Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh, NC waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a similar email from Andrew in Vegas that I would be receiving a home delivery. Not a lot of details other than they would need to receive payment in full prior to shipping the vehicle. He will be reaching out once the vehicle is closer to NC.

I like the idea of home delivery versus driving 150 miles to Raleigh. I have similar questions about paying in full prior to seeing and inspecting the vehicle? How will the vehicle be shipped? Will a Tesla DA accompany the vehicle?

[
Did they mention how they are going to protect all the cars during the hurricane? Isn't the regional loading area in Charlotte? Is that safe? Sorry, I have no clue about hurricanes and distance as I'm in the PNW :).

They likely won't do much to protect the cars in Charlotte. Likely 100-150 cars on the lot right now. My guess is many of them don't even have much of a charge.

The latest hurricane update shows Florence making a sharp SW turn, after making landfall around Wilmington, and moving in to SC. Raleigh and Charlotte may only see some outer rain bands.

Just got this update from my delivery adviser-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So they have found a solution to the logistical issue in Raleigh and that is sending the car directly to your house at no additional cost. This means a couple things are different with this but we’re trying to get you your car as soon as possible.

1. The vehicle must be funded completely before your Tesla can ship from your service center. If you are paying in cash ACH payment can be made from your Tesla account, or you can send a cashier’s check or wire payment. If you have obtained financing, we must have funding in full from your bank prior to delivery. If possible, please have the check sent to my address at 7180 Pollock Drive, Las Vegas NV 89119 C/O YOUR NAME if a check is to be sent.

1. The vehicle will be at your nearest service center prior to shipping. Once there, we will hire out a third party vendor to ultimately take your vehicle to your home address, or other address as you coordinate with the driver. We give a general ETA business day timeline for this process to play out. As we work with a third party vendor to delivery, we must also work with their routing and timetables as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This caused me to have questions.

Like- if it's going to be at my nearest service center- that's Raleigh- why can't I just go get it right there and then? I work like 15 minutes away, I can accommodate any time/date they give me within reason and not waste their money and everyones time on a 3rd party.

Also - since nobody from Tesla is coming with the car- what happens if there's something wrong with it? Can I refuse delivery at that point? Or if it's minor enough I just need it as a "we owe" item- who agrees to it since nobody from Tesla is there?

Waiting for answers but this sounds more sketch than the method Ozymandius described he was going to be trying where an actual Tesla person delivers the car and he gets to do the paperwork AT the dealership instead of sending a check to Vegas.
Those of us in Charlotte already have to complete all paperwork before we can take delivery, as the DMV will not allow the Tesla Lot in Charlotte to take any paperwork or payments. I am sending mine to Raleigh tomorrow for a scheduled Saturday delivery (assuming the weather doesn’t cancel it).

I just received a similar email from Andrew in Vegas that I would be receiving a home delivery. Not a lot of details other than they would need to receive payment in full prior to shipping the vehicle. He will be reaching out once the vehicle is closer to NC.

I like the idea of home delivery versus driving 150 miles to Raleigh. I have similar questions about paying in full prior to seeing and inspecting the vehicle? How will the vehicle be shipped? Will a Tesla DA accompany the vehicle?

Stay safe man!

Reactions: jdcollins5
Those of us in Charlotte already have to complete all paperwork before we can take delivery, as the DMV will not allow the Tesla Lot in Charlotte to take any paperwork or payments. I am sending mine to Raleigh tomorrow for a scheduled Saturday delivery (assuming the weather doesn’t cancel it).

that's fine- but you still are taking delivery at a tesla shop

So if there's a major problem you can reject delivery.

Or if there's minor ones you can get a tesla employee to either get it fixed right there, or sign the "we owe" sheet agreeing they will take care of it.

From the description the IDA gave mine would be delivered by some random 3rd party transport

Extra weird he told me to have the payment sent, not to Raleigh- but to his address in Las Vegas.... further making it sound like the local DC wasn't even going to be involved or something.

Which also screws my plan to have the local folks add FSD for 3k before I take the car (since the IDA refuses to)

Reactions: TrickyDimitri
that's fine- but you still are taking delivery at a tesla shop

So if there's a major problem you can reject delivery.

Or if there's minor ones you can get a tesla employee to either get it fixed right there, or sign the "we owe" sheet agreeing they will take care of it.

From the description the IDA gave mine would be delivered by some random 3rd party transport

Extra weird he told me to have the payment sent, not to Raleigh- but to his address in Las Vegas.... further making it sound like the local DC wasn't even going to be involved or something.

Which also screws my plan to have the local folks add FSD for 3k before I take the car (since the IDA refuses to)
Very good point. I’m sure you will give all your feedback to Tesla main sales, and the local SC.

We did a home delivery, and it was fine. We submitted payment by ACH before seeing the car, ran into the delivery issues at Raleigh, and requested a home delivery (since we live 3hrs away). We were in contact with a local CLT delivery advisor (that's where our car was) and he assured us the car would be inspected thoroughly before it was shipped to us. They found a chip in the back glass, and had it replaced.

I wasn't home during delivery - my husband accepted the car. According to him, the car arrived in an enclosed truck and there was a Tesla rep riding along with the delivery driver. He had to sign a form that said the car was received - nothing about saying you accepted the car in it's current condition. Tesla rep had a way to take note of any issues (we had none) if needed. 1,200 miles later, and the car is still perfect.

@jdcollins5 Best of luck this weekend -- hope everything is OK.

I haven't heard anything from my rep since last week... not something I want to deal with during an impending hurricane anyway, but hope to hear from him next week. My model S delivery was delayed by an ice storm... I gotta stop buying Teslas for the benefit of my neighbors, I think.

