.

Finally was able to connect with Tesla Service and asked if they could also bring me a new 12 volt battery. They agreed to but then I noticed the invoice showed a labor cost, so I told them that I was planning on installing the battery myself and if they could remove that fee. They agreed and stated that in the future they don't deliver parts via mobile appointments. My plan is not to replace my 12 volt battery until the car gives me a notification. On another ICE vehicle the battery lasted for 8 years and only went bad because it would go weeks without driving it, so the battery was in a low state charge often. I will keep this new battery on a battery maintainer until it's time to install it.
I know your plan is about keeping the existing 12V battery going til it dies, and not about saving the labor cost. But for reference, I had my Model 3's 12V replaced via mobile service, and the labor cost was only $25... yeah, it's super easy to DIY, but at $25 every 4+ years, I'll let them do it ;-)

Per the original topic, my SC always seems to get to the recall work when I book an appointment for other things, so they did my trunk harness recall when they came out to replace my 12V battery. But similar story for other recalls - airbag inflators, Model S frunk latch, etc. OTOH, I'm still waiting years later for them to replace my Model S MCU's recalled eMMC module - mobile app still says my eMMC is working just fine and not to schedule service, meanwhile my MCU keeps getting slower and slower after 6 years...

I know your plan is about keeping the existing 12V battery going til it dies, and not about saving the labor cost. But for reference, I had my Model 3's 12V replaced via mobile service, and the labor cost was only $25... yeah, it's super easy to DIY, but at $25 every 4+ years, I'll let them do it ;-)
It takes less than 5 minutes to replace a battery, even in a Tesla. They wanted $28 for labor, for 5 minutes work, so yeah no way I was going to pay that. Not like it would break my back lifting such a tiny battery.