Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday (Wednesday, April 13) I passed a Titanium Metallic Model S at 2:08 PM as it was heading into Ithaca on Route 79 West / State Street, heading down the hill, towards The Ithaca Commons. I was headed the other way, driving my black loaner Model S. (My P85D is at the service center for its Ludicrous upgrade, and other things.) I attempted to flash my high beams, but it was pretty last second, and I don't think the driver of the Titanium Model S noticed.

OK, this is a record for me. Three Model S random sightings in Ithaca, all within about fifteen minutes!

I was still driving the black Model S loaner. The first Model S sighting of the evening happened at about 7:40 PM or so. I was heading south-west on University Avenue on the Cornell campus, down the hill towards West Campus, and the other Model S, a dark one--probably black--was headed up the hill. I noticed it from far enough away that I flashed my lights several times, but I don't know if the other driver noticed or not. There was no indication that he did. (It did look like a youngish man driving.)

I dropped my daughter off at her apartment, chatting a couple of minutes, and continued downtown. I let my wife and mother-in-law out while stopped at the light at the intersection with The Commons, so they could see about getting a table for dinner, while I attempted to park. Just after turning the corner onto North Aurora Street (heading North) I realized there was a blue (new blue) Model S behind me. I pulled over as far to the left as I could, and lowered the passenger window on the right, as the Model S was going to pass on my right, and tried to wave as it did, but again there was no sign of any recognition.

My wife, who was on foot at this point, actually snapped a picture of this one. The picture, which shows the car has New Jersey plates, is below. The black loaner I was driving is also visible, further up, on the left.

I found a parking spot a block or two further up N. Aurora, but having seen how crowded the restaurants on the street were, I figured we'd be leaving and going somewhere else, so after I parked, I called my wife. The wait at the restaurant we had wanted to eat at was an hour and a half, so I told her where I was parked, and she and my mother-in law started walking the couple of blocks to where I was parked. Just as they got to the car, I spotted a dark Model S approaching from behind. I was parked on the right side of the one-way street, so I lowered my window and stuck my hand out, and this time the person waved as he went by. I'm not sure, but it could have been the same Model S I had passed fifteen minutes earlier, though he would have had to have been going somewhere else first, as the route he had been on would not have taken him to this location in any sort of direct path.

So it was at least two, and possibly three different Model S random sightings all in about fifteen minutes. In Ithaca! Crazy!

New Blue Model S Ithaca April 15 2016 Commons.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone
Today (Sunday) was one of the most summer-like days this year (so far) here in Silicon Valley, and today I saw more Tesla's (especially in the places I usually see them, e.g., Los Gatos), than I ever have in the past. Obviously, Teslas have continued to be the current most popular expensive car to be seen in by those who want to be seen in a nice car (true for the last three years and continuing to be so), in addition to those who prefer electric and prefer being less of a pollution problem and prefer to stop subsidizing dirty energy wars and religious terrorist reactions to those wars. I did not count, but it felt like between 3 and 6 dozen. They are becoming nearly ubiquitous.

I have noticed that Tesla's are not increasing in number in the less expensive parts of town. In fact, I'm seeing slightly less of them in the places less wealthy people live. I have a feeling that cost is a factor.

Also, I have been doing some mountain driving lately, on dirt roads commonly referred to as "jeep" roads, and I'm not seeing any Tesla's there at all, for obvious reasons. Also, Teslas have not penetrated the farming areas I often drive through.

I think cost is a huge factor, so when the Model 3 comes out at a lower price point, they will have solid sales; not only do people want the idea of Tesla, but I think they will also actually get one, if they can afford it, and many many more people will afford a Model 3. Distance is a real issue day to day, but not super long distance; this makes the Model 3 an obvious benefit since it can handle ample distance. People finally realize that most weeks, they don't even need to fill up on the road any more, since they just charge at home, and they love that. Superchargers just fill the gaps of the occasional road trip. As Tesla's become more popular, more people understand how they work, and they are comfortable with them. Having the roads filled with the luxury versions obviously has helped with this.

But after that, I think Tesla is not showing any obvious signs of entering the rugged vehicle side of the marketplace, such as trucks, pickups, jeeps, all-terrain vehicles, etc. (or even campers); indeed, this market tends to be populated by people who don't get along with the high end car marketplace, and would rather throw a bail of hay or mound of dirt into their vehicle than be fancy. But unless there's something that lithium batteries don't like about being shaken about, I don't see any reason why EV's ought to stay out of the rugged vehicle marketplace. I feel like Tesla's plans to go into Model 3, then swing back to Model S & Model X refreshes and improvements, would leave out the rugged side of the marketplace. Perhaps they're hoping other brands fill this gap, or are hoping they can branch out and develop multiple product lines simultaneously.

Last edited:
Elon Musk has said Tesla will produce a pickup at some point, but with the Model 3 Tesla is aiming towards a more humble market that the high end the S and X occupy. The long term mission is EVs for everyone, not just the wealthy. But Tesla is a classic high end disrupter, moving from the top end of the market down. That isn't unusual for new tech, most new technology starts out as expensive and only affordable for those with money to burn and then moves down market for everyone.

In the 1970s VCRs for home users existed and they were toys fro the rich. Around 1980 the price dropped to around $1000 and they took off in popularity. Tesla is doing the same thing.

Over the last year when I talk to people and the subject of Tesla comes around, I hear lots of lust for the cars, it's just nobody I'm talking to can afford a Model S or X. The 400,000 reservations for the Model 3 is an indication of that pent up demand. It's a major stretch for me to afford a Model S, but I'm doing it because it's the only car I looked at I really liked. My 24 year old Buick is nicer in some ways than most of the junk being sold by the mainstream car makers these days.

I have noticed that Tesla's are not increasing in number in the less expensive parts of town. In fact, I'm seeing slightly less of them in the places less wealthy people live. I have a feeling that cost is a factor.
People finally realize that most weeks, they don't even need to fill up on the road any more, since they just charge at home, and they love that.

I am on the East Coast and unfamiliar with that area. Could the 2nd case partially explain the first? While totally possible to own a Tesla without a garage or dedicated driveway, it is much more involved and complicated. Much of the simplicity is having a dedicated area at home to charge. Do the "less expensive parts of town" require curbside parking for instance?

I am on the East Coast and unfamiliar with that area. Could the 2nd case partially explain the first? While totally possible to own a Tesla without a garage or dedicated driveway, it is much more involved and complicated. Much of the simplicity is having a dedicated area at home to charge. Do the "less expensive parts of town" require curbside parking for instance?

Silicon Valley and the cities of the west coast in general have a lot of single family homes, even in the bad neighborhoods. Apartments and condos are often in complexes with a dedicated parking lot or parking garage. Silicon Valley is a weird place for real estate because houses in the poorest parts of town are often worth over $500,000. My SO grew up in Portland, but the rest of her father's extended family settled in east San Jose. I've been to her aunt's house and it's a working class neighborhood built in the 50s and she was an original owner. Her aunt has a garage, but few in that neighborhood has the kind of income to afford a Tesla.

Because of the nose bleed property prices in the Bay Area people who don't make 6-7 figures a year live in economic hardship. Many have to live a long ways out of town an drive a very long commute, which is ideal for a Tesla, but they don't have the money to buy one. Most drive older economy cars. A few are lucky to get subsidized housing or have a relative who was there before the property prices went nuts, but it's a very tough place to live if you're not in the top 5% of incomes.

My SO's ex-step son (her ex husbands son) lives down there and the closest place to the Bay Area where they could find a house they could afford was Manteca, CA. It's 70 miles from San Jose (probably a 2 hour commute when traffic is heave). 54 miles to Fremont, CA. I would not be surprised if some of the workers at the Tesla factory live in Manteca or somewhere around there.

The Bay Area has some mass transit, but it's far less extensive than what you see in most East Coast cities. Because so many people live in single family homes, the population density is much lower than on much of the east coast. (Row houses are rare and most houses have big enough lots to have space around them on all 4 sides.) In western cities some people who live in the city core and don't want to leave it can get away without having a car, but generally if you don't own a car, you're life is going to be miserable.

I know a guy who has a seizure disorder and can't get a driver's license. He lived here in Portland which has one of the best mass transit systems in the west, but he still had to plan out his travels or hitch a ride with someone and on mass transit he was limited to the city core. If he came out to see us (outer suburbs) we would have to pick him up from the last light rail stop. Otherwise he was looking at 1 1/2 hours on a bus to travel a distance you can cover in 20 minutes by car.

Yes Tesla made a deal, I guess, with the taxi company to drive with white Tesla's. Although I would pay to sit in one sure, the back seat is actually not very comfortable. I'd rather take the S class taxi or 7-series. Or even a Skoda Superb has much better rear seats. I don't find the Model S a very good car to be a taxi....

Yes Tesla made a deal, I guess, with the taxi company to drive with white Tesla's. Although I would pay to sit in one sure, the back seat is actually not very comfortable. I'd rather take the S class taxi or 7-series. Or even a Skoda Superb has much better rear seats. I don't find the Model S a very good car to be a taxi....

If Tesla taxis become more common they may bring back the executive seats for commercial Teslas?

@Pilot_51 - Pictures not showing up for me. Do you still have them?
Sorry, I used the G+ images directly and I guess that doesn't work on certain networks. Here they are...

IMG_20160413_120825.jpg

IMG_20160413_120907.jpg

Update: It looks like they finally got a full Model S test vehicle. As I was walking out of work on Monday last week, I saw the car carrier just outside the door and immediately suspected Tesla, which I confirmed as I approached and saw the car inside. Introduced myself to the guy (with I think a French accent) taking delivery and congratulated him assuming it was a normal owner delivery. It took a little while to sink in that it was only a test vehicle, as I asked where he worked after he told me maybe twice it was a test vehicle. As they were starting to unload it, I continued on my way only to return with my car because I was wondering if it was the new design (it wasn't, apparently a CPO since it has HOV stickers). Didn't take any photos, but my dashcam caught the moment.
2016-04-25_model-s-sighting-90.png