HaHa!

Thank you! At least it has dropped to a Cat 2!

According to him, the car arrived in an enclosed truck and there was a Tesla rep riding along with the delivery driver. He had to sign a form that said the car was received - nothing about saying you accepted the car in it's current condition. Tesla rep had a way to take note of any issues (we had none) if needed. 1,200 miles later, and the car is still perfect.

Yeah that'd be fine, but from my guys description this is a new process where a 3rd party person delivers it, not anybody from Tesla (see below for more on that)

This caused me to have questions.

Like- if it's going to be at my nearest service center- that's Raleigh- why can't I just go get it right there and then? I work like 15 minutes away, I can accommodate any time/date they give me within reason and not waste their money and everyones time on a 3rd party.

Also - since nobody from Tesla is coming with the car- what happens if there's something wrong with it? Can I refuse delivery at that point? Or if it's minor enough I just need it as a "we owe" item- who agrees to it since nobody from Tesla is there?

Waiting for answers but this sounds more sketch than the method Ozymandius described he was going to be trying where an actual Tesla person delivers the car and he gets to do the paperwork AT the dealership instead of sending a check to Vegas.

So to follow up, I got answers back today-quoted below-

1. With the current situation in Raleigh I don’t believe the cars are able to go there since the problem is they have no space to hold them. Right now they’ll probably come from Charlotte.

2. If there is something horribly wrong with the vehicle you can always reject delivery with valid reason. If it’s something minor that needs to be fixed you can coordinate with the service center on getting that fixed.

This sounds... ok... but I'd feel a LOT better if someone from Tesla were actually delivering since they'd be able to agree on "minor but needs to be fixed" in writing with me at delivery.

Now I'm kind of torn on if I'm better off taking this option, or asking to take delivery personally in Charlotte.... I suppose if it's an enclosed truck I'm probably better PPF-wise going with the home delivery though

@Knightshade - ours was called a 3rd party delivery as well. I could have it wrong that a Tesla rep was present since I wasn't there, but there was a way to go over minor issues before the delivery driver left, and someone walked through using the key card/phone app to unlock and start the car with my husband. So someone at least familiar with the cars was on the delivery as well.

I don't think the actual process is new, just that they are opening up to more customers as being new. If your car is coming form CLT, I can recommend getting in touch with Justin in delivery. He is one that kept things moving for us, and did exactly what he said he was going to (aka - calling us back by the end of the day with a time frame, etc).

@Knightshade - ours was called a 3rd party delivery as well. I could have it wrong that a Tesla rep was present since I wasn't there, but there was a way to go over minor issues before the delivery driver left, and someone walked through using the key card/phone app to unlock and start the car with my husband. So someone at least familiar with the cars was on the delivery as well.

I don't think the actual process is new, just that they are opening up to more customers as being new. If your car is coming form CLT, I can recommend getting in touch with Justin in delivery. He is one that kept things moving for us, and did exactly what he said he was going to (aka - calling us back by the end of the day with a time frame, etc).

Thanks... I've asked my ISA if there's a "local" contact in either Charlotte or Raleigh I can work with directly if it's "easier on him" in hopes I can get a more direct line of contact on this (and maybe get FSD added that way too)... hopefully it's as you say and they're doing the same thing to solve the Raleigh issue as the type of delivery you received.

I've got a little over 3 weeks before my trade in offer and financing rate locks expire so hopefully they can get this moving soon :)

(plus if the worst happens and I have to reject the car I want to have enough time to have a shot to get a new one before Dec 31)

Reactions: Sg911
Just a heads up for Raleigh and Charlotte waiters... I had an appointment to pick my car up 9/22 in Charlotte and got an e-mail today saying I was set up for home delivery now. When I questioned it, here's what I got:

I understand the confusion here now that I’ve been able to look deeper. Right now NC with Charlotte and Raleigh are moving over to Direct Ships.

I work directly with the Charlotte and Raleigh delivery centers very closely and we’ve found that with some of the logistical issues that have been occurring that this would be the best way to get you your vehicle.

So new update-

"Your Model 3 is traveling from Fremont, CA to Birmingham, AL "

That's what they told me on August 20.

Today ISA states car is....in Birmingham. Still hasn't even gotten as far as Charlotte 3.5 weeks after leaving the factory.

I also asked how the trade in part would work for a home delivery- he said "From what I understand it’s pretty difficult to coordinate the trade with a direct delivery but I will look into that for you as this is still a new process for Raleigh."

Confidence this does not instill :(

Wilmington has fared better than coastal areas north of us; Topsail, New Bern, Atlantic Beach, etc. Hurricane wind gusts but only tropical storm level sustained winds. A lot of rain and a lot of trees down, especially in the downtown areas. We are doing fine. I have my Prius running to provide enough power for a refrigerator, lights and receptacles.

I received another email from Andrew explaining that my car will be delivered by a 3rd party covered truck, like the rest of you. He said that he wants to talk to me on the phone and I responded with when?

I also asked if a Tesla employee would be riding with the truck driver, which I have not heard a response.

It will likely take next week to clean up tree debris, get power restored and flooded roads to subside. So it looks like last week of September before I will be able to accept delivery. I am not sure where my car is but this will probably work out with the car getting to NC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sg911
Glad you're doing well, @jdcollins5 --- hopefully power comes back quickly - we've run into a bunch of linesmen who are staged up here to go help when the storm passes.

We heard on the radio that there were 22,000 units on standby to descend on this area when the wind gets below a certain level. Probably a lot in Raleigh as you have seen!

What are you seeing in Raleigh?

Thanks