Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 99% sure that the sticker had paint armor on it, though I have no idea if it was on the car, although if it was done at the factory then I assume it would be on there already. I can tell you that the car was beyond shiny, to the point where the tires were so shiny my daughter asked why they were "wet". If that was at least in part due to the paint armor then sign me up! I can tell you I didn't notice any lines at all and looked at it a good long while, so it certainly blended in well with the Sig red.

If the car was that shiny, it's due to the paint, not the paint armor. There is a distinct difference in appearance on the areas where the armor ends and the paint begins. Anyone who gets a chance just look at your reflection in the armor, then compare it to the rest of the hood.

If the car was that shiny, it's due to the paint, not the paint armor. There is a distinct difference in appearance on the areas where the armor ends and the paint begins. Anyone who gets a chance just look at your reflection in the armor, then compare it to the rest of the hood.

Sorry -- I conflagrated two thoughts there. I'm almost certain the car had the paint armor, and it was barely noticeable, at least on the red, with respect to where the armor stopped and started.

Separate thought -- Tesla is going out of its way to make these cars look great at delivery. As spic and span as anything you'd get from a regular dealer, and probably better.

Saw my first Model S in the wild this evening (other than the Get Amped Tour). If you are the owner of the black Model S with 21" wheels that was driving west on I-88 between Oak Brook and Naperville (most likely coming from the Oak Brook store?) this evening around 6:00PM, I apologize for stalking you.

photo (2).JPG

BTW - You may have just brought me back from the edge of deferring.

It looks a lot like the founders car (#12) I saw in Chicago three weeks ago. It was an all black performance with 21" tires. Though I remember it having the darker rims and this looks more like silver rims.

The Tesla guys said that Chicago was Tesla's second biggest market after California. So they probably have got at least ten there by now.

Saw a silver one on 280 just outside sf in the far right lane. It was so easy to see from far away. I pulled up next to it, but was driving so couldn't snap a pic. Also, it was going like 40 on the freeway so I passed it and it never caught up to me :(. Must have been an employee testing stuff because it had no plates and was driving mad slow!

Anyone getting silver should be happy to know people will easily see you coming from a distance! Looked like an Aston.

July 7 at 5:30 PM a good friend was driving my RX400h through the Garden State Plaza in Paramus NJ and I saw a car that strongly resembled the Model S by the Neiman Marcus valet booth apparently being watched. My thought was S or another car when I looked back I said probably a Maserati but now I realized it was a Model S. Color was Red. I have been told this S is in the area from a reliable source.

Also, it was going like 40 on the freeway so I passed it and it never caught up to me :(. Must have been an employee testing stuff because it had no plates and was driving mad slow!

Interesting that it was driving so slow. I saw a black one on foothill expressway in Los Altos around 7pm a few nights back. It was also driving quite slow (maybe 35 in a 45). I thought that was a bit odd, almost wondering if the driver was testing turtle mode or something. Or perhaps they were going for the 400mi. club.

I also saw Jurvetson's in Menlo Park a week back. I did snap a few quick (bad) pics on my phone. Even for being a bit dirty it was very shiny (making it hard to discretely take a good pic in the bright sun) and it really looked great! A couple notes though, the paint armor was semi-noticeable on his sig red (though didn't really bug me and I've probably trained myself to look for it now), and there seemed to be a weird gap between his back right passenger door and the rear quarter panel near the handle that I hadn't noticed in previous photos. (Of course I didn't get a good pic of that, which I'm really kicking myself for, so it didn't happen, but anyone else that spots his car may want to look there.) But I did get a pic of his white EV carpool sticker slapped on next to his license plate. :-/ (Next time I'll try to get pictures of things that matter.) Can't seem to upload from an iPad or import from Dropbox so here are some Dropbox links:

Dropbox - Photo Aug 16, 4 02 50 PM.jpg - Simplify your life
Dropbox - Photo Aug 16, 4 01 57 PM.jpg - Simplify your life
Dropbox - Photo Aug 16, 4 01 39 PM.jpg - Simplify your life

Interesting approach. For some reason that placement doesn't bother me as much as the traditional bumper placement. I also heard of folks putting it in the corner of the rear window.

Yeah, I thought it looked okay there. I don't think it really matches with the instructed placement, but I doubt you'd get much trouble about it. (Although he didn't have one on the right quarter panel either.)

Just noticed that he has a CHP 11-99 license plate frame. Probably a good accessory to go with a perf model. :smile:

Can we all just promise each other that if we do put HOV stickers on the car, we'll put them on straight? I can't tell you how many cars I've seen with the sticker just sort of randomly stuck someplace, crooked. Yeesh. If you can't do a competent job yourself, take it to a body shop or a vinyl graphics shop and get it done professionally. You'll be looking at it for at least three years, and more if the program is extended. :cool: