Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without the VIN for the car, I don't think you can assume that.

Peter

Here's a shot of the rear of the blue test drive car in the Menlo Park store. The sun was coming from the right. Notice how the gap on the right side, which is most effected by the sun's angle, looks larger than that on the right. When I put my camera down and inspected the car with my own eyes, I was not at all troubled. We just can't trust photographs. I'd be most interested in the personal eyes-on judgments of those who have taken delivery. If they're concerned, then those of us waiting our turn should be as well.

DSC_2314.JPG

Without the VIN for the car, I don't think you can assume that.

We just can't trust photographs. I'd be most interested in the personal eyes-on judgments of those who have taken delivery. If they're concerned, then those of us waiting our turn should be as well.

I agree...for the most part. However, in the photograph of the silver one, there is no lighting issue. Both sides are essentially equally shaded. Now, srram said s/he saw the car at work -- not at a store (unless s/he works for Tesla). It still doesn't have a plate, so I think it would be reasonable, although not definitive, to assume that the one s/he photographed is a newly owned and delivered car and not a RC, beta, or otherwise. It's probably a Performance Sig. Even though we don't know the VIN, it appears that the gaps in this case appear to be an issue.

Last edited:
That's an awful lot of assumptions. It could just as well be VIN S000003. CA doesn't require tags for the first 6 months after delivery.

Peter

I agree...for the most part. However, in the photograph of the silver one, there is no lighting issue. Both sides are essentially equally shaded. Now, srram said s/he saw the car at work -- not at a store (unless s/he works for Tesla). It still doesn't have a plate, so I think it would be reasonable, although not definitive, to assume that the one s/he photographed is a newly owned and delivered car and not a RC, beta, or otherwise. It's probably a Performance Sig. Even though we don't know the VIN, it appears that the gaps in this case appear to be an issue.

That's an awful lot of assumptions. It could just as well be VIN S000003. CA doesn't require tags for the first 6 months after delivery.

Spoke with the owner (someone I know). The car was delivered on wednesday. Honestly, the gap did not seem bad to me when I looked at it closely

This newly delivered​ car has a gap. I'm glad it didn't seem bad in person. That is all I'm sayin'.

Saw two recently in the Bay Area.

One red Sig. Grey 21" wheels, plate and spoiler so it was probably a Sig Performance, perhaps even a Founder. This was a weekday morning driving up 85N and she (driver was a woman) got off at Saratoga Ave.

Saw a silver Sig today on 880 heading south. 21" inch silver wheels, no spoiler, no plate yet. Guy driving had a blue baseball cap on and probably got off at Hamilton Ave.

Both looked great. Love the red color in particular. And the LED daytime running lights on the silver car looked very cool.

Spotted today in Menlo Park, not far from the showroom. I pulled a quick U-turn so I could stop and gawk at the beautiful Signature Red Performance with silver wheels, a spoiler and the white interior. As I was gawking, the owner came up, and said that she had taken delivery last week. She said the car is really a lot of fun. And then, silently, away they went. :)

IMG_3818.JPG

I saw my first S in the wild today! And it was in Delaware!

I've been a huge Tesla fan and stock holder for some time, but sadly not yet a reservation holder. Probably have to wait for the Gen 3.

But cruising up Papermill road just outside of Newark, DE I passed a white S waiting to turn at a light. I rolled down my window and honked with a big thumbs up. My kids (5 & 3) thought I was crazy, but the little old lady driving smiled and waved back. There were no plates on the car, and I assumed it would be years before I would actually see one outside of a store, or over 100 miles from a store, but there it was, and it was awesome!

Last weekend I convinced my wife to go check out the new store in North Jersey, and I think she really liked it too. We'll see what the future holds...

Thanks,
Wayne

Spotted another one (no picture, sorry) at 8:22PM 10/23/12 on southbound CA-9 between Saratoga Avenue and Fruitvale Avenue (Saratoga, CA).

It was night, but I immediately recognized it was a Model S by the headlights behind me. Turned off to head home and a white (possibly silver) S, no plates, cruised along towards Los Gatos.

Hopefully someday soon, I'll be the one who's randomly sighted! :) :)

/Mitch.

Spotted today in Menlo Park, not far from the showroom. I pulled a quick U-turn so I could stop and gawk at the beautiful Signature Red Performance with silver wheels, a spoiler and the white interior. As I was gawking, the owner came up, and said that she had taken delivery last week. She said the car is really a lot of fun. And then, silently, away they went. :)

What's the deal with no rear license plate? Is that a California thing?